Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Christmas (Kiribati) Island Trip
March 06, 2011, 09:24:00 AM
Have booked a trip away in may to Kiribati Island through Duncan at Fish Head.  I am treating it mainly as a popping, jigging and plastics trip, but might try and have a flick with a fly rod for the bones.  Just curious with this trip if any one has been there are somewhere similiar is there anything different that you need to take on the trip that you wouldn't on say a nomad trip or something similar to them.  I have all of the normal gear, rods, reels, poppers etc, pliers gloves but just wondering of anything else, have been told I need to buy wading style boots for walking on the coral etc.  Anything you could think of would be muchly appreciated as I don't want to get over there and think shit wish I had that, as there is no where to buy it over there.

Thanks Andrew

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Christmas (Kiribati) Island Trip
March 06, 2011, 10:24:38 AM
Andrew, I've been twice on fly trips. It's incredible.

Best to expect that there is nothing there, coz there pretty much isnt. There is a couple of general stores, but there is not a lot in them.

Take some cash for tipping.
Be self sufficient for tackle.
Take some basic tackle to leave with the local's, they really appreciate it eg spools of mono, hooks, sinkers, old lures, jig heads etc.
For boots, try bites, patagonia marlwalker and simms flatsboots and sneakers. take wading socks and gravel guards if you can, you really gotta look after your feet over there.
Take heaps of sun screen and protection, the sun is harsh.
Take emodium (particularly at the mini hotel), panadol, anti histamines etc.
Dont drink the tap water, or clean your teeth with it.

The guides get a few japanese GT and jig anglers thru. I was last there in 08 and there werent many sounders on the island then.

Some of the guides arent proficient at speaking english but understand it fine, a smile and common courtesy goes a long way with them.

You'll have a ball, wish I was going on that trip.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 12:50:16 PM
There was a Fishing World spread done on this place last year. I dont have the mag anymore but have a look in google and see what you can find.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 08:50:57 AM
tv.shimano.co.jp, search the video section they did a show on chtistmas island.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 09:04:33 AM
If you do wade, take some bike shorts or skins. Wading rash is a killer!

The obvious SPF lip-balm and sun protection - you are right on the equator and the sun is a killer!

Very humid - so clothes don't dry too quickly, keep that one in mind!

David Hallifax

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 30, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
Hi Andrew

I am planning a few days fishing there in late June so I would be keen to find out how you go with your trip.  I am still trying to bed down a charter and accommodation so any recommendations you have would be well recieved. 

Like yourself I am taking my popping gear and soft plastics for a bit of fund and might throw a fly rod if time permits.  I have a week there with the family. 

Cheers
Have

Kurt Carlson

April 30, 2011, 03:42:08 PM
If you all want to read a good funny story about this place, read "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" by J. Maarten Troost.  It is really a good fun read.