Ben Kempton

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What reel to buy
June 07, 2011, 09:45:45 AM
Hey all

I was hoping for a few suggestions on what a good reel is to buy . I have been thinking of going all out and getting the saltiga dogfight (I have saved for that price reel) but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations.

Thanks

Ben

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: What reel to buy
June 07, 2011, 09:56:15 AM
Stella 18000SW  :P

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 12:24:53 PM
You can't beat a Stella  :)

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 12:37:03 PM
Hi Ben,

I am assuming that the reel is for popping as this is the most practical application for a Dogfight.
There are the 2 main brands to consider here like Shimano (18000SW and 10000SW) and Daiwa (Dogfight, S-Extreme Maverick, 6000GT as well as the new 5000H, etc......).
There are also other brands but i wont bother as you stated you saved for a Saltiga level reel and i don't want to open a can of worms on other brands.

There are many discussions on this site both for and against "Stella VS Saltiga". I suggest you perform a search and the info found should answer your questions.

If you want opinions, i like the Dogfight also.

This post should probably be in the 'GT Popping Tackle & Technique' section also.

Cheers,

Chris
Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:39:13 PM by Chris Webster

Ben Kempton

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 04:23:37 PM
Hey thanks chris

Sorry About that I am only new to the site and not that familiar yes Its going to be used for popping but also stick baiting. And I am hoping to also dabble in a bit jigging. I realise the dogfight has a higher ratio then then Stella 20000 for jigging. Would it make life that much harder using the dogfight?

Thanks

Ben

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
Ben it is a little hard to make an accurate recommendation without knowing exactly how / where you intend to fish, depending on the line classes you are looking to fish (popper size, location, rod weight, size of target fish etc.), you could consider a slightly smaller reel with a better range of spool sizes for a one reel does all option (and buy more spools over time).

If you are thinking PE6 - PE8, could I suggest a Stella SW10000/8000 as a base (in the HG, not PG).  At a pinch, the 8000 size spool will allow a better retreive ratio for jigging (with enough line for up to PE5 or 6 in most terrain).  Swap to a 10000 spool for stickbaiting and popping with PE6.  And consider a 12000sw or 16000SOM spool for PE8 popping.

This is a very versatile way of getting into the game, and a reel of this size and quality will always have a place on a trip offshore.  I haven't looked closely into it, but the new range of saltigas (2010) sharing 4000, 4500, and 5000 spools may provide similar functionality - but on a slightly lighter scale scale (PE4 - 6).

If your aim is PE8 - 10, then the recommendations by other are the most logical choice - buy confidently then go hard!

As others have said, both Stella and Saltiga are great reels - pick the one with the features that suits you best.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 04:58:27 PM
I have tested the thoeries first hand recently and offer my opinion.

*High speed is hard for jigging but unless the jigs are huge (400g+) and the water is very deep its not too bad. Excellent for popping and stickbaiting.
*Low speed reels make jigging a bit easier but are a lot harder to pop all day with. Although they are much better when fighting a fish.

If I was to go for one reel I would go for a 18000sw personally, I love the Stellas. I have alot of arm power but not very good hand speed so that suits my style alot better. If I had faster hands and a lot more stamina I would probably go for a 20000sw as an all rounder.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 08:13:15 PM
The one exception I will make to what Ben has written is if you're using really huge poppers. I find the low gear ratio reel easier to use for the big poppers. You tend to work big poppers very slowly anyway and the extra winding power makes a big difference
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 09:28:21 PM
Ben if you want the best forget the rest and get yourself a Saltiga.
DAIWAreels are the best.  :)
Cheers,
Rob

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 09:41:16 PM

I think it's funny that 99% of the reels in the videos down the side of the page from the link in your signature feature Stella...guess they would disagree with that statement  ;D  :P

Ben Kempton

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 10:37:10 PM
hey all

thanks heaps for all the great advice its definately given me more to consider.  im looking at the PE8 to 10 range and the idea of having multipl spools ould definately help being more versatile. anyway i have some thinking to do before i start spending

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 07:40:10 AM

I think it's funny that 99% of the reels in the videos down the side of the page from the link in your signature feature Stella...guess they would disagree with that statement  ;D  :P

Ha ha ha. Thats gold!

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 09:12:20 AM
Ben, here are links to some detailed reviews of the Saltiga, Stella and 2010 saltiga by Alan Hawk... great information and worth a read before making a decision ;)

http://www.stripersonline.com/forum/thread/381495/saltiga-z-6000-the-review
http://www.stripersonline.com/forum/thread/768370/daiwa-saltiga-2010-the-review
http://www.stripersonline.com/forum/thread/647666/shimano-stella-sw-the-review

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 01:04:14 PM
Both are awesome - both catch fish - both will give you a long service life if you look after them and both will fit the bill for you nicley - so it comes down to how it will look on the rod you choose - for me KD and Dogfight...very nice and does the job......  :)

I'm going fishing - Have Fun !

8)

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 01:05:29 PM
yeah every one has their own Opinion all i can say is i have Stella 5000sw, 10000sw,18000sw,20000sw, and they rock simple as that.. never let me down
so far..  ;)