David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Better B Grade reel?
December 25, 2007, 09:12:08 PM
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

I no longer have a dilemma about reel choice thanks to the most generous of offers to borrow a reel up to the task.  Thanks to Brandon for all your time, assistance and generosity...

Now instead being stuck for choice, I am spoiled for choice  ;D

REALLY looking forward to this trip....

Regards Dave

Brad Bell

December 26, 2007, 07:39:07 AM
Saw the results of a Spheros verus a shark on another forum and the results of the Spheros now needing to be fixed i personally wouldn't want to tangle with anything half decent for those who haven't seen it the drag cover is now melted into the first two drag washers it did have the carbontex upgrade in it

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 26, 2007, 08:14:04 AM
Hi Brad, I saw the pics of that reel & it really does emphasise the need to buy quality high end gear for what we do, sure you will allways get the argument that X reel is nearly as good as Y reel at 1/3 the cost, but can you put a cost on losing that fish of a lifetime  ???
Cheers Chris 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 26, 2007, 05:59:20 PM
Guys,

We are talking about running 20/30lb braided lines here, not sambo jigging drags or XOS shark fishing. Let's stay on track ;)

As numerous members have pointed out, there are many options available from a variety of manufacturers. If you hook-up to a fish of a life-time on 30lb you are just plain unlucky!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 06:49:26 AM
Point taken Luke  ;), so easy to get off track when talking tackle, I get blinded by bling  :o, must have more bling ::) ::)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 08:31:47 AM
I like bling too!
The new Stellas have serious bling although I wish they had gone with a knob on the handle with more bling. The other reel with amazing bling is that Daiwa Morethan Branzino - same complaint about the knob though.

I think the issue with that Spheros goes to prove that while you can upgrade a reel, there is no substitute for the reels that are purpose built to handle that kind of abuse. That is of course easy to say as not everyone wants to outlay a grand on a spinning reel

David - hope you have a great trip. Some nice piccies for us all, please  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 08:34:48 AM
Brandon,

Couldn't resist grabbing a new FD ;)? Which one did you get?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 09:22:29 AM
Luke, I haven't gotten one yet. I was going to get a 3000 or 4000 but for lighter fishing, I've always been a baitcaster man. The baitcasters covers most of my fishing applications and with the worked drags, my Calcutta Conquests are pulling 7kg which is plenty for fishing 20 - 30lb line.

The only problem is when casting a metal slug through tuna, the baitcaster is useless. You can't reel fast enough even with a DC7 Antares!

I will get a spinning reel around the 3000 size - just trying to make up my mind between two reels at the moment. Also will end up getting a 1000 for (gasp!) bream, I think.

Brandon,

Couldn't resist grabbing a new FD ;)? Which one did you get?

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 10:17:02 AM
BREAM ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 28, 2007, 12:55:10 PM
I can't fish for GTs all the time - they're not very prevalent around Sydney Harbour   :'(