Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SEED popping rod blank
March 12, 2012, 12:57:54 PM
l am new to this forum therefore this is my first posting, l need a little input regarding seed popping blanks. l am looking to custom build a seed popping rod in a 8 foot 3 inch length, l beleive there where two at this length available as two peice blanks via an importer in Brisbaine who now no longer imports seed blanks. l purchased the GT-P83H which is the heavier of the two and l think l should have bought the lighter of the two, the GT-P83. The lighter blank would probably suit my Dogfight better loaded with 50 - 60lb braid, does anyone know where l might buy the lighter one as l may unload this heavy one l have. Looking forward to any assistance you can give,  Cheers
Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:36:36 PM by Ross Smith

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: SEED popping rod blank
March 12, 2012, 01:21:51 PM
No one is currently importing Seed as far as I am aware, Ross
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 12, 2012, 02:58:46 PM
Thankyou for that Brandon, l will have to keep looking maybe from over seas for a GT-P83, l also have a GT-P76 two piece seed popper blank but l think this is a bit light for my dogfight. That means l have one thats too heavy and one that's too light, l need the one thats just right.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 12, 2012, 04:46:11 PM
Im not sure if these guys still get them. Had spoken to them a while ago...

http://www.gccr.com.au/products_blanks_seed.html

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 12, 2012, 05:46:52 PM
Thankyou Andrew, l believe gccr where the importers based in Brisbaine that used to import SEED blanks from Japan but not any more, gccr imported both popping blanks and jigging blanks. Regarding the GT-P83 two peice blanks that l'm after If someone out there has had the misfortune of breaking one of these at the ferrule as l have heard has happened and the top section is still OK, l would be interested in hearing from you.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 12, 2012, 09:28:15 PM
Hi Ross,
try contacting these guys [email protected] they are the singapore based dealers for Seed, in fact used to supply the australian importer.

yes the blank you speak of is a real brute, one of their earlier designs. their newer ones like the 7'10" pop paradise and 7'6" pop witch are much nicer

hope that helps
cheers
Andrew

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 13, 2012, 08:19:05 AM
Thankyou Andrew, l will contact the guys in Singapore for these SEED blanks, l was not aware of the new SEED models pop paradise and pop witch. l will ask them for the specifications for each and post the details here on this forum when l get them, thanks again.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 13, 2012, 10:01:59 AM
no probs, they also do a lighter PE 4-6 blank, GT76HP.

Peter from GCCR brought quite a few of the 7'10" and 7'6" ones in so there's a few out there, may pay to email him and see which shops were ordering a few, there may be stock floating around at places like campbells in WA.

i have built a few of the 7'10" pop paradise ones up. rated PE8-10 and 150g. while setting up the guide spacings i did some load tests, 10kg >90deg. dead lift off the tip loading nicely. weight is good and casts very well. IMO right now the best GT blank available to rod builders

of note there are some 1 piece blanks well suited to popping in the United Composites lineup, and they are just about to release their dedicated 2 piece popping range going to be 7'8" or 7'10" i think. they were slated for release a while ago but have been held back as they are working hard on getting the butt joint spot on. 100% graphite in different modulus along with a dual helical layup, they should be the goods. i build a fair number of their regular style blanks up, some of the lighter spin and baitcast models i have built are the best i've come across for our styles of fishing.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 13, 2012, 10:39:48 AM
Sounds good Andrew, thats a few to look at and consider, l have one of the lighter SEED popper blanks its a GT-F76P two pc PE3-6 that l was thinking of building up but l think its to light for my dogfight. It looks like your suggested 7' 10'' pop paradise may be the way to go being rated at PE8-10.
Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:44:43 AM by Ross Smith

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 12:15:26 PM
G'day all, as lm looking at having a SEED popper rod built for a Dogfight, l would like to know if anyone has either a SEED pop witch or a pop paradise they could coment on. l live on the north coast of NSW and if theres anyone up this way with either of these rods l would very much like to eyeball them. Cheers

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 08:41:46 AM
l have not heard back from the SEED rod blank dealers in Singapore as yet, regarding the availability of SEED blanks. l will send another email to them and try to get a reply, when and if they do reply l will post results for all to see.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 12:52:06 PM
G'day all, as lm looking at having a SEED popper rod built for a Dogfight, l would like to know if anyone has either a SEED pop witch or a pop paradise they could coment on. l live on the north coast of NSW and if theres anyone up this way with either of these rods l would very much like to eyeball them. Cheers

Mate try to get in touch with David Rapley (a member on here) he has built both. I doubt he could help you acquire one but he will have a good non bias opinion on the blanks.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2012, 08:38:19 AM
Thankyou Warwick, l will look David up, cheers.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 15, 2012, 01:06:48 PM
l have not heard back from the SEED rod blank dealers in Singapore as at this date.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 15, 2012, 02:10:25 PM
I have a friend who travels to Japan on business regularly, does anyone know if the Seed blanks are readily available at the japanese shops?