Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
clear coat on poppers
February 15, 2010, 07:12:55 PM
alot of my wood popper are very scared up and tend to take on water and dont work as well, i am going to wack a clear coat of paint over them to hopefully seal them back up. has anyone had much luck with this? what sort of clear coat should i be using that will last a while.
PoPpInG mAd

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: clear coat on poppers
February 15, 2010, 08:42:16 PM
Hi Tom ,

Use automobile refinish coating for best results , first you must sand the existing clear coat to enhance adhesion and then clean the sanded surface using solvent , once dried then you can start recoating the poppers with clear coating that will cure at ambient temperature , several coats may be needed to get the necessary dry film thickness and let the surface become " touch dry " before each recoating process .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 16, 2010, 08:44:32 AM
Jon has covered it pretty well, especially the sanding to get mechanical bond between old and new finishes. When you spray second, third coat within 24 hours you will not need to sand as you will then be getting a chemical bond.
If you don't have access to spray gear and a compressor you could use a Rod building resin such as Flexcoat or similar, you can buy these in smaller quantities than auto clear. Prepare the lure in the same way then mix and brush on, put it on fairly thin and then rotate for a while. Should be able to get away with a single coat ;)

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2010, 06:21:13 PM
thanks guys, ill be heading out buying some gear this weekend, will post some photos of the finish product when i get around to doing it.
PoPpInG mAd