Bart Wrobel

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Zenaq Trevally FC83-7 or saltiga SG GT 86?
October 21, 2011, 09:17:58 PM
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a new rod for chasing Kings off the rocks in Sydney. I fish 70% with livies, 20% spinning garfish and i am only new to poppers and stick baits. I was set on getting the saltiga SG GT 86 as i have fished with a mates previously. In the zenaq range i was thinking of the Trevally FC83-7 or the Trevally FC80-10. I am sure someone has owned these rods and could give some insight.

So questions are?
For my type of fishing (kings lgb) which is better?
I tend to be a little rough with gear which is better make?
For popping which is better?

I am fishing with a saltiga 6500 exp running Jerry brown 80lb
Thanks
Bart
Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:35:26 PM by Bart Wrobel

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Bart

I own the Zenaq 83/7 and can say it is one of my favourite rods for lbg stick baits and poppers for exactly the purpose you have described. I run a 10000SW with 65lb tuffline and either 60lb up to 100lb leader. I think a 6500 with 80lb would be fine also. In fact I'm currently searching for a JM 16000 Monster spool to run 80lb on the setup.

The rods casting sweet spot is ~130g, and I think you wouldn't push too far past 150g. An FCL Labo CSP S220S with hardware weighs 150g and is the biggest stickbait I throw and the rod works this lure very nice. Because of the softer tip stickbait style of this rod, I find poppers work best around the ~120g.

You might find a cheap GT86 however that may sway your decision. Hope this helps.

Carl
Carlos

Bart Wrobel

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Awesome! Thanks for the reply Carl.