Lung Weng

Terminal knot to a stickbait
February 15, 2013, 01:25:09 AM
Hi Guys! Just a thought that popped up. Instead of using a split ring to attach my stickbaits, am thinking of tying a knot directly to it. What knot would u recommend I should use? By the way I will be using a single strand mono line. Some thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Terminal knot to a stickbait
February 15, 2013, 02:11:23 AM
I just use a three turn uni-knot
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Lung Weng

February 15, 2013, 02:51:03 AM
Tks Brandon! I am currently using the centauri knot for luring applications and so far its perfect but have yet to hit any monster GTs on this knot yet. Wondering if it will stand up to the mighty GT.

James Wang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 02:55:27 AM
Will u guys consider using snap for stickbait?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 03:40:35 AM
I can't see any reason why not. It is just that the split ring works well so no reason to change. The Bouz split ring is almost a quasi-snap
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 08:10:16 AM
Hi Guy's,

While we are on this subject with knots and the three turn uni knot would be suffice.

Is there certain type of floating or sinking model stickbaits that would work better with tying directly too it ?.

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 11:25:37 AM
Hi Guy's,

While we are on this subject with knots and the three turn uni knot would be suffice.

Is there certain type of floating or sinking model stickbaits that would work better with tying directly too it ?.

From my novice experience,
All manner of stickbaits float or sink will have better "connectivity" and therefore "feel", making it easier to work the bait.
With larger stickbaits, the benefits of tying directly is diminished somewhat as the size of the bait itself would overcome any interference that a split ring may cause.

I too use a 3-4 turn uni (depending on the diameter of leader used).
For stickbaits with smaller gauge wire, I cut a small 6-7mm chafe tubing and slit it lengthwise an place it around the wire before tying direct. Not so much for chafe protection, but to increase the diameter of the leader line loop which would improve the KBS of the loop.

I have even started tying direct with poppers.

Cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 15, 2013, 12:05:59 PM
Like Ben, there is no doubt in my mind that a single strand leader tied straight to the lure gives you a better "feeling" for what you are doing. I am such an incorrigible lure changer though that I do not do this that often and mostly I stick with the 4 turn uni to swivel to split ring set up.

As Ben says, if you do tie direct to the lure, it is quite important to protect your leader from the potential of being cut by the stainless steel wire on the towing point. I tend to use thimbles like the one pictured below for this but short length of aquarium pipe also does the trick.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 15, 2013, 07:41:36 PM
3 turn uni is king on nearly everything.

If it's very heavy leader like varivas 200lb , I will just do 2 loops through lure eye and then 3 turn uni.

Where was the 3 turn uni when I was a kid doing 7 twist blood knots........I spose it didn't matter so much for whiting.