Narc

Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
March 26, 2007, 12:29:43 PM
Hi fellas,

I'm better known as Ah Gu and lives in Singapore. I'm a complete noob, rookie, beginner whatever you can call it when it comes to popping or jigging. Been labelled a weak angler by some whom I have fished with, but that won't deter me or make me quit just yet nor deter me from being the tackle whore that I am.
(PS. I'm not commercially inclined in the fishing scene  ;))

So hoping to learn and pick up more tips from the authorities here.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
March 26, 2007, 04:25:50 PM
Hi fellas,

I'm better known as Ah Gu and lives in Singapore. I'm a complete noob, rookie, beginner whatever you can call it when it comes to popping or jigging. Been labelled a weak angler by some whom I have fished with, but that won't deter me or make me quit just yet nor deter me from being the tackle whore that I am.

A.G. ,

You are being too modest ! I think you can share some of your knowledge to others here .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2007, 09:58:58 PM
Hi guys,
Im Hon-Su, from Perth, WA......I love all kinds of lure fishing and not long ago took up jigging becoz of the insane amount of Sambos and size of them off Rottnest Island. Ive also taken up GT popping becoz my 3 saltigas (add 2 stellas) need another purpose..... Grin

Unfortunately for me GTs are about 1400km from me and can only be a annual trip. Still doesnt stop me buying gear that requires its only insurance policy..... Shocked
Doesnt help when one works in a tackle store as well....

My first (landed) GT
Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:02:41 PM by hon-su

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 11:42:57 AM
Please introduce yourself for the benefit of the other forum members.

This will help us to build the forum for where Australian poppers & jiggers go for their information and to share their experiences. International fisherman also welcome ;D

You may also want to include some pictures of your best/favourite catches (and release ;))

Hi, I am Sachin and I live in Fiji.
I do a lot of popper fishing with a couple of friends (we will throw a popper at any fish if we think it will take it)and if that is quiet we will troll for offshore species such as yellowfin tuna and wahoo when they are in season.
PB GT has been 27kg (been busted off by a few bigger than that but some days the fish win)
Wahoo over 40kg (trolling)
Hope to post some pics soon
Good to be on the forum and exchanging knowledge.

Mick Nash

March 31, 2007, 04:41:31 PM
My name is Mick Nash, Ive not had any experiance on GT,s But I loves me Kings. Im into Saltwater Flyfishing , Trolling for Tuna, Lobbing lures at bombies, And jiging the local reefs of Sydney.
In May07 I will be a resident Of the gold coast QLD,, Ye-ha.
Luke Hope to catch up for a fish soon, But probably when you next visit SEQ.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 07:10:36 PM
Reintroducing myself. Was GPB, now Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Popter

April 01, 2007, 04:08:00 AM
Hi All,

Andrew (Popter) here from Singapore...I'm been interested in Gtpopping since 2 years ago when I first landed a 12kg GT in Biak (Papua) using a medium tackle But I had lost many more GT and popper due to the outfit I'm using then... I'm leaving for Biak tomorrow for 1 week of popping and jigging again, hopefully the new set of Stella and carpenter will help me out this time round... ;D 8) :P

The only consent will be the weather as it seen that T-storm though out the trip may spoil the fun...

Lastly I was just reading Luke article on GT popping on Fishing World mag two week ago and now I'm member on his forum...  ::) ::)   Keep up the good work Luke!

Popter

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2007, 08:13:49 AM
Ah Gu - you may not be comercially inclined but you have more high quality popping and jigging tackle than all the tackle shops in Sydney put together!!

Hi fellas,

If it swims; I want to catch it!

splash

April 01, 2007, 12:39:46 PM
hi nickname is splash real nickname is pilchy and real name is bj pilch
never caught a decsent GT had all intentions just after my first jigging session of nearly getting my arms ripped from there sockets i thought this is for me and have been hacking away at it ever since then i love it i get out a few times a month with a charter trip every three months im always happy to have company on these trips as a lot of the time i have to sole charter hits the pocket my goaled is to tackle the triple cown 30kg plus kingies,AJ,sambos i am a custom rod maker which makes it all a little cheaper for me to have a quiver of rods up to the task

MikeOsborn

April 11, 2007, 01:31:29 PM
Hey all I am Mike from Auckland NZ. Fish mostly for kingfish on jigs, poppers,stickbaits and livies.

Have been lucky enough to do several surf trips  to Indonesia and the pacific islands where I have managed to score a few GTs and doggies.

Keen to learn and get a few ideas from you guys and hope to get on a trip at some stage.

Narc

April 11, 2007, 02:01:36 PM
Hi All,

Andrew (Popter) here from Singapore...I'm been interested in Gtpopping since 2 years ago when I first landed a 12kg GT in Biak (Papua) using a medium tackle But I had lost many more GT and popper due to the outfit I'm using then... I'm leaving for Biak tomorrow for 1 week of popping and jigging again, hopefully the new set of Stella and carpenter will help me out this time round... ;D 8) :P

The only consent will be the weather as it seen that T-storm though out the trip may spoil the fun...

Lastly I was just reading Luke article on GT popping on Fishing World mag two week ago and now I'm member on his forum...  ::) ::)   Keep up the good work Luke!

Popter

Hi Andrew,

So you had Eduard on the same trip as you to Biak!
Heard there were some decent catches and a few unstoppable bust-offs!
So what was the biggest for the trip? Care to share?

Ah Gu

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 16, 2007, 08:31:09 PM
Hello All....

My name is Peter and I am a  Poppaholic

;D ;

Hal Harvey

April 20, 2007, 12:10:22 AM
Hi, Hal Harvey from Perth, Western Australia. I'm at the helm of the Bluewater Tackle World stores and website, and have plenty of vested interests! But popperchucking and jigging in general, and GTs in particular, are my favourite things. I began fishing for GTs with lures in the late '70s, and have destroyed a lot of reels in the last 30 years! I'm fortunate to work with many fellow GT enthusiasts, so the kind of conversations held in this forum are what I live with every day... kind of scary really...

Che Carson

April 26, 2007, 06:33:32 PM
Hi all,

Che here. I work along side Hal at Bluewater, GT fishing is my thing. If its not caught on a cast and retreived popper/stickbait it doesn't count....period! I have been popper fishing for the last 8 years and am keen to learn and develop this style of fishing further. I am still searching for the Holy Grail a legitamate GT of over 100lb.

Cheers,
Che

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 06:42:15 AM
Hi All. I'm Earl Hamilton, aka Dugong ! I get the nick name as apparently I look somewhat like a dugong in the water. I'm a Brit living in the Philippines, and like some others here I too am connected to the tackle trade as I own DNA fly tying materials and saltwaterflies.
I love saltwater fly fishing. Jigging and popping also get the addrenalin pumping for me.
Opportunities for popping and jigging here are just about uknown as its new to these parts, though there are a dedicated band of followers who are discovering new places all the time. The prognosis is promising and there are 7000 islands to explore.
Saltwater fly has a long way to go here as mostly the only fish left are those that are out of reach of divers and dynamite.
I have some experience, but so much more to learn, and look forward to sharing and learning with you all.
All the best.
Earl Hamilton.
Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:46:19 AM by earl hamilton