Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video editing recommendations.
May 05, 2015, 04:48:37 PM
Calling all tech heads.

I'm looking to put together some footage from recent trips which include gopro footage and camera stills.

I'm not the most technically gifted and was hoping someone could recommend easy to use editing apps or editing tools.

Also any other editing tips would be greatly appreciated as I have some great footage and stills that I would like to do justice too by piecing them together.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
Re: Video editing recommendations.
May 05, 2015, 05:03:36 PM
In order of ease of use I would have to say GoPro Studio>iMovie>Premire Pro CC

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2015, 06:36:29 PM
Thanks Amr.

I think I just need to choose one and get stuck into it.

Cheers.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 07, 2015, 06:19:14 PM
The biggest factor for video is the Machine you are running the Software on, there's no point running top of the line software without the hardware to back it up as I have found to my dismay. the Go-Pro and Garmin Virb software is easy to use and will run on most home machines, Mac has good stuff pre loaded.

Download a free program called any video converter as well its very handy

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
May 07, 2015, 07:07:12 PM
The biggest factor for video is the Machine you are running the Software on, there's no point running top of the line software without the hardware to back it up as I have found to my dismay. the Go-Pro and Garmin Virb software is easy to use and will run on most home machines, Mac has good stuff pre loaded.

Download a free program called any video converter as well its very handy

Great advice right there...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 07, 2015, 08:57:13 PM
Thanks Cameron.

Will check out that program. Our home computer is pretty old actually so I may end up doing my edits on a mates machine.

Cheers.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 08, 2015, 12:08:19 AM
I have done plenty of poor editing myself:)  I use Windows Live Movie maker because I am a PC not a MAC. I have tested the GoPro software a bit and it was too much for me but offers much better features. Maybe because I was to used to the other program by then.

My biggest recommendation, regardless of editing software is to shoot in short 3-4 minute clips. You have to download the entire file to sort out the few good moments of action and you're going to have to cut and clip anyway. I will review the files and name them according to what they are and when the action is. Like "AJ bite 2:20". Then when I actually get time to edit, I can just go right to the spot and cut it out.

Plenty of files get thrown out because there is nothing cool on them or you have 5 minutes of video of your feet because the camera wasn't positioned right....

Mayur Panday

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 08, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
I use a software called PowerDirector. It ain't free, you can download it online for around 60 USD I guess. Extremely user friendly. In half a day I went from zero to making my own videos, editing-mixing, adding music and uploading online! Just did a little research online (youtube). Have a look.

Cheers

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 08, 2015, 05:05:27 PM
Thanks for the feed back.

Looks like I will have to get my head into it a bit.

Definitely agree with the shorter clips. Sometimes hard in the excitement to remember to turn off cams etc esp when a good fish comes on board.

Cheers.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
May 09, 2015, 07:23:39 PM
I'm only just getting into the whole video thing and I think shorter clips are the way to go I find watching someone huff and puff with a fish for 10 minutes incredibly boring.  When collecting footage I try to get something that sets the initial scene like rigging rods departing the marina ect. For the fishing action an actual hit is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned, then screaming reels short amount of fight work, a picture of the fish and the release and celebration.

I like to choose a song first which helps set the tone for the video and work from there.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 09, 2015, 08:43:00 PM
Cam,

I'm thinking of taking out the copyright on 'You Win Again' for the soundtrack to my fishing video highlights.

Trev   

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 09, 2015, 08:53:50 PM
Or SNAP! "The Power" ;0)

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 16, 2015, 03:15:15 PM
Hi,

I'm a mac user and just use iMovie. I originally thought this would just be a stepping stone but I'm impressed what it can do - split screens, super slow motion, time lapse etc.
I don't think I'll make the jump to Final Cut Pro which I thought I'd be at by now.

I very much agree with short video taking. I take 7-15 secs grabs. Return to score the file gold, silver, bronze then use the gold first then silver etc.

my latest vid:

Derek