Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Malaysian Fishing Destinations
November 12, 2011, 06:11:29 PM
Hello Gentlemen,

My name is Johan, I'm Danish and I'm absolutely crazy about fishing!

I had planned to go fishing in Thailand on the 16'th of November, but due to the floods in Bangkok I have changed my ticket to Kuala Lumpur hoping there is some good fishing water on peninsular Malaysia. My problem is that I have never been fishing in Malaysia before, and have not had adequate time to seek out proper information, so any tips regarding fishing destinations from you guys will be hugely appreciated. I'm very interrested in any information about popping destinations, and also fresh water fishing has my interrest.

Best Regards,
Johan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Malaysian Fishing Destinations
November 12, 2011, 06:32:47 PM
we have a number of Malaysian members on this forum but boy, you're not giving much notice!
With a bit of luck, one of them might be able to give you some advice.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 12, 2011, 06:35:14 PM
All of the abandoned flooded quarries on the way into town that have
have snakehead and peacock bass in them. Might have been a secret until now!

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
Hi Johan, sorry for this late reply.
Some tips for you.

Saltwater: 
As you notice, fishing in Peninsula Malaysia can be divided into East Coast i.e South China Sea and West Coast i.e Strait Of Malacca.
Currently the North East Monsoon havent fully blown (yet).
My suggestion, you can charter a boat in the district Pekan or Rompin, Pahang state.  Target fish = popping/casting/livebait for sailfish (end season but they still there), GT (average 5 to 15kg class), spanish mackeral or jig (40-60g) for diamond trevally, golden trevally, cobia and few bottom dwellers. http://wanizhan.blogspot.com/2011/10/pekan-oct-8-9-2011.html
Note that NE monsoon can hit East Coast at any time now where 35 footer fiberglass boat can be easily tumble by 3 meter 30-40 knot wave. but for me this GT season.
For West coast, there are few charter in Penang and Perak but you need to pay more or in group of 3-6 since the trip is live-on-board-on-wooden-boat for 2-4 days. 3 major islands that fishable are Tukun Perak Island, Jarak Island and Langkawi Island. Target fish = bottom dwellers, few GTs, spaniards.

Freshwater:  Currently it is raining season here.  Few fishable dam, namely Kenyir and Temenggor are fast filling.  You can fish for snakehead and hampala (Hampala macrolepidota) http://sebarau.org/index.html.
Or you can go to Clearwater Sanctuary Resort for peacock bass http://sportfishin.asia/2011/06/21/peacock-bass-fishing-clearwater-sanctuary-malaysia/ or http://sportfishin.asia/2011/04/05/peacock-bass-fishing-60-fish-caught-and-release-in-one-day/

cheers
izhan

Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:40:12 PM by Wan Izhan

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 13, 2011, 12:12:51 AM
we have a number of Malaysian members on this forum but boy, you're not giving much notice!
With a bit of luck, one of them might be able to give you some advice.

Sorry about the short notice, but it really wasn't my decision to flood Bangkok. I swear! ;D

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 13, 2011, 12:27:01 AM
All of the abandoned flooded quarries on the way into town that have
have snakehead and peacock bass in them. Might have been a secret until now!

Thanks for the tip. I promise not to tell any one ;)

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 13, 2011, 12:42:26 AM
Dear Izhan,

Thank you very much for your thorough reply! I'm sure some of the information will come in handy.
Nice blog you have, I can't wait to get a sailfish on the end of my line! The fresh water fishing looks mighty interresting also.

All I have to do now is to survive a few more days at work ;D

Johan

Al Morrison

November 13, 2011, 02:24:19 PM
Johan,

Change your flight again and fly to Phuket, or arrive in KL and take a cheap flight up there, great freshwater fishing and some GT's and stuff too.

If that isnt possible;

Pack a very light spinning rod and some soft plastics. do a net search for Haruan and go fish in any piece of water you find ! I was just in Rompin and after sailfishing, a friend and I drove along a main road and stopped and fished drains, flooded wood areas, just about anything with water in it and were getting strikes on small plastic frogs. We ended up catching a heap in a small lake near Rompin town.

KL has some excellent Snakehead (Toman) fishing, but it isnt easy, in fact its very hard fishing indeed. I'm not sure if now is the best season for snakehead hunting, I think that is past.  Do a quick review of Francois's website in Thailand and get some tips. None of these are in KL itself, but many lakes exist within about 50 kms that have very large Toman in them. Air Kuning has peacock bass, as do many others. I cant for the life of me remember many of the lake names, and many of the lake names are informal too. I know there used to be a series of lakes out at Rawang which contained double figure Toman. I've chased them round the lakes in float tubes in quite a few occasions.

The lakes/old quarries near the airport are also excellent, but for some unknown reason security seems to throw a friend of mine off all the time !!

Lakes such as Kenyir ( A long trek from KL) are good for Sebarau, as are rivers in Taman Negara - catch them at the start of the rains I think.

Unlike Bangkok, you dont have decent guides and lots of lakes available stocked with fish for catch and release, so expect a tough time of it. I'm not resident but have fished there with a mate who is, so it might not be of much use.

Johan Skou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 15, 2011, 09:37:13 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks a lot for all the info!

I had planned to go to Bung Samran and then perhaps to Kanchanaburi for some snakehead fishing, but I will totally give Thailand a miss this time.
My plan now is to hit up a tackle shop or two in KL (I will probably start with Kepong), and then either go for some fresh water fishing with the gear I already have in my suitcase, or buy some proper popping tackle and go see if I can catch me a sailfish or GT on the east coast.

Is there any chance you can direct me towards a guy/company with a boat that does popper fishing?

It puzzles me that there are only few fishing guides in Malaysia, as it surely must be one of the most enjoyable jobs on earth!

Johan

Al Morrison

November 16, 2011, 01:49:17 AM
Johan,

its monsoon season on the east coast and I believe it is just starting to rain, the boats are mostly narrow fibreglass "speed boats", so its unlikely anyone is fishing much. There are only a few islands with any kind of structure. The majority of the coast is shallow gently shelving sand and coral rubble with structure being 2m high bumps in 14m of water. now the popper casting for sailfish can be good, but you've missed the season by about 2-3 weeks. Wan gave a good summary.

As for the guide issue, tell me where in the world there are world class sailfish grounds within an hour and the skippers wont leave the dock until 8 am and like to be home by 5 pm .... usually the minute you arrive and fish are on the bite, but its a battle to get a guy to make the exception and leave 30 mins early !! Arghgghghg it does my head in, but the fishing can be so good you have to keep going back for more.

Good luck.

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 18, 2011, 03:27:56 PM
Great sailfish off the East Coast. Everyone goes out of Kuala Rompin but it's certainly no secret.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 19, 2011, 03:51:19 AM
got local news just now, wave 3-5m in East Coast aka Rompin n Pekan....very dangerous for small boat :'( :'(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 19, 2011, 06:45:55 PM
3 to 5 metre swells?  Bloody hell. Had no idea it got that frisky at Rompin.

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 19, 2011, 08:53:58 PM
I can't imagine it like that either

Al Morrison

November 21, 2011, 11:57:24 AM
Guys, even the oil rigs in the S China Sea shut down and have to wait on weather occasionally as the supply boats cant operate. it certainly gets "frisky" alright through the monsoon. Usually in "season" you get glassy calm seas - which is what we all see pics of !