Santosh Shanmuga

Re: GT Strength - Cold water vs Warm water
March 18, 2008, 09:34:50 AM
Ahhhh....Islamorada! ;D ;D ;D

Mark Lewis

July 02, 2008, 05:38:13 AM
Hi Andre,

While not GT-specific, every fish species that I've caught in multiple water temperatures has fought better in the colder water.  I've long thought it was simply because cold water retains more oxygen than warm water.   A 5# bonefish in warm Caribbean water is fairly boring.  A 5# bonefish in cooler water, like in Bermuda, will pull a healthy amount of line off the spool.  Similarly, tuna that I've caught in warm vs. cooler water pull MUCH harder in the cooler water, irrespective of current.

I've only caught GT in Seychelles so can't really compare them to anywhere else  :-[    However, I've caught other species of trevally and jacks in lots of places and the hardest pulling of the bunch were crevalles in 58* (F) water - those pulled unbelievably strong.

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 03, 2008, 04:15:21 AM
Living here on Oahu, Hawaii I can't comment on the cold/warm water theory. But, I can add some fuel to the current/surge theory mentioned.  Here in Hawaii it is a recognized fact that the bluefin trevally that thrive in the reef/surge areas are very much stronger than GT of equal sizes.  Granted, the bluefin trevally only grow to 25lb max but............pound for pound, they will kick the GT's butt in it's quest for freedom.