Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CTS Popping Blanks
June 20, 2007, 07:32:09 AM
the most promising spot for GTs in that area isn't Hat Island but an area within about fifteen minutes fondly called "GT Alley" by the locals. It's a shallow reef area full of bommies.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

lonhro

June 20, 2007, 10:01:11 AM
Hmmm  Sound's like the kinda place i' d like to be at when the fish are a about are hungry.

I am conviced i am going to have to go to a GT farm before i might get my first Kill and release.  :P

The good thing about land based is that it don't cost you anything for sometimes the same results as a bad day on the water and soemtimes better. ( and no sea sickness).

Ben Keller

June 20, 2007, 10:06:14 AM
If you were looking at doing a cheapskate fishing mission to Vanuatu the best bet would be to jump on an island trader (boat) and crank over to Epi, or right up to Santo.

I spent about 12 solid hours all up spread over a few days popping up in Santo off the rocks and I had a mean time. Got 1 fish about 10kg, and a 5kg red bass but missed a 20 odd kg big orange groper thing that missed my popper the idiot  ::) and hooked and lost about 5 GT's to 15kg and flat out missed a bunch more.

Wicked fun  8)

Ben

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 20, 2007, 10:09:12 AM
Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:14:16 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ben Keller

June 20, 2007, 10:14:40 AM
Yeah,
That makes more sense. Although I found in my limited experience, I could grunt out a further cast with my 'front hand' (right) with the reel stem in between my middle fingers a. Is this a habit I should get out of, or is it more of a case of personal preference,

Luke can you shed any light on this?

Cheers guys
Ben

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 20, 2007, 11:30:28 AM
The method set out by Luke is how all the experienced GT fishos tend to cast. The reason for this is that it maximises leverage, power and thus distance. I have not come upon a better way to cast and I personally doubt that one exists.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Keller

June 20, 2007, 03:01:43 PM
Yup, sounds like a change is in order for me.

I think the problem was the twisty uncoiling off the spool if my front hand held the foregrip. Ill try a short twisty so that the twisty is just off the spool as I cast, thatll probably add to the distance of the cast as well.

Cheers
Ben

Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 20, 2007, 03:09:43 PM
Maybe you can check out the new Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Popping Rod? They cost less than US$350 from my side of the earth and comes with quite decent components. But i'm not sure where you can get them from any online stores thou. I've got a Pencil Instrument (S8406 Pencil Instrument PE 4-6 150g max) and am quite happy with it for the price  ;)

This 2 models may be what you're lookin for:
S8012 Deep Monster PE 8-12 300g max
S7812 Surface Monster PE 8-12 300g max

Ben Keller

June 20, 2007, 03:11:47 PM
Hmmm, thanks Collin, I might have a look into it, man a 300g popper would destory your shoulders after a couple of days!

Ben