Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bail Arm Closing on Stella 10K
April 05, 2012, 10:07:44 AM
Hey Guys, on a recent week long trip I was plagued by the bail arm snapping shut on my 10K Stella SW whilst casting.  It didn't occur on every cast, maybe one in 20 or so, and any change to my technique to try and avoid it (smother, slower etc) only seem to make it worse.

I was using a Coral Viper and casting a few different lures (Cubera 125, Ulua 120, Ebipop 120 etc) on PE8.  In a couple of extreme situations with the heavy lures the impact of the bail arm closing during the cast was enough to snap the line (not at the knot I might add).

On the same trip I was also swapping between this outfit and a SP 78EXH with a Saltiga 6000GT (Also PE8).  I had no issues at all with this setup (even using the same lures for comparison) - I think this might rule out casting technique as the culprit (although I concede the Salty does not have a self closing bail arm).

In order to try to understand the situation, I swapped the 10K onto the SP78 (which is a much stiffer rod).  I had no issues at all with the bail arm closing.  Similarly the 6000GT performed faultlessly on the Coral Viper.  Swapped them back - same issue again.

Here's my theory - The CV being a slightly softer rod developed a slight bounce (reverberation) as the cast is unloaded (launched). the reverberation was sufficient to either 1) rotate the handle on the cast far enough to close the bail arm or 2) bounce the bail arm closed itself - I note the bail arm action on the Stella is very free, particularly compared to the Saltiga.

As additional information, the handle I was using is a Yumeya long handle (10K version) with a jigging master round knob - the whole handle is not really any heavier than the standard setup, and since returning, I have produced the same results using the standard handle and knob.

I want to point out, this is not a Stella vs Saltiga debate - I own both reels and love them both in a range of sizes.

It was a bloody anoying situation, and I might add quite dangerous for the person standing beside me - apart from feeling a bit like an 'idiot' myself.

Has any body had any similar issues at all?  How have they rectified this?  Is it worth contemplating removing the self closer on my Stella?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Bail Arm Closing on Stella 10K
April 05, 2012, 11:07:55 AM
I posted on this very subject not too long ago Pete (although can't find the thread!) and I strongly believe it is the bloody automatic bail arm trip mechanism which can become over-sensitive. It never, ever happens to me with a reel with a manual bail arm but I sometimes have exactly the same issues as you with a SW10000.

Like you, I also find it makes a difference which type of rod you are using. A rod with a strong "spring out" like a CV7940 does make this happen more often and in my case it is always when I go for a big load up cast. The reverberation is enough to trip the bail arm closing mechanism.  That's my conclusion anyway.

It is as you say incredibly annoying and can actually be dangerous. I once jarred my right thumb so badly that I could not fish properly for 2 weeks.  And as you say, the lure flying around can easily smack the person standing next to you.

I don't understand why Shimano have this silly automatic bail arm on the smaller Stellas. Any angler is perfectly capable of closing the bail arm themselves. It is a useless function that just causes problems, as you and I have both discovered.

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:22:48 AM
Hi Peter,

I have the exact same issue on a 10000 stella and 10000 twinpower - drives me insane!!! it happens to me on both rods I've tried these reels on (tenryu spike gt and saltiga bg85s)

Never had the same problem on any other reel of any make... I'm pretty sure its the automatic bail trip (i found some instructions online on how to disable it)

but i also modified my casting style (stopped any any excessive follow through after releasing the line) and it seems to have nearly eliminated the problem

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:38:31 AM
I have a few incident too on this closing, luckily no line burst nor any one was injured. I figured out that before loading, I place the line roller on the left just after the line or on the left side of the reel will eliminate it. So far so good!
Allanchl

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:42:31 AM
Try these guys!
After you grip the line and flip the bail over ready for a cast, turn the the rotor manual to the point where it doesn't turn anymore. What these does, it stop the rotor from doing the last turn during casting, hence the movement forces it to slip back. You wil find happens more often when the handle is facin down (opposite the reel step) and when grip the line and flip the bail over, the rotor is free for a half turn. With the weight of the handle knob is enough to flip shut the bail during casting. Happens more with sw Stella and twin power. Too Sensitive will only upset users.

Ricky

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:45:29 AM
Turning the bail rotor away and making the sure the handle is in the least likely position to move does make a small difference. However, it does not eliminate the problem with a big cast.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:52:24 AM
Thanks guys, all pretty consistent replies by the sound of things, and I'm glad I'm not the only one facing the same situation - I thought I was just losing my Mojo for a while!

Has anybody successfully removed the automatic bail trip? (I realise this might not be a sanctioned action by Shimano) Did this rectify the situation? - or is the weight of the bail arm still closing by itself? 

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 11:56:54 AM
Did that to my Davies TDX, don't have the prob since. Was getting quite sensitive as it got older.

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2012, 12:49:38 PM
Try these guys!
After you grip the line and flip the bail over ready for a cast, turn the the rotor manual to the point where it doesn't turn anymore. What these does, it stop the rotor from doing the last turn during casting, hence the movement forces it to slip back. You wil find happens more often when the handle is facin down (opposite the reel step) and when grip the line and flip the bail over, the rotor is free for a half turn. With the weight of the handle knob is enough to flip shut the bail during casting. Happens more with sw Stella and twin power. Too Sensitive will only upset users.

Ricky

I do this too Ricky and have found no trouble since. Now use this trick on all spinning reels for all styles of fishing. It was on my plastics rod i was getting this the most tho and it made for some pritty sweet dents in my boats paint job!!   :-[
Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:00:43 PM by dan colebrook

Nicolas Lim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 06, 2012, 12:15:39 AM
Try these guys!

Ricky

I find the above method works very well too. Even to get the bail rotor to spring from this position by turning the handle is very difficult.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2012, 10:48:55 AM
I think putting the bail arm rotor in the position you guys suggest is just basic casting technique. I do that with a manual bail arm as well.

With an over-sensitive automatic trip mechanism though, the problem is not eliminated by this when you go for a big cast.

I think this is more about some of those mechanisms being much more sensitive than others. For example, I have two Stella SW10000s and this happens regularly on one of them and almost never on the other.

I had not really thought before about having the trip mechanism removed, but that seems a very good idea to me and I will talk to a Shimano technician about that.  This feature is just a terrible idea.
Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:52:01 AM by Mark Harris

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 16, 2012, 04:52:53 PM
I removed the part n. 12436 in my stella 10000SW (europe model, I don't know if is the same part n. for american and JDM models) . Now the problem of accidental closing of the bail arm is just a memory. The reel has not lost his balance and works fine.
Hope this can help someone...

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 05:57:19 PM
Thanks Antonino, I think I'll have a chat with my freindly reel-tech!

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 05:32:13 AM
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 07:19:25 AM
Hi Peter,
I had the same problem on my recent trip to Musandam, lucky enough we had Shimano engineer on-board, so the problem was fixed,
there is a small plastic part to do with the bail, if you take it out completely the reel bail arms system become like an 18000 or 20000.
then it only close manually and wont affect the performance of the reel whatsoever.

Yagara-san working on the reel