Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SEED popping rod blank
May 21, 2012, 05:56:02 AM
can't help you there Nathan, but i have sourced them from sabre strokers singapore in the absence of a local distributor.

the United Composites blanks out of the USA might interest you, they do a range of 2pc 10' popping blanks for shore popping and are about to release a new lineup of 2pc 7'10" blanks, here's a shot of the last proto being loaded, PE10 model i think

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 21, 2012, 06:20:13 AM
Thanks Andrew,

If you dont mind me asking, what does your source in Singapore charge per blank? Very interested in getting my hands on a few of the Seeds.

As far as United Composites goes, i've had a bittersweet time in dealing with them. Last year i ordered 4 of the 10' buttjoints 100XXH2J. It took them 6 months to get them to me after i had been promised about a dozen times that i would get them in "two weeks". Then once they finally came in, none of the joints fit remotely close to acceptable. The ferrules weren't built uniformly and the blanks just rattled around in them. I sent them all back, and then it took another 2 months to get my replacements. One of which was perfect, the other two still were unacceptable.  Then finally after sending them back again, i received my blanks that were fit properly. UGH, what a nightmare!

But after all that, i have to say that the blanks are some seriously nice products (once they got the ferrule corrected). The 100XXH is an animal of a blank capable of throwing and popping up to 220g lures (170g is sweet) . It will blast the biggest poppers you can find, which is rare for a 10' blank of any standard.
Once United releases their 7'10" blanks i'm curious to see how they perform. From what i have seen from them so far, i feel that they will weigh in a bit heavy, but have enormous power through the back 2/3 of the blank.
What i am most impressed about with the United Comp line, is that the blanks have completely no detectable spine! Which should translate to uniformity of stress distribution throughout the blank = less breakage under high load. After building and handling hundred and hundreds of blanks, this is the first company i've seen that has produced a blank without a detectable spine. COOL!

Also interested in getting my hands on a Phenix Titan popping blank. Supposed to be a PE10 rod with a carbon/kevlar material made in California, USA.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 10:00:13 AM
Hi Nathan,

I can assist to help you check the prices of the SEED popping blanks. Will get you the model, PE rating, length and costs.

Allow me to come back to you tomorrow.

Cheers
Rob

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 12:36:17 PM
G'day Rob, If its no trouble are you able to get the specifications and prices on the two 8 ft 3 in,  two peice SEED popping blanks and post it here for all to see.

cheers and thanks.

Ross.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 08:53:40 PM
sure thing, Ross. No worries.. stay tuned!

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 23, 2012, 04:43:25 PM
Hi Ross, took a quick lunch and headed down to Sabre. They have quite a wide range of blanks but unfortunately, they do not have any 2 piece blanks. I tried to take pictures of the blanks but it was simply too little space to really get a shot of it; therefore, I took photos of the specifications and costs (blank only). I know it's not a great job but hope it will help you along some way.

I've also spoken to the lady boss of Sabre (Mrs Poh - Brandon, she sends her regards to you) and I've informed them that perhaps they can consider joining our humble forum (maybe as an affiliate?) to answer any queries/sales of Seed blanks, Carpenter rods (they are the sole authorized distributor of Carpenter rods in Singapore) including Halco lures (they too are the sole authorized distributor of Halco in Singapore) amongst other tackle. I'll keep you guys updated on this again. Cheers

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 23, 2012, 07:14:36 PM
Excellent Robin, it is a great job you have done and thankyou these pics of the SEED blanks  give us all something to think about.

Its good to see the 7 ft, 6 in, pop witch is still available. The shorter 2 piece blanks in the pics are most probably SEED jigging blanks, its good to see Sabre there in Singapore have popping and jigging blanks, and thankyou to Mrs Poh Brandon.

Cheers and thanks again, Ross.
Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:20:41 PM by Ross Smith

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 24, 2012, 06:38:33 AM
Hi Nathan,
i have had long chats with the oz distributor (who is also a part owner) of UC, and yes they have had issues with getting the butt joint right. because of that he stopped bringing in the 10' range and delayed the release of the 7'10" until they got it right. he assures me it is all sorted now but i'm waiting to receive a sample before i can comment

regarding the no spine thing, i know what you mean and i believe it has something to do with the dual helical layup. i build alot of their lighter blanks and quite often they exhibit 2 opposing backbones also.

re the Phenix, i thought the blanks weren't rolled stateside?
cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

If you dont mind me asking, what does your source in Singapore charge per blank? Very interested in getting my hands on a few of the Seeds.

As far as United Composites goes, i've had a bittersweet time in dealing with them. Last year i ordered 4 of the 10' buttjoints 100XXH2J. It took them 6 months to get them to me after i had been promised about a dozen times that i would get them in "two weeks". Then once they finally came in, none of the joints fit remotely close to acceptable. The ferrules weren't built uniformly and the blanks just rattled around in them. I sent them all back, and then it took another 2 months to get my replacements. One of which was perfect, the other two still were unacceptable.  Then finally after sending them back again, i received my blanks that were fit properly. UGH, what a nightmare!

But after all that, i have to say that the blanks are some seriously nice products (once they got the ferrule corrected). The 100XXH is an animal of a blank capable of throwing and popping up to 220g lures (170g is sweet) . It will blast the biggest poppers you can find, which is rare for a 10' blank of any standard.
Once United releases their 7'10" blanks i'm curious to see how they perform. From what i have seen from them so far, i feel that they will weigh in a bit heavy, but have enormous power through the back 2/3 of the blank.
What i am most impressed about with the United Comp line, is that the blanks have completely no detectable spine! Which should translate to uniformity of stress distribution throughout the blank = less breakage under high load. After building and handling hundred and hundreds of blanks, this is the first company i've seen that has produced a blank without a detectable spine. COOL!

Also interested in getting my hands on a Phenix Titan popping blank. Supposed to be a PE10 rod with a carbon/kevlar material made in California, USA.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 24, 2012, 10:46:20 PM
hi Ross, not a problem at all. let me know if you need any other Singapore-based info.. cheers

Rob

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 27, 2012, 02:00:41 PM
Has anyone tried or seen the OTI ( Ocean Tackle International) range of popper rod blanks from US,
they have two at 8ft 6in in two piece called "Tuna Sniper" available as made up rods or as rod blanks.

l have heard they are similar in action to the 8ft 3in  SEED blanks.?????

Cheers Ross.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 01, 2012, 12:55:20 PM
I now understand that the OTI blanks are more parabolic than the SEED blanks.

Cheers Ross.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 12, 2012, 02:22:05 PM
Has anyone seen or tried the new ? .... United composites-USA .....GUSA Sidewinder Series, 2 pc popping blanks

They have four models on there website      - SW 710M-2J ..... PE 3-5     -    7ft 10in long.  (all four)
     under GUSA Sidewinder Series               - SW 710H-2J ..... PE 6-8                   
                                                                - SW 710XH-2J ... PE 8-10                 
                                                                - SW 710XXH-2J . PE10-12                 

Cheers Ross.
Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:25:06 PM by Ross Smith

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 01, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
Has anyone used any custom built  popping rods and what blanks where they built on.

Cheers Ross.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 03, 2012, 08:11:10 AM
Hi Ross,
re the new GUSA popping blank range, expect them to be available after the AFTA trade show in 2 weeks time. in the meantime i'll see if i can get an update for you. i've been dealing with Peter from GCCR for 8 years or so and i can say it is very good to have a local distributor for availability and backup. the technology and build quality of United Composites is first rate, so providing they have got their tapers and actions right they should be an excellent alternative for rod builders
cheers

Andrew

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 03, 2012, 06:59:24 PM
 Thankyou for that Andrew, l look forward to the update.
 The blanks you speak of may be the "SIDEWINDERS" l have heard about.

Cheers Ross.