Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bail Arm Closing on Stella 10K
May 25, 2012, 03:25:22 PM
Hi Sami

Nice to bring your own private reel tech! :)

That is exactly the part that Antonio mentions :)

The black ring leaning towards the reel body is the friction that can be replaced.
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 05:16:27 PM
Thanks Sami, yeah I found a youtube video and another short cut from Alan Hawke which made it as easy as pie, I didn't even have to open the reel right up, in the end either.

Now works like a treat (it takes less than 5 minutes per reel), has solved the problem entirely, I'll never go back to an automatic closer on the bigger reels again.  It worked fine on 2 x 8000 twinpowers and a 10000 Stella!

Happy as now! :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 08:02:46 PM
I am in the process of doing this as well on all my Stellas 10000 and smaller and all Twinpowers. I freaking hate automatic bail arms!

Thanks Sami, Antonio and others for pointing out how easy this is to do.

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 08:35:05 PM
Thanks Sami, yeah I found a youtube video and another short cut from Alan Hawke which made it as easy as pie, I didn't even have to open the reel right up, in the end either.

Now works like a treat (it takes less than 5 minutes per reel), has solved the problem entirely, I'll never go back to an automatic closer on the bigger reels again.  It worked fine on 2 x 8000 twinpowers and a 10000 Stella!

any links for those tutorials? thanks in advance

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 25, 2012, 09:50:27 PM

any links for those tutorials? thanks in advance

X2... I would also like to solve this on my own 10K.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 26, 2012, 02:19:26 AM

Peter,
care to share the link of youtube and the Alan hawk site?

many thanks

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2012, 09:05:25 AM
For those who asked for the links, this is probably the easiest one to follow:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/779475/stella-sw-bail-trip-strike-removal

but before you do it, the following comment from Alan is handy if you want to take the short cut;

"There is a small angled part that can be removed from the smaller models to make them manual like the bigger two. That part has a small head that is trapped between the body and the side cover before the last is screwed in. So in order to remove it and keep it (the trip part) in a good shape you have to tear down 70% of the reel. Alternatively you can simply remove the rotor only, then rip that part off with pliers. The reel would then be manual bail, but the part will lose its trapped head and you can't put it back again.

Unlike other reels, you can't just remove the bail trip lever from underneath the bail arm because it double tasks as a brake lever. So if you remove it the rotor's brake will not work and it will spin during casts".

Gary Krol

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 26, 2012, 09:13:44 PM

"There is a small angled part that can be removed from the smaller models to make them manual like the bigger two. That part has a small head that is trapped between the body and the side cover before the last is screwed in. So in order to remove it and keep it (the trip part) in a good shape you have to tear down 70% of the reel. Alternatively you can simply remove the rotor only, then rip that part off with pliers. The reel would then be manual bail, but the part will lose its trapped head and you can't put it back again.

Thanks for the link, but hard to agree that this is taking down 70% of the reel, looks like about 10 minutes work to do it the right way rather than take the shortcut.  The reel has around 150 individual parts and this only requires removing about 20 of them with all of them being on the exterior, unless I am missing something.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2012, 10:34:29 PM
Gary, I used the short cut on all three reels, about 5 mins each after allowing for a couple of sips of red in between (6-8 parts to remove) I can't see myself wanting to reinstall that automatic closer again ;D

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 27, 2012, 05:12:08 AM
I hope next Stella generation will be without automatic bail closing, for medium and small size reels (I asked to Shimano Europe about it... my be, will be the market to fix this decision...). I remove the same part also in my 5000 FA, after loosing some lures... I love stella, I hate automatic closing...
Happy to have been helpfull for this forum  :D

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 27, 2012, 05:23:04 AM
I hope next Stella generation will be without automatic bail closing, for medium and small size reels

:) :) :)

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 06:17:29 AM
Removed the bail trip from mine last night following Peters method of ripping out the part with needle nosed pliers.Very simple to do & will feel a lot more confident casting now.Thanks to all for the info. shared.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 01:32:39 PM
any link to youtube video?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 09:44:12 PM
Sorry Wan, thought it was YouTube video, but just the slide show linked above!.......one too many reds i think!  Very easy to follow though.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 31, 2012, 03:16:51 AM
Sorry Wan, thought it was YouTube video, but just the slide show linked above!.......one too many reds i think!  Very easy to follow though.

its ok Pete..many thanks for sharing Alan Hawk's link....
dont dare to open up the reel myself, need to find someone in KL who very familiar with stella mechanism.
news i heard that it will takes 2-3 months if i send the reels to Malaysia Shimano Service Center!!!!