Roy Skea

Hi there, a bit of a furore has developed in SA with most premier brand braids breaking at around 50-60% of the Manufacturers stated breaking strain.

Please have a look at the thread on Sealine Forum, any contributions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=4391&forum_id=10&page=1 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
while I am familiar with some of the names, most are names which I am unfamiliar with. There have been numerous tests done around the world with braid and all I have previously come upon have found that braid breaks at higher than stated breaking strains. Some break at significantly above their stated breaking strains.

I have read tests previously where some of the brands mentioned in the thread you have attached the link for (eg Powerpro) have broken well above their stated breaking strains so I am not sure what has caused this dichotomy.

At the end of the day, I think the main point is to stick to quality. There is little doubt there will be more rigorous testing of the product and more likelihood that top line manufacturers will stand behind their product because of the reputational risk involved.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon
You hit the nail on the head pal you get what you pay for.i have been offered 3 types of the same brand of braid from a top japanese manufacturer, all differ in price and quality.i know for a fact that the braids mentioned all have quality problems .Dont spend thousands on rods and reels and skimp on one of the most vital parts of your set up ......welcome to AFRICA were caveman fishing still exists.
cheers
cape town south africa

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Mark - Howzit from a fellow Cape Tonian ( former Banana boy ) been living here in the Cape for 4 years now...

I see you are one of the very fortunate few to have tapped into the YFT on a jig out in the canyons so far... I know a few have tried, but haven't heard many success stories yet apart from yours...
I'm amped to get out there this season and put some serious effort into cracking the code on this YFT on Jigs and Poppers here in the Cape... Gear wise I'm prepped with Tuna Max S57XXH and Stella 20 K, PE 6 YGK Ultra and Stella 6 K on a SMith WGJ S56SLH for Longfin and Yellowtail.... And my Carpneter popping rod just arrived today, cause I wanna get one of those 70 kilo plus fish on the top....

Not many okes down here into the whole jigging and popping thing, so it would be great to hook up with you at some point if you got the time, or ever in need of a deckie and fellow jigger/popper... I'm based in Seapoint, gimme a shout some time.. 082 551 2255...

As to the Braid issues here... I've followed and commented on that thread a fair bit ( Nepptune is me on Sealine ) and the results these guys are getting is pretty scary... I've fished Power Pro for years and years on my light tackle outfits ( 7 ft casting and spinning set ups, 20lb and 30lb power pro ) and never had any problems with it... but I bought this line in the US when I lived in the Caribbean.... it seems we may have a serious problem with the local stock available here in South Africa...

Great site you guys have here... I been lurkin for a while, hope to be able to participate a little more from now on...

Shot
Andre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Aaron Concord

Hi Guys,
I have seen some dodgy braids and fused products a few years ago here in Australia, though the vast majority in use for GT's etc is far better than the braids a few years ago.
Bear in mind the manufacturer, their reputation, your worth on landing the fish you hook and as already advised, don't skimp money wise on the only thing connecting you to the fish!

The other problem I have seen is in the tying of Bimini's, where during the "compression" of the twists, the angler reefs downwards hard with the tag end...this can cause friction and of course, a very weak spot.
Testing mono years ago, it was interesting to watch people break their IGFA line one to 6 inches in front of the Bimini....every time.
The knot was fine...the creation of the knot can cause problems.
Now, if it's breaking within the first hundred working metres of braid, my theory is the enormous pressure applied with a spin reel and where the line comes off the spool during a screaming run can "burn" the line in places too...hence the reason for heavy drag I use 130lb Varivas....it may end up breaking at 80.
Though if I started with 80, I'd probably be down to 50.....seen enough people pop heavy braid under weak arse conditons to tell me there is more to do with unseen line punishment on "used" line than perhaps what you could see on mono...
If it's breaking at intervals all over the place and is new...it's faulty....simple.

Just my 2 cents worth..

aaron.