Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rod Advice please
March 09, 2013, 03:36:05 AM
Thanks folks.

For arguments sake, if I said what TWO RODS would you recommend to cover my specs, what would you say?
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2013, 03:55:54 AM
Thanks folks.

For arguments sake, if I said what TWO RODS would you recommend to cover my specs, what would you say?

if it were for me , a long rod around 8'5" rated PE 5~8 and a shorter rod around 8'0" rated PE 6~8 . The longer rod is used for casting 60~120 gr. n the shorter rod for 90~150 gr. lures .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2013, 06:32:15 AM
Guy, you will get a myriad of different options and none of them would be wrong.

If I was going to get two rods to fish that region, I would probably go with:

1) Monster Hunter MH80H
2) Blue Lagoon 80/40 or Ripple Ultimo (either 79H or 82H)

Both rods would cover the spectrum from PE8 to PE10 and would cover all lures types I fish. This is what would suit me for the way i like to fish It may very well not suit how you like to fish at all.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 13, 2013, 10:29:41 PM
Hey Guy,
Mate if you can find one, just buy a Coral Viper! It will suit your lure choices spot on and you won't have a problem with cast distance. This is your rod (imho)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 13, 2013, 11:14:13 PM
Guy, whatever you buy I think it would be great to hear back from you when you have done so and fished for a bit with it. That's great feedback for other members.

The forum rarely seems to hear back from folks who ask these type of questions.

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 06:35:47 PM
I knew I was aksing a lot form the start re: picking one rod that would cover most of my work, so I decided to divide and conquer and I'll get two rods.

I've ordered one now and I'll spend some time getting acquainted with it before get serious about the next.

I ended up ordering a Blue Lagoon 80/40 as it sits in a sweet length category for me and sounds like it covers about 90% of my stickbait fishing weights/time, which also happens to be the majority of my GT fishing.  I might try the odd light popper on it and see how it goes as well.

I'll look for something a bit heavier and geared more towards my popper weights in the near future.

Once I have the rod and have had the opportunity to wrestle a few fish I'll be sure to provide feedback.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 08:02:41 PM
Good concept going for 2 rods.

You will enjoy the TBL80/40, I fished it pretty hard with PE10 in southern Oman last year without issue. At that time conditions were not ideal for gamma's and those type of stick baits so I used skipjack 150, and the 130-140gm Shell Shaper kathibe and bubble-rise poppers without issue.

Here is the fish I caught on my custom TBL80/40.
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 08:23:44 PM
I remember that fish so well Andy... like it was yesterday :)

TBL 80/40 is a lovely rod Guy. Not really the all-rounder you originally asked for but now you are going for two rods.... lovely :)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 08:38:43 PM
That was a crazy morning mark, can't wait for this years episode.
Set the ray to GeeT

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 08:50:09 PM
Yeah thanks Mark.  I know it's not in line with my original enquiry, and thediversity of the responses to that original question really rammed home just how much i was asking, so i changed my POA.

From reports, the TBL 80/40 does seem to be a pretty good fit, my only caution i that is could be a bit heavy (not physical weight, but strength).  It seems the sweet spot of the casting weight is exactly what i fish most of the time i.e stick baits 120-165g.  I just see people flicking much larger lures and/or running PE10 over this rod which makes me a bit cautious.  Time will tell!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 08:57:11 PM
I think you will be happy with TBL 80/40 Guy. Although, and as Andy pointed out, the rod will handle PE10, it is very much a PE8 rod I think.

As for stickbait weights I have used mine so far with Gamma 140 and 160, ASWB Bungarra 170 and Penipen 140, all on PE8.  For me, it is perfect in the 140-160 range and bit lighter will be absolutely fine.

There is just something about this rod and I cannot explain what it is (I have not even used it that much yet!)... but that "something" makes me feel it will become a Carpenter classic.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2013, 10:45:29 PM
It can cast 120gm lures a long way, it feels like a slightly stronger PE8 rod than the similarly rated CV79/40, I am going to fish it with PE8 on a 16k stella in a couple of weeks time. This is the rod i always wanted my CV79/40 to be, a touch longer and a little bit stronger.
Set the ray to GeeT

James Wang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 18, 2013, 12:58:35 AM
Between the TBL80/40 and CV79/40, which more efficient for small to medium chugger?

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 18, 2013, 09:22:26 AM
How does the EP82/38 compare with the TBL80/40 for working stickbaits in that 140-160g range.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2013, 11:25:26 AM
Between the TBL80/40 and CV79/40, which more efficient for small to medium chugger?

The CV, but by medium I would not be trying to pop anything like a GT2 or GT3 with the CV, something more along the lines of the skipjack or the cubera in 125gm will be ok.
Set the ray to GeeT