If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader Setup's why so complex?
November 23, 2012, 08:49:24 PM
Mark, I have used the kevlar sleeve approach in the past. I don't know if it is more visible but it plays on my mind!!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 08:53:58 PM
Wow Luke. Would you mind sharing how you set up the kevlar sleeve?  Just a simple sleeve with a knot to stop it moving?

Hi Mark,

Yes, just slide the Kevlar over the nylon and then do a overhand knot near the junction so both materials are in the one knot.

Luke

Thanks very much Luke. That's what I thought.

Brandon - ha!  I know what you mean... big visible kevlar-clad leader and... no bites.... the mind starts racing...  :-\
Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:55:34 PM by Mark Harris

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 23, 2012, 09:21:19 PM
Since 200 lb up looks like anchor rope to me, I use a bowline in heavy mono, which I am sure is heresy, but like a lot of my fishing practices I'll change when it fails. I have never had a bowline fail and can unpick it to change lures??

FG knot from braid to mono or FC leader, bowline uni or blood knot to lure, keeper it simple.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 24, 2012, 10:32:18 AM
Mark, I have used the kevlar sleeve approach in the past. I don't know if it is more visible but it plays on my mind!!

Brandon,

I also use the nail and think it's the only alternative to crimps. I tend to leave generous tags, too. Will try Peter's, but when I've got some time.

One the note of the visibility of the kevlar - I guess that's also relative to the fish's temperament. More often than not, the GT bite is reactionary and territorial (although there slow times definitely stick out significantly where you really need to work on shy and timid GTs!)...

I noted that Fukui-San uses Kevlar on ALL his GT rigs and obviously catches GT left right and centre. The first time I saw this he sunk a Pandora 155 with Kevlar some 60 metres down and a few metres later had hooked up and passed on a 50kg GT to one of his clients.

Unless the bite becomes really slow and hard-work, I guess that's why we have many rod configurations to switch, swap and change - if in doubt, simply go back to standard nylon, feel comfortable in your confidence - guess it's better to hook-up and risk it, than not to hook at all, right?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2012, 11:43:20 AM
For what it is worth, my view on this is to keep it simple most of the time - i.e. a single strand mono shock leader straight to terminals or lure. 

However, if bite leaders become necessary or you are fishing in true monster fish country where an inhalation becomes more likely,  then be prepared with a bite leader set up. For that, I think I prefer the kevlar sleeve set up, than creating a new section of leader with the necessary extra connections.  All that notwithstanding some nervousness that kevlar might be very visible!

With kevlar, one clear advantage is that knots do not slip. Anyone who makes their own jigging assists will know that a simple overhand around the hook shank for example, does not slip.  Therefore, my idea was form the knot to terminal using the kevlar sleeved leader.  This also serves to hold the sleeve in place. Apologies for posting a pic that some of you will have seen before, but it demonstrates what I mean:

Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:49:33 AM by Mark Harris

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 26, 2012, 10:02:18 PM
Brandon, do you mean that the knot is slipping? Even with 5-6 turns? I tested the knot to 40 kilograms with no issues.

Regarding bite leader segment:
Is anyone using a long chain knot for protection? I tried at home with 270 lbs which looks very bulky. Maybe it could work with 220 lbs?

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 06:01:54 AM
Hi Peter
I can't get the clinch knot to bite with heavy mono. It just won't tighten up properly for me.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 06:52:17 AM
Hi Brandon, I've noticed a better clinch with stiffer leader compared to soft. My preference is Ande hard leader 200 or 250 which has the diameter of 300-350lb other brands. For whatever reason the Ande forms a perfect clinch where some of the others of equal diameter almost seem to grab too much as the knot tightens. Strange

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 07:19:57 AM
That's interesting - I would have thought a stiffer leader would have been even harder to knot.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 11:56:50 AM
Regarding bite leader segment:
Is anyone using a long chain knot for protection? I tried at home with 270 lbs which looks very bulky. Maybe it could work with 220 lbs?

It does not look right to me even with 170lb Galis.