• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NEW SALTIGA EXPEDITION REELS
July 07, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Reviews are just reviews - keep your pants on. The true test is on water performance over an extended period of time.

Definitely looks like a massive specification and technological improvement and then some - which was essential to keep up with the market.

Joel Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 09, 2014, 06:39:56 PM
Does the wider top spool puts more resistance to the pe line when casting ?
Thus reducing asting distance as compared to a stella 18000?

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 02:47:14 AM
BTW, who is Alan Hawk, a reel repair man using a pseudonym?  Anyone know anything about him? 

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 03:45:58 AM
Good evening,

So which model do i have to take for jigging:
the 6500 model?

Best regards,

Arnout.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 01:11:19 PM
Dan,

He's an American who does a whole series of spinning reel reviews and then rates them. I'm not sure of his CV but he seems to have a strong engineering background and is also a keen fisherman. His value is that he is supposedly not connected to any of the manufacturers so he is unbiased. His views are fairly well respected.

I, personally, take his reviews with a pinch of salt because I find them heavy on the engineering and light on the fishing but I'd be in a minority.

Regards,

Trevor
Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:14:04 PM by Trevor Skinner

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 05:00:30 PM
I've never quite understood why Alan Hawk seems to illicit the comments he gets. I have never personally doubted his independence and to me, he calls it as he sees it. You can either accept what he says or not but all I can say is that he understands reel design at a level which I can never hope to.

When he criticises a Daiwa reel, the Daiwa fans accuse him of being affiliated with Shimano and when he criticises a Shimano reel, the Shimano fans accuse him of having something going with Daiwa. It seems like the only thing that he gets right as far as everyone is concerned is when he criticises Tuff Tackle reels!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 10, 2014, 10:22:06 PM
I have to agree with Brandon I find the reviews on his web site very objective, you can tell he's a complete reel geek but he gives praise where its due and lashes anything he finds unacceptable.

Considering the price of the Saltiga if it was the best reel in the world it I'd be a bit angry when I bought it. Both Shimano and Daiwa have reached a stage where it doesn't really matter which reel you buy personally I'm a Shimano guy I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I hold any of my Stella's

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2014, 08:02:36 AM
Happy with your reel? All good then.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Would anybody consider the expedition 8000 for popping GTs?
Given its weight is about the same as Stella 18k, size slightly larger (not like the gigantic Stella 30k)

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2014, 06:06:31 PM
I absolutely love Alan Hawk's reviews and support the site as well.
Imo though you still have to make your own mind up about a reel, first because tastes are different and second because I think Alan get's a little caught up in his emotions about a reel sometimes, like with the old and new Stella (in opposite directions). For example so far I didn't hear about any gear problems of the 2013 Stella, or any other failures, that you would expect after such a bad review and I'm sure some people put it through it's paces.

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2014, 12:39:45 PM
Felix, I'm with you regarding Hawk's reviews.  I too haven't heard of any widespread problems with the 2013 Stellas.  He bashed on Shimano for using a brass pinion instead of stainless steel, as if it were a major downgrade.  I'm sure the engineers at Shimano had good reasons for using brass, maybe to increase gear smoothness-I'm not sure.  I also haven't heard of any widespread rotor problems.  I do enjoy his reviews, and he obviously has high mechanical acumen and fishing experience.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 17, 2014, 01:16:29 PM
Given its weight is about the same as Stella 18k, size slightly larger (not like the gigantic Stella 30k)

Yes. I think it is an ideal size for a serious GT reel.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2014, 07:20:57 PM

Yes. I think it is an ideal size for a serious GT reel.
I'm considering one as a double duty reel for BFT & GTs :)

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2014, 12:01:57 PM
Saltiga and Stella ??????

They are both brilliant reels provided you don't stretch the poor things necks and treat them with a little TLC.         (tender loving care) :)
Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:03:37 PM by Ross Smith

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 01, 2014, 09:34:56 AM
For those of us who haven't seen Alan Hawks review for the NEW SALTIGA EXPEDITION REEL

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/exp14.html

YOU'V  GOTTA  LOVE  IT  :)

Cheers Rossco
Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:43:46 AM by Ross Smith