Andrew Cox

Re: Chesterfield Islands Who's Been There ?
July 04, 2011, 07:14:45 AM
There is not much info out there apart from Matt Watsons report, I dont think to many have been there as it is a big mission, a few photos below from there, I think its going to be rather insane fishing out there.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 04, 2011, 06:38:03 PM
Ahh.. those are the doggies I was talking about  8)

And that is a very respectable GT too  ;)

Brett Habener

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 04, 2011, 08:02:20 PM
Pretty sure this is from that Chesterfeild trip mentioned already.
If they are coming up for skipbaits like that you would expect them to respond well to poppers and sticks.

http://youtu.be/nFqFPrAjGQs

Aaron Concord

July 04, 2011, 08:10:59 PM
NICE!!!!!

And the Ultimate Lady would be a hell of a rig to fish there too.
It's one of the few boats getting around designed for long sea hauls.
It's no caravan on water which makes you spew with the first hint of swell like most motherships!!!!

Brett,
I'm glad you put the Youtube clip up because I was about to ask the question "has anyone seen the footage Matt shot here for this story"...............the clip says it all!

Dogtooth........they are wicked animals!!!

Aaron.

Andrew Cox

July 04, 2011, 08:22:38 PM
Jay, thats the doggies I am after, 70-80kg those bad boys, I was told the GT estimated at 50kg was caught at anchor  ;D

Brett you said you were planning a trip next year how about this ? this was the trip I emailed your work about, sounds ok doesn't it  ;)

Aaron, we are not doing this trip on the Ultimate Lady, I dont think I would see any change out of $20,000 if we were.

I wish the trip was this year and not next !

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2011, 09:04:06 PM
Pretty sure this is from that Chesterfeild trip mentioned already.
If they are coming up for skipbaits like that you would expect them to respond well to poppers and sticks.

http://youtu.be/nFqFPrAjGQs

Seems like such a waste to go to such an awesome destination and troll skipbaits  ???

Each to their own, I guess.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 05, 2011, 09:46:39 AM
That you tube footage is sweet, how good is that footage of the fish coming sideways at the bait, opening its gob and just smashing it in there!

I had a decent one come up and follow a stickbait all the way to the boat at Bligh, still makes me tingle. Dammit, why wouldn't it eat!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 05, 2011, 10:06:03 AM
Me too Aaron! It's been on the list of a long time but back then you needed French Skipper apparently, and of course, to pretty much do an immigration check just to fish there!

The place does get comm fished - mainly for Yellowfin. I'm sure there would be some other harveting going on there unfortunately  :( But it's lucky it's remote  8)

Aaron Concord

July 05, 2011, 01:02:22 PM
Jay,

I guess the footage reflects perhaps how they felt they "needed" to fish to get the filming scenes in finished.
I too, feel that it's a loooooooong way to go to then pitch a bait over the transom!
Also, the UL isn't the smallest vessel to cast poppers out of. It hasn't the casting aptitude of a 25 Contender or 255 Boston Whaler......maybe they were stuck with this method as opposed to how most of us on this forum would like to do in a place like that.
Certainly, if there was only one half keyed up GT fanatic onboard, even back then in 2007, anyone who had been lucky enough to see how deadly a stick bait is on dogtooth, they would have probably had at least one person doing that and they would have gotten awesome footage.
At Marion Reef, a heap of doggies went out of their way to cream GT Gammas within 10m of the boat so there is certainly places where doggies will feed so close, the camera man on the deck gets wet from the attacks!  I should know  ;)

Andrew,
It was merely a remark on the type of vessel that, if money was no issue, I'd go on in a blink!
I realize 99% of the forum members do not have that money to blow on a single trip, so more affordable and (lets be honest!) less sea-kind boats are our mode of transport.

Scott,
Admittedly, it's been a few years since I have eyeballed a doggie, though it did frustrate at times their moodiness, or lack thereof.  Those olive torpedoes show now mercy initially, only to wise up and head back to patrol the "kennel entrance" from where they came from.
No fish has surprised me with their learning nature as much as dogtooth have.........period.

Luke,
Yep, there were hoops galore back when Damon and I had one too many reds and figured on storming the place in Odyssey.........that's why we wanted to go.......it was faaaar out. Beyond the scope of most boats.
Aw well........I need to get this back of mine a bit better before I charge off the face of the planet just yet anyway, so as long as its just a bit of light longlining, hopefully it will still be in good nick when I CAN get there!
My only concern is if this Federal waters frigging Coral Sea debacle really makes an impact on the Coral Sea Atolls for access........well, you know where the pressure will head to..............

Aaron.

Brett Habener

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 05, 2011, 02:12:53 PM
Jay, thats the doggies I am after, 70-80kg those bad boys, I was told the GT estimated at 50kg was caught at anchor  ;D

Brett you said you were planning a trip next year how about this ? this was the trip I emailed your work about, sounds ok doesn't it  ;)

Aaron, we are not doing this trip on the Ultimate Lady, I dont think I would see any change out of $20,000 if we were.

I wish the trip was this year and not next !

If I had some more coin I would be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake coxy. 80kg Doggies and 50kg GTs is tempting but just cant afford it at this stage :(

Max Grimbacher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 12:06:32 PM
Years ago there were articles in Australian Fishing World written by David Green about trips out to Kenn, Fredrick, Saumarez Wreck reefs. They were in a converted commercial boat that was based in central queensland (Gladstone or Yepoon or Mackay?) that did trips out there regularly with groups of recreational fishos.

I remember reading about one trip out much further than these reefs where they were in french waters because they had to get permission and maybe visas etc. I can't remember exactly what reefs they were but i do remember reading about constant problems with sharks.

Looking through this list of Coral sea reefs;
http://www.oceandots.com/pacific/coralsea
I notice the Chesterfields and nearby Bellona reef as being the only canditaties that sit in french territorial waters. I'm not sure how comprehensive that list is but i therefore gather that the article i am thinking about was most likely written on that Chesterfield area.

If you wanted more info you could follow up on that lead by looking for David Green.
The above info is my memory of what i read from over a decade ago, so there is likely to be some inaccuracies - take it with a grain of salt and if someone knows more feel free to correct it...

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 04:44:21 PM
I'll have a chat with Roley from Top Catch Tauranga next week Andrew, he was there last year.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Cox

July 20, 2011, 07:54:02 PM
Thanks for the info Max.

Sounds good Greg, he may have been on the boat with the boys im going with next year.

Cheers Coxy
Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:57:27 PM by Andrew Cox