Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saltiga blast or ??
September 05, 2007, 08:44:16 AM
Hi,

Im thinking of possibly a smaller reel to match to my rod (Dorado 80TN) than the penn 850ssm I currently use, just to help it out weight and balance wise. I was looking at a saltiga blast to run 15kg braid . How do these reels fare, and what other alternatives in that price range are there that will tolerate the same amount of drag.

Andrew

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Saltiga blast or ??
September 05, 2007, 08:07:47 PM
Hi,

Im thinking of possibly a smaller reel to match to my rod (Dorado 80TN) than the penn 850ssm I currently use, just to help it out weight and balance wise. I was looking at a saltiga blast to run 15kg braid . How do these reels fare, and what other alternatives in that price range are there that will tolerate the same amount of drag.

Andrew

Have you considered an old model Stradic (or wait for the new one for that fact)? Going cheap with the new models coming out soon.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 09:38:57 PM
I have a stradic 8000 at the moment thats my light spinning reel, but I dont know if it has the same drag capabilites as the saltiga or twinpowers to handle 15kg line....can they handle that ? I thought the metal was softer in the stradics and the reel I would be looking for would be used as the light soft plastics and smaller poppers etc for kings so it wouldnt be having an easy life.

The ones I thought might be suitable would be a twinpower (4000-6000) a hyper certate possibly?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 09:57:53 PM
I have a stradic 8000 at the moment thats my light spinning reel, but I dont know if it has the same drag capabilites as the saltiga or twinpowers to handle 15kg line....can they handle that ? I thought the metal was softer in the stradics and the reel I would be looking for would be used as the light soft plastics and smaller poppers etc for kings so it wouldnt be having an easy life.

The ones I thought might be suitable would be a twinpower (4000-6000) a hyper certate possibly?

The Stradic 8000 can output 24lbs of drag pressure - more than adequate for 30lb line. I haven't put the hurt on with that much pressure but it is more than capable of fishing 30lb to what i would call effectively.

Can't help you on the metal - i look after mine and don't use it on the rocks. Some Stradics do have magnesium parts which is known to be a 'softer' metal, however, i'm pretty sure the old standard Stradic has a cold-corged Aluminum spool. The price is pretty low at the moment, so you could probably buy two for the price of a TwinPower!
Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:59:35 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:12:59 PM
 A Mart = Stadics at $169 with spare spool ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:19:52 PM
The new stradics dont look anywhere near as nice as my light blue model. At $239 or so , pretty good deals but I did think (maybe wrongly) the gearing(or something) was a softer metal that wouldnt stand up to slugfests over time. That said, my stradic has served me well but mainly on light fish like salmon, bonnies and rat kings etc and not with the drag screwed down.Im pretty careful with my reels and most dont get smashed around on the rocks with the exception of my poor torium. From what I have read , the japanese twinpowers are different to the versions we have here as well, with the o/s version preferred.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:21:02 PM
$169  :o...which model ?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:32:33 PM
Haven't used the JDM models of the TwinPower but i think they are older than our (Austalian available) TwinPower models.

To be honest Andrew, gear failure on these calibre of reels is few and far between in my experience and only evident after years of use - irrespective of brand.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:36:26 PM
All models I presume, they want to run out the stock.
 Decisions, decisions, the money saver or the class :-\, my poor Stradic 6000 hasn't been used since I got a Twinpower.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:42:57 PM
Greg - which model twinpower did you get? How do you compare it to the stradic? I might have to give them a call tomorrow.

Luke, not sure if the JDM version is older but did believe it was higher spec'ed in some ways. My reels have a hard time as they do get drenched quite a bit, but they are also painstakingly cleaned and serviced as well. I haven't had any of my nice gear fail at all. Just the crappy $40 reels for squidding and bait catching have seized.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 10:47:28 PM
Greg - which model twinpower did you get? How do you compare it to the stradic? I might have to give them a call tomorrow.

Luke, not sure if the JDM version is older but did believe it was higher spec'ed in some ways. My reels have a hard time as they do get drenched quite a bit, but they are also painstakingly cleaned and serviced as well. I haven't had any of my nice gear fail at all. Just the crappy $40 reels for squidding and bait catching have seized.

Yeah, all/most JDM reels do have higher specs - just a lot more demand for better performance in Japan - hell if 99% of anglers could tell the difference between that and standard though ;). The problem is that 95% of Australian anglers don't need them that's whay that aren't really seen here.

Try giving Neil a call - he may be able to beat that price too.
Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:51:47 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 11:27:11 PM
Andrew, I have the TW 2500 and 4000 for the 2-6kg fishing, and a 6000 for 8-15kg, the 6000 is fair bit smoother than the Stradie 6000 which it should be. When they first came out a local fishing guru, and a Shimano rep, and a couple of us fisho's were comparing them with a Sustain, unanimous decision was the Twin power felt smoother and more 'solid'.
 The Stradics are what an other brand fans call 'old technology' on an other forum ::), a Luke ;D ;)

PS:The new Stradics and Sustains coming out have definitely been beefed up inside.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 05, 2007, 11:36:40 PM
Andrew, I have the TW 2500 and 4000 for the 2-6kg fishing, and a 6000 for 8-15kg, the 6000 is fair bit smoother than the Stradie 6000 which it should be. When they first came out a local fishing guru, and a Shimano rep, and a couple of us fisho's were comparing them with a Sustain, unanimous decision was the Twin power felt smoother and more 'solid'.
 The Stradics are what an other brand fans call 'old technology' on an other forum ::), a Luke ;D ;)

PS:The new Stradics and Sustains coming out have definitely been beefed up inside.

Yeah, know what you mean Greg ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 06, 2007, 06:34:15 AM
Luke - is that right? The Japanese tend to ensure that their JDM models are the best and most up to date for obvious reasons - 2nd biggest market in the world and their home market.

Haven't used the JDM models of the TwinPower but i think they are older than our (Austalian available) TwinPower models.

To be honest Andrew, gear failure on these calibre of reels is few and far between in my experience and only evident after years of use - irrespective of brand.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 06, 2007, 09:21:07 AM
Luke - is that right? The Japanese tend to ensure that their JDM models are the best and most up to date for obvious reasons - 2nd biggest market in the world and their home market.

I'm not saying that the JDM isn't better - i'm pretty sure that there hasn't been a new release JDM model of the TwinPower for some time now, with our domestic version being newer.