Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Stickbaits
February 07, 2011, 04:25:22 PM
First let me thank you for your patience, I have had many enquiries over the last couple of years, but as with the poppers, I refused to release any lure until both myself and my tester, Brandon are satisfied it meets the Full Scale standard. Over the last 2 years we have been testing a heap of prototypes, a couple of you have a stickbait I made a while back which I never officially released. I decided to discontinue that specific model and go back to the drawing board as it just wasn't quite what I was after.

I am now pleased to announce the release of the first Full Scale stickbait called "Sidewinder". This lure is a surface stickbait, 280mm long and weighs 210g, equipped with the Full Scale wire system and 540kg swivel. It is a big stickbait designed specifically for big GT's. It has a wide, wild slashing action and needs a controlled hand to keep it in the water, but if you have the ability to work surface stickbaits well you will appreciate what this lure can do. Surface stickbaits require a bit of skill and rodwork to get the best out of them, if not they will just flap around on the surface like a broken pencil popper instead of that great darting slashing action.

"Sidewinders" will only be available direct from me, they are not on the website yet. If you're interested, please get in touch with me at www.fullscalelures.com.au or email me at [email protected]

Another model (or two) will be ready soon too ;)
Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:14:35 PM by Chris Young

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stickbaits
February 08, 2011, 11:01:17 AM
28cm and 210 grams....that's massive Crusty  :o You don't stuff around with little lures then  ;)

Sounds like you'd almost need a heavy popping rod (rather than a stickbait rod) to work this beast?!

Are there any thoughts of eventually releasing a smaller version of this 'Sidewinder'?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 11:21:19 AM
The Ripple Ultimo UG79H is perfect for stickbaits of this weight. In terms of smaller versions, Crusty will have to respond to that
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 11:55:03 AM
That is indeed a whopper :)

More news of smaller versions and hopefully a sinking version eagerly awaited.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 12:02:03 PM

Are there any thoughts of eventually releasing a smaller version of this 'Sidewinder'?

One size at a time mate  ;D I would rather do one size/shape really well than a heap of mediocre ones, we are still testing the smaller sizes of this shape, very close but not quite there yet  ;)

Mark, no sinking lures at the moment

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 12:24:03 PM
Yeah sorry Chris, I do sometimes get a bit ahead of the game. :D Certainly better to produce one really good lure than a number of lesser ones, but given your past track record, I'm sure that whatever lures you release, they'll be top shelf performers. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Brandon, how do you reckon a Carpenter 78H would go working this stickbait? I suspect it's probably not going to be ideal, given it's popping rod, but it's either that or a GT special.
Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:25:57 PM by Angus Hulme

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 09, 2011, 06:16:42 PM
Angus, the 78H will do the job. What a softer tip does is that it just facilitates that little bit more action to the stickbait but the stiffer rod will do the job, no question about it. If you know how to sue a stickbait properly, you would be able to catch fish on stickbaits using a UHL.

Just adding to what Crusty wrote, we both resolved when we first started that we would not release a medicore offering - ever. Sticking to this ethos nearly drove both of us mad and I can't remember how long the original Kong took us but it was a bloody long time. The stickbaits have taken even longer, I think if you go back to where we started. It has taken a long time to get to the green light.

On the Sidewinder, I'd rather you guys use it and tell us what you think but what I can say is that if you know how to use a surface stickbait properly, I will be shocked if you're not satisfied.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 09, 2011, 07:37:41 PM
Any pictures?  ;D

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 09, 2011, 11:57:09 PM

Isaac Denny

February 10, 2011, 08:00:19 AM
... *snip* ...On the Sidewinder, I'd rather you guys use it and tell us what you think but what I can say is that if you know how to use a surface stickbait properly, I will be shocked if you're not satisfied.

Is there any chance we could see a video of one working - showing the intended action of the lure and also the action of the rod?

This would be great! The reason I ask is - I have a few of Chris' lures already - and would like very much to run a few of these stickbaits - but for someone who has little experience working stickbaits combined with your comments above, indicate it may not be for me...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2011, 08:17:58 AM
A video is a good idea and is in our plans when we have the time - and access to the equipment.  Neither Crusty or myself have a video camera that has a zoom function. I We both have the same camera and it does have a video function but it doesn't zoom which is useless when the lure is a long way away.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 10, 2011, 08:22:55 AM
No great pics yet guys unless Brandon has some, only ones I have are of prototypes with smaller models. I just had my computer rebuilt and some of the programs are not responding (I need to crop out the small models) I will get some up as soon as possible.

I should also add I have a new batch of reflective tapes coming that should give them a whole different look ;)

Isaac, Sidewinders are not really that difficult to work, you may find it easier because you have no preconceived ideas from other offerings. 

Isaac Denny

February 10, 2011, 08:41:44 AM
A video is a good idea and is in our plans when we have the time - and access to the equipment.  Neither Crusty or myself have a video camera that has a zoom function. I We both have the same camera and it does have a video function but it doesn't zoom which is useless when the lure is a long way away.

...*snip*...Isaac, Sidewinders are not really that difficult to work, you may find it easier because you have no preconceived ideas from other offerings.

Thanks guys.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2011, 05:46:00 PM
Here is a photo of the Sidewinder but please remember this is a prototype

Chris Leong

• Fusilier