Stephen Wan

Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
August 28, 2007, 01:52:47 PM
Hello all

My fishing experience is limited to fishing for bream, flathead.... and largest fish landed was a 8kg+ barramundi. Used to fly fish for trout while living in NZ.

I'm now living in Sydney and with a 2 year old son, my opportunities to fish are really limited these days.

Anyway, friends of mine have been talking about their fishing trips to the Maldives, jigging for GT, Dogtooth..... I watched the video. Saw the photos. And finally, they invited me to join them later this year!!! So here I am...trying to get as much info as possible.

I have booked my flight to the Maldives but have yet to tell the wife! And then...there's the rod and reel.
:-)

Glad I found this site. Please bear with me when I ask all these newbie questions later.

Tight lines
Stephen

Mat Selwyn

September 14, 2007, 08:29:12 PM
Great site guys.
Go the trevs!

robert bado

September 17, 2007, 04:41:03 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Robert Bado aka "bado1" on other sites. I go by my middle name of Dean. I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I've fished mainly off of Mexico, Hawaii, California, Florida. Also do lots of fresh water fishing. New to deep water jigging and have yet to do any popping for GTs. Lots of popping for stripers. I do a fair bit of hunting as well. Luke-Great site!!! Keep up the good work. Thanks to everyone in advance for all the great info.

Dean

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 17, 2007, 10:40:53 PM
Welcome Mat & Robert - great to have you on board! 8)

Julian Fox

September 18, 2007, 01:08:06 AM
Hi Guys - I'm from the UK and pop in every now and then.  First met the GTs a couple of years back and get to Aus once a year or so to sample the delights - usually in the NW Cape.

Here's a recent catch from March- take care.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 18, 2007, 05:31:04 AM
welcom aboard Julian - if you're coming down under once a year just to fish for our beloved trevs, you're a true believer and will fit in well here!  :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Julian Fox

September 18, 2007, 11:19:15 PM
Brandon - GTs get into your soul

Phil Pluis

September 20, 2007, 09:13:57 AM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Phil, Reel Obsession on some other sites. I am new to popping but have done a small amount of jigging around Cape Moreton and have gotten an addicted to the rush of battling with some of the brutal fish that live in our waters. Have checked out the Nomad site and am looking to do one of their charters in the near future, so I am looking to learn as much as possible from this site, which provides some great accurate info.
Great site Luke.

Cheers Phil

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 12:51:33 PM
Welcome aboard, Phil

Nomad charters can be terrific as you will no doubt read based on some of the reports on this site. Different locations are better for different types of fishing. Let us know if you need some help in deciding!

Hi Everyone,
My name is Phil, Reel Obsession on some other sites. I am new to popping but have done a small amount of jigging around Cape Moreton and have gotten an addicted to the rush of battling with some of the brutal fish that live in our waters. Have checked out the Nomad site and am looking to do one of their charters in the near future, so I am looking to learn as much as possible from this site, which provides some great accurate info.
Great site Luke.

Cheers Phil

Stephen Wan

September 20, 2007, 01:30:38 PM
Hello Brandon

Which Nomad charter/s would you recommend to someone who gets sea sick?  :)

I get pretty sea sick but somehow all that miraculously disappears when I'm fighting fish. 

To have a go at those monster GTs, large coral trout.... I'm prepared to suffer a little, maybe even a lot after watching the videos on the Nomad website!

Just trying to minimise the suffering.

It's unlikely I'd be able to go on a Nomad trip any time soon but it's great to have something like that to look forwards to.

Hope to catch up with you guys next weekend.

Regards
Stephen

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 02:10:57 PM
This one is actually pretty easy, Stephen.

Bugatti Reef is what you want. It's primarily a GT location and the Odyssey is anchored in very calm lagoons. Even when fishing, the area should be relatively calm as they can always find a spot behind the reef. When travelling in the dories, you will go through some bumpy areas if it is windy or rough but the wind will be in your face and it shouldn't be for too long.

The one to avoid for you is Shoalwater - even at anchor, the Odyssey was moving. There is also a strong likelihood the Odyssey will move around between islands and the seas in this area can be, well, quite big!

Hello Brandon

Which Nomad charter/s would you recommend to someone who gets sea sick?  :)

I get pretty sea sick but somehow all that miraculously disappears when I'm fighting fish. 

To have a go at those monster GTs, large coral trout.... I'm prepared to suffer a little, maybe even a lot after watching the videos on the Nomad website!

Just trying to minimise the suffering.

It's unlikely I'd be able to go on a Nomad trip any time soon but it's great to have something like that to look forwards to.

Hope to catch up with you guys next weekend.

Regards
Stephen

Stephen Wan

September 20, 2007, 09:01:55 PM
Thanks Brandon!

Aerospace

September 23, 2007, 04:32:16 PM
Hey Everyone

My name is Simon Little, Im a South African Living in Hong Kong. I used to be into fly-fishing, both fresh and salt water, but have recently found myself doing more light tackle stuff in the salt. I havnt done all that much fishing since moving to Hong Kong 3 years ago, but am wanting to get into it big time again. I am completly obsessed with trevally, any species, and am looking for some good places in asia and possibly Australia to get into some good fish and possibly even buy a boat where i decide to spend most my time. I am looking to kick off my comeback in Bali next week, so any info will be appreciated!!

Tight lines....

Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 23, 2007, 06:53:06 PM
welcome aboard, Simon. Let us know what specific info you are looking for and we'll see what we can do.

Aerospace

September 23, 2007, 07:03:44 PM
Hey Brandon, thanks!

Any info with regards to areas of Bali to target would be great, ie. beach or town names or even north, south coast etc.

Thanks

Simon