Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SEED popping rod blank
December 28, 2012, 12:28:45 PM
Has anyone heard anything regarding the availability of Sidewinder popping blanks by UNITED COMPOSITES  USA. The Sidewinder blanks are 7 ft 10in, 2 piece. ?????  ...... l am looking to custom build one and pair it up with the new Dogfight 7000H.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 28, 2012, 12:49:44 PM
Wassup Ross,

I spoke with Kevan from United Composites last week; he is their primary blank builder. He had just finished building me 6  10'6" butt joint blanks for GT shore rods. We spoke for a few minutes about their line of Sidewinder Blanks. I asked him if they were designed as Tuna/GT combo rod like most of what is readily available from some blank builders now (Temple Reef, Black Hole, Race Point, Phenix, etc...) He told me that they are designed with only GT in mind and do not have the parabolic action of a tuna blank. That was a good thing to hear. As Kevan told me: "They're really F***in stiff man!"

As for availability with most UC blanks, you may have to wait a while to get one once you put it on order. Does UC have another factory in AUS as well as here in the USA? For their factory in California, it has taken me anywhere from 3-6 months to get a special order blank once i have placed the order. Kevan has just told me that they have hired some additional staff, and that blank production time should be becoming quicker. As it is now, he said to expect a 6-8 week wait period to get a Sidewinder Blank on special order. They are backed up on production enough now, that they are building most of their blanks to order from the customer, and not building to fill stock in their factory. 
If you can call around to enough shops you just may get lucky and find one or two Sidewinders available. Most likely you'll have to place an order and wait, as Kevan said that not many have come out of the factory yet.

I'm looking to get a few of these in the near future also. Very interested in trying out the PE8 and PE10 blanks, and will report after they have gone through a few cycles of the GT rodeo on Oahu.

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 28, 2012, 04:15:02 PM
G'day Nathan, thanks for your input, its good to hear the Sidewinder blanks are built for GT's and are not so parabolic as are tuna blanks. l have also heard the Sidewinders are on the stiff side and at 7ft 10in they may be a handfull to handle, l was thinking of maybe cutting 2 to 4 inches off the butt if the handle length permits, to bring them back to 7ft 8in /7ft 6in and still have a power house of a GT rod, PE8 & PE10. l dont think UC has a factory here in AUS, l understand supply has been delayed here in Australia although l'm sure l will acquire them sooner or later.

Cheers Ross
Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:27:32 PM by Ross Smith

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM
G'day Ross,

Campbell's Pro Tackle in Western Australia sells Seed Blanks. They have the GT-P83H listed on their website (see link), and may possibly have the lighter one you are looking for, but not listed.

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=4164

Otherwise you could contact Bluewater Tackle also in WA and try to speak directly with Hal Harvey as he was selling Seed rods at one stage and may possibly have a blank at one of the stores.

http://shop.bluewater.net.au/

Best of luck anyway.

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:02:39 PM by Ian Cook

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 29, 2012, 01:36:08 AM
Thankyou for your advice Ian,

I have contacted both Campbell's Pro Tackle in Perth WA and Hal Harvey also in Perth regarding SEED blanks.

Neither where able to supply the lighter one (SEED) l was looking for..

It appears that GT rod blanks of ANY KIND are hard to find anywhere in Australia.

Cheers Ross

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 29, 2012, 08:10:06 AM
Not a problem Ross, it was worth a try I guess  :).

You might also be able to get some help through a Rod Building Forum perhaps.

All the best.

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:21:47 AM by Ian Cook

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 03:01:47 PM
As covered in previous posts, the local distributor here in oz is also a part owner of UC. if you want the latest updates on any UC gear i'd suggest emailing or calling them www.gccr.com.au

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
 G'day Andrew, thankyou for your advise.

l have contacted gccr and their retail outlets, they all advise that things are slow from UC.

Cheers Ross