Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The big JDM Stellas (18000 and 20000) do not come with extra knobs as far as  I know? My local tackle shop sells the two versions side by side and there is about US$ 200 price difference. You would have to be either nuts or totally offended by the gross orange handle on the export version to buy the JDM version  :D.

I think Luke is 100% correct - there are absolutely no differences bar the cosmetics, except for some of the smaller JDM models apparently having carbon knobs (about US$ 200 to buy seperately)

Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi All,
My friend bought a used stella SW10000PG and showed it to me.

I was quite surprised by the look of the reel as it does not looked like a JDM model at all in terms of the sW10000 spool does not have any PG stated and the line caps is stated in Lbs and not P.E.

I have not seen any JDM PG models and can someone with the JDM PG model confirm if the JDM spool for PG model should have the PG and the PE line stated for line caps?

The reel foot of the reel only States Shimano SW10000 and not Shimano SW10000PG. Is this the correct body?

We suspect that the seller puts his export model Stella SW10000 body and spool into the JDM Stella SW10000PG box with the JDM gray handle and sold it to my friend as the PG model.

Needed some insights and help to know if this is the case and how do we verify if the gear ration is indeed PG or the XG (which is the export SW10000 gear ratio)?

thanks for all the inputs and help

In the event that the reel is indeed the export SW10000 with the high gear ratio, does anyone know what are the parts number for the gears to convert it into a PG model and the costs of the gears?

have a good day

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hmmm..... sounds a bit dodgy to me Dave. I do not have a 10000PG but I am pretty sure that the spool should state PG and that the line cap on a JDM reel should be shown in both lbs and PE (it is on my JDM SW20000). 

I guess the quick and easy way to check the gearing is to count the number of rotations around the spool from one turn of the  handle. There is a whole rotation of difference between the PG and XG models (4.9 versus 5.8 ) so it will be very easy to tell. The export SW10000 is XG only - 5.8.

Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi all,
many thanks for the information.

I am quite sure the reel is an export model and not a PG.

Does anyone know where I can order a set of the needed gears to convert the reel into a PG ? What will be the costs involved.

The reel was actually plan for the April 15 fishing trip thanks

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I assume you are referring to the current Stella (2008 - now) as you reference gray handle and "XG". The dead give away is there should be a serial number on the reel foot where it states the model(on JDM models) amongst all the cosmetic differences. Yes you are corret that PGs will state PG on the reel foot as well, same goes for XG and HG. You should also be able to easily tell by winding as there is a significant difference in ratio between PG and XG. Try high speed spinning a heavy metal and see how fast you need to wind. If you get tired after 10 casts then its a PG for sure!  ;)

Dont know where you are based but the closest Shimano office should be able to quote and insert new gears for you. Wont be cheap and i dont think that will be done within your timeframe unless you take it there in person and wait.

There are differences between the JDM and export more so in models 4000 - 8000. The JDM market offers a wider variety of sizes. I liken a JDM stella to a base custom rod, same blank, subtle differences, and not as common ex Japan.

I personally didnt want to ask this question that has popped up all over the internet so i took the liberty of just buying all JDM stellas. The amount of time spent reading and researching would have cost me well over $200. Thats just my 2 cents.  :o

Tony Giang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi all,
many thanks for the information.

I am quite sure the reel is an export model and not a PG.

Does anyone know where I can order a set of the needed gears to convert the reel into a PG ? What will be the costs involved.

The reel was actually plan for the April 15 fishing trip thanks

Wouldn't you be better off to sell the reel and buy a new one instead of changing the gears over?
I'm pretty sure it would be alot cheaper that way.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Or demand your money back from the seller as you have been sold something very different from what you ordered.

Adrian Braun

Or demand your money back from the seller as you have been sold something very different from what you ordered.

Agree. I wouldn't let him get away with it.

Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi all,
thanks for the information and advice.

I dont think my friend will be able to look for the seller as he bought the reel 6 months ago and kept it in storage until last weekend when we met and he showed me the reel that he wanted to use for jigging in Maldives.
I had a export SW10000 and was comparing his reel with mine which started all these.

I think he would just want to buy a set of PG gears and convert the reel.

we are based in Singapore and the Singapore Shimano agent does not have any ready parts and ordering it will take 6-8 weeks. =(

He is willing to pay for shipping to get the gear set in so that it can be changed and reel can be used for the april trip.

Will be grateful if someone can point us to the shimano agent in AU and we can try to import the gears.

thanks

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
http://www.shimanofish.com.au/

I do have a feeling that such an unusual order will involve a special shipment from Shimano in Japan and a significant waiting period. But the best of luck trying.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Will be grateful if someone can point us to the shimano agent in AU and we can try to import the gears.

thanks

Hi Dave, send Tim from Dunphy Sports an email.

[email protected]

This is where I get my Stellas serviced in Australia.

Jeff Larsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Personally I have not seen any difference between the two.

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi All,
My friend bought a used stella SW10000PG and showed it to me.

I was quite surprised by the look of the reel as it does not looked like a JDM model at all in terms of the sW10000 spool does not have any PG stated and the line caps is stated in Lbs and not P.E.

I have not seen any JDM PG models and can someone with the JDM PG model confirm if the JDM spool for PG model should have the PG and the PE line stated for line caps?

The reel foot of the reel only States Shimano SW10000 and not Shimano SW10000PG. Is this the correct body?

We suspect that the seller puts his export model Stella SW10000 body and spool into the JDM Stella SW10000PG box with the JDM gray handle and sold it to my friend as the PG model.

Needed some insights and help to know if this is the case and how do we verify if the gear ration is indeed PG or the XG (which is the export SW10000 gear ratio)?

thanks for all the inputs and help

In the event that the reel is indeed the export SW10000 with the high gear ratio, does anyone know what are the parts number for the gears to convert it into a PG model and the costs of the gears?

have a good day

all you need to do is make one full revolution with the handle and count the revolutions made by the rotor.

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
as for changing gears- PG is 4.8:1 and HG/ export 10000sw is 5.8:1, apparently a 20cm difference in retrieve.

I would only change gears if it was completely essential

Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi,
The reason for changing gears to PG is that I wanted to use the reel for jigging.

I dont think the 5.8 gear ratio will be good to jig 250g jigs and I will end up wearing out the gears.

I still have my XG which I will use for popping n this extra set of gears can be a backup.

Emailed tim but no reply.. anyone know where else I can get my hands on the PG gears set?

thanks