Nathan

Which Rod?
July 03, 2007, 08:02:07 PM
 I was wondering if you guy's could help me figure out what rod i should get for throwing poppers and the like at GTs Kings etc. I've looked at some of the rod manufacturing sites but i'm overwhelmed with the amount of rods available!
 I will be mostly fishing with PE8 Braid on my Expedition.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks Nathan

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which Rod?
July 03, 2007, 08:09:28 PM
Hi Nathan,

What's your budget?

You have a more than capable reel so you will want to match it to something nice too.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2007, 08:10:51 PM
Nathan,

Prices range from $500 upwards to well over a grand...and depends on how big the a fish you are targeting as to the right model.

I have my dogfighter on a precision rod at the moment for poppering at kings on the south coast and sydney and it does the job.Its 37kg rated  but Im only using 50lb braid at the moment. Waiting to see if my bro in law goes o/s again to check out a komodo for me or a shimano rod, and then theres Neils rods coming soon too....

Some of the other guys here have a lot more experience with the Japanese popper rods and calstars so Im sure they will add in more feedback.

Nathan

July 03, 2007, 08:20:32 PM
 I'm thinking strongly about the Calstar Luke referred me to as i currently have a GF410 i built up for jigging of which i'm more than happy with. I think the main reason that i want one of the Japanese blanks is more for the fact of  having something that no one else has.
 Has any one done any reserch on the URS80XXH  blank i was told about this rod from a master rod builder and champion caster and he rates them highly.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2007, 07:41:34 PM
I'm thinking strongly about the Calstar Luke referred me to as i currently have a GF410 i built up for jigging of which i'm more than happy with. I think the main reason that i want one of the Japanese blanks is more for the fact of  having something that no one else has.
 Has any one done any reserch on the URS80XXH  blank i was told about this rod from a master rod builder and champion caster and he rates them highly.

Hi Nathan,

Have you made a decision yet?

I'm not familiar with the URS80XXH but looking at the specs now, it looks ok. You may want to see if you can play with the blank before you decide to buy. Just a note, it's a fast actioned blank - most popping rods are a slow action. Nothing wrong with that if it suits your fishing, afterall some of my favourite popping rods are also fast.

Nathan

July 09, 2007, 09:35:32 PM
 Looks as though i will get either the Tokara 60 or the Komodo Dragon if i can get it for the right price.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2007, 08:06:37 AM
Good choice Nathan..!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2007, 08:38:03 PM
Nathan, what is your definition of a good price? These are top drawer at even at a good price, they are no gimmes!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Lian

July 11, 2007, 03:20:04 AM
Hi Nathan,
If you are going to spend the money on a quality rod get a SEED GTP-83 or the GTP-83H custom build. You will not regret the purchase!!!

Chris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 11, 2007, 12:14:56 PM
Looks as though i will get either the Tokara 60 or the Komodo Dragon if i can get it for the right price.

Better make sure you find some GTs. The Aussie Kings won't know what hit them!

Both are great rods - i don't think you can go wrong with either.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 11, 2007, 01:04:50 PM
Luke, do you put your Calstar 700XH in the the same 'fighting' capability as the Tokara 60 or the Komodo Dragon and how does the WRC-73 KERAMA rate, I'm talking pulling power and action, not casting.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 11, 2007, 01:11:59 PM
Luke, do you put your Calstar 700XH in the the same 'fighting' capability as the Tokara 60 or the Komodo Dragon and how does the WRC-73 KERAMA rate, I'm talking pulling power and action, not casting.

Greg,

Although i have used them before briefly, the likes of Neil or Brandon will be able to comment much better.

700Xh is in the same fighting class - it is one of the most powerful rods i have ever used. I would say it is closer to a Tokara rather than the Komodo. The Komodo, although retaining a lot of power, is a far more forgiving rod than the Tokara.

The Komodo Dragon is supposed to be an improved version of the Tokara - more research and angler feedback.

As for raw pulling power, i would put the 700XH and Tokara above the Komodo Dragon.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 11, 2007, 03:08:50 PM
unfortunately, I cannot give you much of an opinion on the 700XH so we have a lack of a comparative base.

The Kerama is not in the same class as the KD or Tokara in terms of pulling power. As to whethe the Tokara has more pulling power than the KD, well, if it is, it isn't that noticeable to me.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neil Griffiths

July 11, 2007, 03:14:58 PM
Tokara has been around much longer than Komodo, so you'll get more opinions on it rather than the newer and more expensive Komodo. One interesting thing is that even though the max drag on Komodo is 3kg less than Tokara the wall thicknesses of both rods at the butt are basically identical.
The ratings are conservative if you know what you're doing, I fished Marion last year with a measured 16kg of drag on Komodo and it was cool, no high sticking or bending it over the gunnel though.
Kerama is a 10kg drag rod, so like a ladies (hope my wife doesn't read this) rod.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 11, 2007, 05:58:41 PM
Greg,

As i said, i haven't used them anywhere near as much as Neil and Brandon - trust what they say.

All rods mentioned (except Kerama) are all good for heavy popping (PE8+) - i don't think you can go wrong.

For other use other than heavy popping you may want to give us some more info on how you want to use it for a more concise answer.
Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:37:55 PM by Luke Wyrsta