David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Better B Grade reel?
December 17, 2007, 08:25:17 PM
1 month out from Fiji and I'm pondering this.. 
I've got 2 main outfits ready to go (50lb and 80lb), but can take a 3rd also.

I've decided to bring along my Nitro Godzilla rod for inshore lagoon stuff, so casting small / mid poppers, metals etc for bluefin trevally, coral trout, mackerel etc.
2 reels I own which could do the job (sort of  ::)) are the Daiwa BG60 or Shimano TSS4, will run 20lb or 30lb braid ONLY on this outfit.
Any suggestion please?  Which one would win the fight between these two reels  ;)

I reckon whichever one will need a drag upgrade to be on the safe side.

Thanks Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Better B Grade reel?
December 17, 2007, 09:20:19 PM
David, if you're only looking to run 20 - 30lb braid, I wouldn't be too concerned at all. As you know, conventional wisdom is to set the drag at some 1/4 to 1/3 the breaking strain. If its 30lb, that's 7.5lb to 10lb which translates to between 3 - 5kg of drag. If the reels can manage that,. they should be fine.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hal Harvey

December 18, 2007, 02:03:26 AM
Dave, both those reels have bad oscillation (line lay) systems, and bad line rollers, which together or separately will give you grief with braid. For use with braid, they're both 'F' Grade reels! I think you would find either of them more trouble than they're worth. 

You could just get say an Okuma Salina 55, which will all work 100% as is (no need for drag upgrades either) - or a Pflueger Lithium or a Daiwa CY - and have no problems. Reel and line would be say $200, which you could recover most of by selling those other two reels.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 18, 2007, 06:40:09 AM
Listen to Hal - he would know far better than me with these reels!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 18, 2007, 07:06:36 AM
Thanks Brandon and Hal,  I know what you mean as far as awful line lay.  I will definitely have a look at those reels..  Any suggestion which one might be the most kayak friendly of the ones you listed?  I spend heaps of time locally fishing open water so gear needs to cope with that also.

Cheers Dave

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 18, 2007, 08:34:55 AM
Thanks Brandon and Hal,  I know what you mean as far as awful line lay.  I will definitely have a look at those reels..  Any suggestion which one might be the most kayak friendly of the ones you listed?  I spend heaps of time locally fishing open water so gear needs to cope with that also.

Cheers Dave

Forget both of them Dave - if you can spare an extra $100.00 go get a new Stradic 6000 or 8000 - all the new enhancements, they are awesome!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 18, 2007, 06:27:16 PM
Even the sustain 6000 or a spheros
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 18, 2007, 08:44:55 PM
gees David - at the rate we're going, I might as well just suggest you buy a Stella!!  :D

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 19, 2007, 07:38:09 AM
gees David - at the rate we're going, I might as well just suggest you buy a Stella!!  :D

Yeah it's a snowball effect.  ;)

Look, I like to buy the best gear as much as anyone.  I have stoked up from virtually no GT gear to a big investment (for me) for this trip.  Seeing I couldn't get anyone to come along, I'm going alone and chartering everything solo, so a few Japanese lures and another decent reel, may (will) mean be the cost of a charter for a day.  Although I understand the resort skippers may be a tad flexible and forgiving, the charter costs are going to the bulk of my $'s spent and I have to budget.

My Daiwa BG60 did dissapoint last time and needs replacing, and I think it is worth taking the Nitro for the lagoons etc .  I'll see what Santa brings or the post Xmas sales, so maybe even Sphero's or Sustain  ::)
Main thing is get out there and enjoy it to its fullest. 

Anyway, gotta go...I have some weights to lift...   :-\

Cheers Dave

Hal Harvey

December 19, 2007, 08:15:57 AM
The Okuma Salina would be the one with the best line lay system. It has plenty of warranty but with yak use there's no substitute for keeping everything running in grease and oil.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 19, 2007, 08:29:33 AM
The Okuma Salina would be the one with the best line lay system.

Okaaaaaay...excuse me while I scoff at that comment  ::)

Neil Griffiths

December 19, 2007, 10:28:41 AM
Unable to resist replying.
How far will this thread degenerate?

Stradic would set you back around $300 and Spheros around $200, nothing like stella prices. Buy one of these.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2007, 01:31:19 PM
Buy Stella and you need not have to think of upgrading , just go fishing .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 19, 2007, 01:58:47 PM
how about a twinpower  ??? ??? that is the half price of the stella ... if you want it cheap then twinpower it can have 15kg drag ... will do the job but i like the stella better  ;) ...

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 19, 2007, 08:39:12 PM
The Okuma Salina would be the one with the best line lay system. It has plenty of warranty but with yak use there's no substitute for keeping everything running in grease and oil.

The Okuma will need plenty of waranty.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER