Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishing DVD - Hooked
October 24, 2007, 08:33:02 AM
I got a DVD a few days ago titled "Hooked" by Dave Butfield. It's a good DVD in that before he goes fishing for each species, Dave Butfield will actually talk through the tackle etc which they use and then off they go. It's quite entertaining and the guidance is very useful.

There is one segment on fishing for GTs off Exmouth. They're casting over an area that have GTs stamped all over it with shallow bommies everywhere when the bird he is fishing with hooks up. She must be fishing something like 6-8kg of drag because the fish strips off something like 50m or more of line. Amazingly, the fish doesn't cut her off! I was absolutely incredulous that she could let a fish of that size (20kg plus) run that far or even 1/5 that far and survive. I've fished areas that looked a lot like that where any line out is death. Anyway, they chase the fish all over the place in the gameboat before landing it. It's a good segment and the areas is just beautiful.

The only ridiculous part is that at one stage, she is holding onto the rod with one hand and states that she has about fifteen kilos of drag on the reel (yeah right). A 70kg fish could not take that much line against fifteen kilos of drag!

I don't think Halco would have been very impressed though (even if I was) - at the start of the segment, the salesperson from Bluewater in Exmouth recommends that you change the hooks on the big Roosta poppers. Nice to see independent advice being given!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Fishing DVD - Hooked
October 24, 2007, 08:39:50 AM
I saw that episode as well. Pretty good. And yep, no idea how she survived to bring that in without getting cut off. Maybe as the drag wasnt that wound up - it was the light touch that helped out as the fish just tried to swim away instead of reefing.

His DVDs and shows are the more useful out of them all as he does talk through the tackle and rigging as opposed to the 'look at what I caught' shows....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 08:45:16 AM
I've tried the freespooling approach on GTs before. It's worked once and the other couple of times, I've looked like an absolute idiot! If you have any tension on your line even if it is only six kilos or so, it's a goner if it touches a bommie

Dave is very good - I enjoy his shows. Good life, isn't it!

Stephen Wan

October 24, 2007, 08:17:50 PM
I got a DVD a few days ago titled "Hooked" by Dave Butfield. It's a good DVD in that before he goes fishing for each species, Dave Butfield will actually talk through the tackle etc which they use and then off they go. It's quite entertaining and the guidance is very useful.

Hello Brandon

Is "Hooked" the full name of the title?

Since I've cancelled my trip to the Maldives..thought I'd get some DVDs instead.

Cheers
Stephen

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 08:23:41 PM
Dave is very good - I enjoy his shows. Good life, isn't it!

I wouldn't go as far to say that mate ::)

Hal Harvey

October 24, 2007, 09:06:04 PM
I haven't actually watched the DVD (apparently I'm on it too somewhere, playing tackle store guy), but the GT in question is shown on the bottom of this page... http://www.ownerhooks.com.au/photogallery.html ... Jeni Lerch. I'm surprised if Jeni said that much drag - she knows her stuff and she knows it was PE4 - and it was a genuinely difficult spot. They took the Black Watch where no BW26 was ever meant to go!

This is the DVD: www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1766

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 09:06:43 PM
oh, i don't know, Luke. I wouldn't mind doing it if I could retain my level of earnings!  :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 09:10:34 PM
let me confirm - I've just put it on
I don't mind watching it again. The area around Exmouth just looks fantastic!

I haven't actually watched the DVD (apparently I'm on it too somewhere, playing tackle store guy), but the GT in question is shown on the bottom of this page... http://www.ownerhooks.com.au/photogallery.html ... Jeni Lerch. I'm surprised if Jeni said that much drag - she knows her stuff and she knows it was PE4 - and it was a genuinely difficult spot. They took the Black Watch where no BW26 was ever meant to go!

This is the DVD: www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1766

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2007, 09:23:31 PM
Hal is right - it wasn't her who said it. She says that she's got the drag about as tight as she can have it and Dave is the one who says it is about 15 kilos.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 25, 2007, 08:48:26 AM
Dave does have a few 'Mr Bean' moments on his shows ::), there is usually a giggle or two in each episode on Austar. :D
Greg 'FFF' Burt