Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Super glue and braided line
July 03, 2013, 01:17:34 PM
No good knot or charred tag end requires glue. Wind-On serves are the exception.

I don't agree with that from a finishing point of view. An assist cord knot for example benefits greatly from glue and it is the only way I have found to stop it fraying. Also I am sure I am not the only one who gets irritated by frayed ends on an FG knot after a lot of hard casting even when it has been fire cut.  A blob of glue stops the fraying.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 01:30:43 PM
Assist cord doesn't slip if it is tied properly. Actually, it need to be tied pretty badly for it to slip. The fraying looks terrible cosmetically but I have never seen it become a problem in terms of causing slippage. I use shrink tube so it is irrelevant anyway.

You only get the frayed ends if you cut the line using the Bouz burner. If you burn it down, it never frays.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 01:36:46 PM
Bad fraying on an assist cord really worries me Brandon as after a while it seems to continue right into the knot.

On burning braid - that's very interesting. I always use a Bouz line cutter as I have been concerned about burning down and the flame being out of control and effecting the integrity of the knot/line.  But I can easily see how that would great a "blob" effect and seal the end of the braid nicely.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 01:56:52 PM
No good knot or charred tag end requires glue. Wind-On serves are the exception.

I don't agree with that from a finishing point of view. An assist cord knot for example benefits greatly from glue and it is the only way I have found to stop it fraying. Also I am sure I am not the only one who gets irritated by frayed ends on an FG knot after a lot of hard casting even when it has been fire cut.  A blob of glue stops the fraying.

Well I don't know what you are doing wrong but all my charred PE and custom assists do not fray. Period.

So, still - glue is not in anyway required.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 02:18:31 PM
I guess you are just much better at it than me Luke  ;)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 03:57:52 PM
I guess you are just much better at it than me Luke  ;)

Made a dozen custom assists and tied, used and stretched FGs all of last week. The only deduction is that you aren't doing it or not doing it right all.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 04:10:31 PM
Well I can promise you I am "doing it" and I have no idea why you would think I am not.

As I said, I guess you are much better at it than me, and the other anglers who I see having the same issue. Cut kevlar frays badly 100% of the time when I use it. A blob of glue or alternatively heat shrink, stops that fraying. Even if use heat shrink I still normally seal the tag ends of the kevlar with glue and stick them against the shank of the hook before fitting the heat shrink.

A tied off FG knot frays sometimes when I use a Bouz line cutter (see my reply to Brandon above).  Brandon's advice about burning it down rather using a cutter is helpful. I have always been a bit nervous about naked flame and braid.  A tiny blob of glue at the end of the tie off around the mainline ensures it never frays and I can't see how that would cause any harm?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 04:25:28 PM
Well I can promise you I am "doing it" and I have no idea why you would think I am not.

As I said, I guess you are much better at it than me, and the other anglers who I see having the same issue. Cut kevlar frays badly 100% of the time when I use it. A blob of glue or alternatively heat shrink, stops that fraying. Even if use heat shrink I still normally seal the tag ends of the kevlar with glue and stick them against the shank of the hook before fitting the heat shrink.

A tied off FG knot frays sometimes when I use a Bouz line cutter (see my reply to Brandon above).  Brandon's advice about burning it down rather using a cutter is helpful. I have always been a bit nervous about naked flame and braid.  A tiny blob of glue at the end of the tie off around the mainline ensures it never frays and I can't see how that would cause any harm?

No harm besides completely convoluting the process.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 05:33:22 PM
Sam... use a Rizzuto finishing knot and no more tag ;)

I do, but I must do something wrong because it always unravels itself after a few outings on the same leader...

I experience that too.

The half-hitches and burning the tag just seems to work perfectly!

Sounds simple, I like simple. Done.

Alan Syme

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 07:10:56 PM
as has been said, you can use superglue it works without damaging the integrity of the braid, but is rigid.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2013, 07:30:50 PM
Hey Alan. For that very reason I was pleased to get the recommendation of Pliobond from Nathan. As the name implies it is not rigid.  Good stuff for sure.