Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
light popping reels
October 19, 2007, 01:26:54 PM
I was wondering - for lighter popping applications, is there any need to pay the money for a Stella? I mean, if I am looking for a 30lb outfit, what advantage does a Stella offer over a Twinpower HG? The drag for the Twinpower should be more than adequate.

I'm currently looking for a 4000 sized reel and was going to get the new Stella but wondering why I would spend that much if the Twinpower will do the job.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: light popping reels
October 19, 2007, 02:28:08 PM
I was wondering - for lighter popping applications, is there any need to pay the money for a Stella? I mean, if I am looking for a 30lb outfit, what advantage does a Stella offer over a Twinpower HG? The drag for the Twinpower should be more than adequate.

I'm currently looking for a 4000 sized reel and was going to get the new Stella but wondering why I would spend that much if the Twinpower will do the job.

Hi Brandon ,

I have BC75MH mated with Twinpower 4000HG , have caught GT ( very hard ) up to 15 kg and YFT up to 20 kg ( almost stripped ) with the outfit using 30 lbs. Tuffline XP . I have hooked a 40' whale shark too and everybody onboard had fish fighting lesson trying to dislodge the lure from the fin of that whale shark , we lost the lure after 2 hrs. of boat ride around the bay , don't think the fish felt anything but probably bothered by the boat hovering above it .

The handle is shorter than most GT rods we know but you can get BC78H which is the same rod but with longer handle ( more expensive too ) , however in reality as far as PE3 popping rod is concerned , I think there are many blanks that can be customised to make an excellent rod provided you can find the blank to make the offset handle .

Jon .
Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:07:59 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 04:09:32 PM
So does that mean you like the twinpower Jon Li?

I was looking at a number of reels for this purpose as well, and the ones on the shortlist were the blast, or now the catalina, or the twinpower 8000. Im still undecided as to which is more suitable at under the stella prices.

lonhro

October 19, 2007, 04:43:12 PM
What about the Biomaster 8000 PG.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 07:15:15 PM
The Twinpowers 6000/8000 seem to be mentioned a fair bit on other oversea sites for 30-50lb spinning/popping outfits, my own view on size is the 4000 is more a 15-20lb reel. I have the 2500, 4000 and 6000 Twinpowers and while they are in a different class to Stellas they are top reels in their own class.
The currant reel I am using for 30lb spinning/popping is the 'Ddddaiwa'  Emblem Pro which I have just added a handle upgrade from Bluewater. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 07:26:25 PM
So does that mean you like the twinpower Jon Li?

I was looking at a number of reels for this purpose as well, and the ones on the shortlist were the blast, or now the catalina, or the twinpower 8000. Im still undecided as to which is more suitable at under the stella prices.

Hi Andrew ,

During the early days of NOMAD , a couple American friends of mine went and they caught a dogtooth tuna weighing 90 kg using Twinpower 8000PG and the same reel was used numerous time fishing YFTs with me and I can attest this reel is good . On the other hand , we had 2 broken Z4500s , one of them happened to me so I am not too confident with Z4500 or Blast/Catalina for that matter .

Mind you , the broken Z4500s were repaired by Daiwa but it took a long time as they have to be sent back to Japan for the repaire and no doubt scrutiny , luckily we have the video when it happened on mine . Now that Z4500 is mated to an OH56MH-S filled with PE4 line .

Jon .
Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:06:08 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 07:28:40 PM
Greg, I've got a Stella 6000. I may as well use this for 30lb then!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 08:12:18 PM
Brandon, I thought you had an unused Stella 6000 or 8000 tucked away in a closet somewhere ::)

While the twinpowers are a top class reel for casting and using soft plastics, I don't believe they are seriously dedicated jigging reels.
I have read jigging articles over the last few years where Twinpower 6000s are recommended for 30-50lb Jigging, I have no doubt they can handle the job over a short period, Cams Sustain 6000 [similar reel] started getting a bit loose after six months of steady jigging :-\.

Brandon, if your heart is on a twinpower 6000 I'll 'reluctantly' swap mine for the Stella ;)L&L&LOL

Andrew, what reel are you upgrading from?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 08:23:57 PM
I was thinking of popping, not jigging. I have no idea how to jig properly in any event. Jigging for me is not an event that happens very often and usually only when there are doggies around!
Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:53:43 PM by Brandon Khoo

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 19, 2007, 10:40:21 PM
Greg,

I will be upgrading from a penn 850ssm....Its a good reel, but isnt as light as I would like when matched to the dorado rod, and the deep spool hinders casting a little bit......

Andrew

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 21, 2007, 12:37:11 PM
Anyone use a Quantum Cabo 60 ?
I have been using one over the past 2 and half years and it has taken many GT over 20kg in my hands as well as a couple of friends of mine.
I spool it with 50lb Power Pro although I have used 65lb braid on it as well but capacity suffers a bit. With 50lb and on a T Curve 24kg popping rod it is a very good match.
The retrieve is a bit slow but the construction and durability cannot be faulted and that ceramic drag is awesome.
Quantum also is very good at back up and spare parts which can be ordered from their website should you need them.
I was so impressed I bought the larger 80 size as well which can take 230 yards of 80lb braid. That is proving to be quite a GT reel as well.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 21, 2007, 06:50:12 PM
So, if I buy a twinpower 8000 that isnt available here in Aus and something goes wrong how do I get it repaired...since we sell the 6000 here are the parts the same other than the spool ?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 23, 2007, 09:28:20 PM
Check out the new Sustain with all the recent enhancements: Paladin Gear Durability Enhancement, Aero Wrap 2 Oscillation System & Propulsion Line Management System.

I saw, and got to use briefly on the weekend and it didn't miss a beat. I reckon an 8000 would be my obvious choice if i couldn't afford a Stella.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 01:27:14 AM
Im using my Stella 5000FA for my PE3 fishing. So I would imagine the new 4000 is even better with 7kg optimum drag and up to 11kg to use which is more than plenty for PE3. Only downside is trying to get enough line capacity. Think my 5000 only holds probably no more than 250m of PE3.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 08:00:26 AM
On a tackle site, they have that the twinpower is equivalent to the US sustain...does that mean as well that the TP8000 is the same as the AU Sustain in the same size ? How much difference is there?