Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader Setup For Stickbaits
December 31, 2011, 03:03:57 PM
I have seen a few Japanese photos and some of Brandon's, Luke's and various members with alternative setups. I have used the following for casting so far and prefer the single strand:

• 50-Turn Bimini Twist - Catspaw - Twisted Leader - Braid Nail Knot Over Twisted Leader - Continued Twisted Leader (Tighter) - 300lbs Swivel - 300lbs Splitring - Stickbait
  • Braid - PR Knot - Shock Leader - Uni-knot - 300lbs Swivel - 300lbs Splitring - Stickbait

Correct me if im wrong but have i seen:

Braid - PR/FG - Shock Leader - Double Uni-knot - Bite Leader - Crimped Loop - Solid Ring - Splitring - Stickbait

Any advantages to that (if correct) maybe for action of the lure, weight...?
Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:33:54 PM by Amr Kehila

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Leader Setup For Stickbaits
December 31, 2011, 03:27:39 PM
I virtually always use single strand, but never fluorocarbon with a friction knot.

So:

Braid - FG Knot - Shock Leader 170-210 lbs - Uniknot - NT 2/0 or 3/0 swivel - 250lbs Splitring - Stickbait.

Variations on that I sometimes use are:

1. Omit the swivel and split ring and just uni knot the leader to the stickbait. This can at times give a better feeling of lure control.

2. Have about 80 cm of hollowed out kevlar as a bite leader section. The kevlar fits over the shock leader closest to the lure, thereby creating a bite leader.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2011, 04:09:30 PM
A tiny spot of glue usually when tying to a swivel.

Alternatively, if you want to tie straight to the lure, you can make the kevlar part of the knot as per this:

Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:14:10 PM by Mark Harris

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 02, 2012, 12:08:59 PM
I virtually always use single strand, but never fluorocarbon with a friction knot.

So:

Braid - FG Knot - Shock Leader 170-210 lbs - Uniknot - NT 2/0 or 3/0 swivel - 250lbs Splitring - Stickbait.

This is exactly the same as the set up I currently use. I think it's probably the most common used by many of the forum members at the present time.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 09:20:14 PM
I used to have a swivel in front of a stickbait. But on my last fishing trip I was adviced by one japanese expert not to do it but connect leader directly to the lure (in case of stickbait). He said the lure looses its balance. After that I checked Carpenter home page and surprisingly found that the maker recommends not to use swivels for Gamma stickbaits. At the same time they say swivels are ok for Pandora...

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 09:24:53 PM
I used to have a swivel in front of a stickbait. But on my last fishing trip I was adviced by one japanese expert not to do it but connect leader directly to the lure (in case of stickbait). He said the lure looses its balance. After that I checked Carpenter home page and surprisingly found that the maker recommends not to use swivels for Gamma stickbaits. At the same time they say swivels are ok for Pandora...

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Agree with all of that.

Pandora's action isn't as reliant on direct connection to the lure as much as creating the swaying action with rod work. Definitely not a lure designed for a delicate or intricate retrieve - but deadly effective nonetheless.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 09:48:03 PM
I see. But how the swivel can affect the stickbait action? For example, in case of Gamma (I have never used it yet)? Does it have something to do with stickbait position in water before sweep? Or it is connected with transfering rod action to the lure?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 09:51:01 PM
I often use a swivel with Gammas just for convenience sake when changing lures. I do believe you get a better and sharper action by tying it directly on though. The reason for this is that the action of the gamma is such that when it rolls, a directly tied connection will see the lure react more sharply versus a swivel.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 10:01:56 PM
Brandon is 100% correct.

A swivel creates 2 pivot points or "hinges" which also translate into a loss of energy or a less efficient transfer of energy when working the stickbait.

The nature of the Gamma is already very sensitive, the swivel compounds this as it is not direct as tying straight to the lure.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 10:10:57 PM
Just to throw another one in the mix I run braid, Bimini, catspaw to 200lb mono single, swivel, 10 or 11 owner split. 

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
Thank you, guys!

I am also thinking what if I use stickbaits with the following set up: leader ended with piped loop + split ring + stikbait? This will make changing lures easy, but no swivel between. Do you see any problems with this set up?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 10:25:04 PM
if by piped loop you mean a solid ring, that works. A number of anglers I know use a solid ring and split ring connection to the lure
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 10:44:25 PM
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am thinking to avoid using swivel and solid ring in case of stickbaits by connecting split ring directly to the leader. I can put 1-1,5cm rubber pipe over the leader to protect it from a split ring, crimp the leader to make a small loop and put the split ring to this loop (or better do it before crimping).

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 29, 2012, 11:01:21 PM
Brandon, do you mean that it is supposed to roll? Or do you mean that the direct connection prevents it from rolling?
I think tha Gamma 200 is rolling quite much (at least when I work it! :) ), where as the gamma 140 that Mr. Konishi is working in the Carpenter video doesn't seem to roll at all. It just wobbles which I do prefer over the rolling action.

Thanks,

Peter

I often use a swivel with Gammas just for convenience sake when changing lures. I do believe you get a better and sharper action by tying it directly on though. The reason for this is that the action of the gamma is such that when it rolls, a directly tied connection will see the lure react more sharply versus a swivel.
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Kamalu Charlot

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 30, 2012, 03:01:00 AM
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am thinking to avoid using swivel and solid ring in case of stickbaits by connecting split ring directly to the leader. I can put 1-1,5cm rubber pipe over the leader to protect it from a split ring, crimp the leader to make a small loop and put the split ring to this loop (or better do it before crimping).

I tried this method at first and had failures at the split ring.  The contact area is to sharp (--- vs . ) leading to failure in the mono at the end points.  I think you could get away with it if you changed the line often.  Personally I went with solid ring split ring.