Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blue Water Mag
July 22, 2008, 12:09:43 PM
Gday Aaron, i think that is the way people interpreted it from what was written in the mag - it's just not the way a lot of people on here do it.  I personally think, no offence intended at all, the twists in the leader in the article didn't look tight enough - and I don't know if enough twisting could be put into the leader with a person holding one end to make it much tighter. 

I find it easier to attach one end to a fixed object (door handle etc) and twist from the other end (with a spinning reel) - then folding it in half after the twist has been put into the length of line.

Aaron Concord

July 22, 2008, 09:55:45 PM
Travis,

I started doing these in 2001 after multiple rod guide & tip guide damage from other leader knot systems and it's the way that has evolved for me, to use a hook in a drill to pull against and maintain pressure on the twists.
The twists are tight as...the size of the image and the size of what can be written in a short piece can, at times, make it hard to sink my teeth into the rigging as 'perfectly' as one would like.
Use a nail or hook in a vise...use a hook that keeps your screen door open if doing it by yourself if you need a solid object to pull against to make the twists compress. It is far harder on the hands and makes less leaders.
I'm talking about a style that can make 50 leaders in an hour between 2 guys...and they're all tight and evenly wrapped. I won't use it otherwise.

As long as the 'final product' is a twisted leader with equal, compressed twists. I've seen numerous attempts to make it easier or do it differently for the same outcome....whatever works eh??

Cheers

Aaron.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 23, 2008, 08:16:26 AM
......whatever works eh??
Aint that the truth  :)

I certainly never need to make 50 leaders in an hour - i think that many would last me just about a lifetime  :o :D    I think I need to try your method to see how it works - i'll tie one up today for comparison i think. Cheers,
Travis 

Aaron Concord

July 31, 2008, 08:47:55 PM
Travis,

When I get some guys who need stuff rigged ASAP for a trip, invariably there is a push to get a heap done  ;D ;D ;D

I have to make some more for 'my collection' since they've been ransacked again!

Better charge up the drill.....

Aaron.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 06, 2008, 10:47:10 AM
Aaron, I have been trying your method for the twisted leader with no luck as yet :-[ 
A few questions,
Is it a must to have one guy holding the two ends/legs of the leader?
I tried just tying the two ends apart slightly on a rail then twisting with a drill, when i was twisted enough all it wanted to do was untwist again.
Does the person holding the two ends allow them to rotate in his hand?

Cheers