Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First GT trip
August 18, 2013, 11:31:48 PM
Echo the words of Brandon, need to be careful there is definitely something brewing. I for one am not going to do any trips to Socotra until at least next year. If you can stay in the airport and don't go outside. If you send me a PM I can give you a possible alternative not to go through Sanaa going but coming back unfortunately you have to go through Sanaa but if you fly through the UAE you only have to wait about 2 hours.

I recon Socotra is no issues at all.

Cheers,
Nick

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 19, 2013, 01:28:34 PM
PM sent Nick.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 20, 2013, 08:40:46 AM
I'm loading my reels this weekend with fresh line. Any advantages or disadvantages with jb hollow over solid? I've practiced the PR knot with solid, but I believe I could get more hollow on my spools. Seeing as I will be dragging GTs away from rocks upon hook up, capacity may be an issue. Spool sizes are:

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 30, 2013, 02:39:48 AM
Hollow core gives you more connection options.  I would use hollow with wind-on connections for plugging for GT.  That's what my friends and I use here in Hawaii.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 30, 2013, 05:08:15 AM
Thanks Mark. I've loaded them with hollow. I've also mastered twisted leaders, PR knots and what Nick uses, the GT yucatan. I actually prefer the GT yucatan and twisted leaders with 200lb. I can fire a 2m twisted leader fairly well.
I like the hollow a lot. No more biminis. I don't know why I didn't switch earlier. Habits I guess.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 03, 2013, 08:13:35 AM
Well, I was just watching the news and the airline I am using was hijacked. Doesn't really mean a lot. I'm still more likely to be killed by a lightning strike in Florida and I don't live there.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 03, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
Well, I was just watching the news and the airline I am using was hijacked. Doesn't really mean a lot. I'm still more likely to be killed by a lightning strike in Florida and I don't live there.

Socotra is hard to get to at the best of times.

Your lack of concern is both worrying and naive.

Anyway, each to their own.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 03, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
The naivety I have stems only from lack of experience traveling the area, not from lack of information and judgements made on this information. I understand the risks outside of my control. All that I can control, I am. It's either risk that which I can't control and experience life to the extent I wish or mark places I want to see from the list. I choose the former.