tim watson

New to the game and I know this is probably jumping in at the deep end and from what i read you have to be lucky/expert to land these fish. Does any one have any advice?

Kurt Carlson

Hey Tim,
Can you tell me a little bit about where you are fishing.  I have done a lot of land based fishing for GTs.  What kind of advice are you looking for, lure choice, working lures, fighting fish?

tim watson

Hi Kurt
im really thinking fighting as there is gonna be the structure of the jetty to worry about and easy io guess to get cut off etc?
Also in your opinion whether to aim for the end of the jetty to fish from - does that make it easier to land em?

tim watson

Hi Kurt
sorry im v. tired and forgot to say im fishing on and around hammilton island in the whitsunday islands. I have been told that the jettys near the airport are good at night and that there are resident gt;s to 25kg's.....got poppers as well as other types of lures and will have abundant live bait (hopefully) the bait comes in at night. cheers

Kurt Carlson

Hey Tim,
Sorry, but I am not familiar with your area.  Fighting a fish from the bricks is definitely the hardest one to cover.  You are going to have to keep the fish away from any structure and I can only think of a couple of ways to do that when land based.  IMO you got to be ready to move fairly quickly when the fish heads for structure and you got to have your drag tight enough to pull it away from rocks.  Easier said than done.    I have also found that keeping the rod tip high can sometimes help the line clear submerged rocks, but don't go too high if the fish is close as it could result in a broken rod.  If you are fishing at night, some of the old-time Ulua (GT) fisherman I know in Hawaii would use a strong torch to somewhat steer the fish away from rocks.  I have never seen this done, but have heard from many people that it works.

Is the jetty made of stones, or is it a type of pier where the fish could swim under it?

tim watson

Hi Kurt
looking at google maps it looks like a newish structure and its where i think the small ferries dock - hard to say but i think your comment on the torch works as i have doen something similar when carp fishing in the uk. if the light is constant they seem to not scare so much but just keep back sometimes better to flash the light on and off - sort of blinds them and confuses them enough for your to sort of force the issue and guide them else where.Worth a try any way...i dont think its a floating pontoon so i presume fixed and gonna be hard keeping them away. im hoping that they will take a bait and swiom away heading towards the reef and being a way away from that that i will be able to play them in safe water rather than fighting them under the rod tips. i hear that there is also grouper and a range of other predators and so i guess it will be a mixed bag and so may have some practice before a gt bites...thanks gain for your thoughts and ideas etc gratefully recieved. cheers

Stewart Martin

Hi Tim,

I was a fishing guide out of Hamilton Island and fished that Jetty that you're talking about quite a bit.

Security will kick you off regularly though so you have to be sneaky and fish it at night!

The GT's head around the point of the adjacent rock wall (Northern end) almost every time and dust you on the rocks.

You have to fish heavy PE8 or more and go hard on them, or fish from an anchored boat with a bouy attached to your anchor rope so you can chase them quickly.

Theres some monster GT's there for sure, and you can sometimes see them hitting bait under the lights.

Good luck and let me know if u need more info.

tim watson

Hi Stewart

Thanks for the message.

It sounds a bit of a downer re the security, can i fish from the rocks around there or from the rock wall front of the marina? Why do security kick you off, is it too near the airport? Does security clock off at any time?

Are there any other places that you know of on the island that you can fish without security hassling you? I was told that I could fish on the island, gutted if i carn't. Im not just fishing for the Gt's I will have ago at anything as long as it pulls back?

Really grateful for anything you can tell me. ;D

Stewart Martin

Hey mate yes its just the Jetty that that you cant fish off as its very close to the landing strip.

Be careful after a few violations they can threaten you with a "NBO" or next boat out.

There is a few land based spots but do yourself a favour and get a tinny or befriend someone on the island with a boat...lots more options then.

Glad I could help buddy. ;)

tim watson

Hi Stewart

Thanks for that, panic over, I was gonna hirer a tinny boat - but im more a shore angler and feel happier there & probably safer there haha. Is the hiring of tinny boats expensive and can you borrow them over night?

I take it from your message that the marina walls are ok to fish from then? I wont be bait fishing really spinning and possibly live baiting.

The Gt is a dream of catching one from land, so I will be going for anything that turns up.

Is the island signed where you cannot fish?

I reckon my wife and kid would kill me if i got caught and on the NBO - so the risk may only be taken if im fishless after 10 days. Also been told that the ponds down by the airport are good for barra - is this the case?

Befriending someone is an option - are they open to that sort of thing or do people keep them selves to themselves and if so where are they found?

With a young family I was thinking of fishing first light and dusk/night on hit and run tactics.

I have been told that structure and bommies are the go - im hoping that there are places i can fish from the shore as the boat options may be limited. Thinking of the 2 charters - but heard good and bad about them, what do you think of the operations - been told that one is up for sale?

Any tips/info is gratefully recieved asn I am having to balance the fishing with the family and so want to not waste time and give myself every chance.

Thanks again. :D