Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
tying knots with different types of braid
June 15, 2007, 08:04:36 AM
I thought I'd post this and see if others have had the same experience. The most common braids I have used are the TF XP and then the Varivas GT. I have found knots with these very easy to tie.

I, however, decided there was no harm in trying some others so I got some Fins braid in the 130lb. Now as some of you may be aware, Fins claim that their braid is far more abrasion resistant and that knots have far less slippage.

Well, that may well be the case but that lack of slippage sure makes it bloody hard to tie bimimi doubles. I've been playing around with it and I have found that it is really hard spreading the loop to make the braid come back upon itself when you tie the double. Because I like a very short loop section, I tie it using a finger bimimi (thanks Duncan). I find that a fifty turn bimimi is okay but a 70 turn bimimi is tough.

It can be done but it doesn't roll anywhere near as smoothly as the TF XP or Varivas. I don't know whether it is because the line isn't as round or what it is but I can well believe their claim of less slippage. In a lot of ways, I find it is a bit like the old spiderwire which was one of the first braids on our local market. That was a mongrel of a thing to tie knots with.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I think Greg [bun] still has some original spiderwire.
Do you use a glove when tying your bimimi Brandon?
Not sure if this is suitable for finger bimimi's.
Sometimes i even put a wetsuit bootee on to stop the braid cutting into my foot.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
no, not at all. The bimimi needs to only be tight enough with the turns not to slip but if you get it too tight, you may create a weak point. I certainly couldn't tie a finger bimimi with a glove on. It takes very educated fingers!  ;D

I think Greg [bun] still has some original spiderwire.
Do you use a glove when tying your bimimi Brandon?
Not sure if this is suitable for finger bimimi's.
Sometimes i even put a wetsuit bootee on to stop the braid cutting into my foot.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
no, not at all. The bimimi needs to only be tight enough with the turns not to slip but if you get it too tight, you may create a weak point. I certainly couldn't tie a finger bimimi with a glove on. It takes very educated fingers!  ;D

And fingers that are a bit hardy! a few of those tend to take their toll!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
yes, i find that especially at the joint of the fingers. Boy, those braid cuts can hurt!! It's not so bad with heavy line but the lighter lines can really do some damage

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Just to widen the view-I am currently using Suffix Performance braid...Its the only braid we can get in the local shops, and was introduced because of the local Jap fratternity requesting it for their jigging. I have used Tuff in the past so I can make a comparison against that. I found the Tuff pretty easy to do a bimini. I generally do a 77 turn-no reason for the extra 7, just that I like 7's and finnish with an 8 turn Rizzuto. This was fairly easy to accomplish with the Tuff, but the Suffix is more effort, and tougher on the hands-but do-able. It does hold well, I have never had any slippage in tests, which I have had with  the Tuff. The Suffix will slip with a 50 turn though.
I have to admit that I am using the Suffix because of its availability here and I really don't know that much about it-any of you got any opinions or experience with it. I dont see much about it on the web.
Earl.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
the one thing I have to say about the FINs is that the Rizutto feels like it holds really well with it.