Hal Harvey

Re: Stickbaits - different types
March 24, 2007, 02:49:42 PM
Dorado Sliders come 14cm or 18cm, and in the bigger ones there's 65g and 85g. The 85 still sounds light but it's not too bulky so it casts well. It's been made for 18 months but we only got them to sell this week!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
March 24, 2007, 04:09:58 PM
spewing..would have preferred the 85..The littler ones still cast pretty good, but that little bit extra weight would have been nice. Will check out the site and might stock up some more bits and pieces...

cheers

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2007, 08:17:48 PM
Hal,
Please stop making posts like this...........you know I cant help myself!  ;D ;D ;D
The D'Sliders I picked up at Meville yesteday look the business.
Andrew

I'll add my biased two bit's worth. Some of our guys love using Ocea Pencils on kings and smaller pelagics (macks and tuna), while others have been a lover of the equivalent Daiwa stickbait, Dorado Slider 14. Both are definitely great lures and all the staff have stocked up on them, though neither of them are GT lures in my book; but Daiwa also do a Dorado Slider 18cm, in either 65g or 85g, and that is a very desirable lure! We just got them in this week. I bought some when I went to Japan last year and have been using them, love 'em, so very happy to now have them on the Australian market.

Bernie talks about adding more weight to a Wahoo. I did ask the manufacturer to do this late last year, to give it more 'bob' on the pause, and the newer ones are a little weightier in the tail than the originals, but they didn't go as far as I originally wanted them to. But then after having used them more I do reckon it's really just a change of technique compared to using stickbaits that have even heavier tails, and I'm happy with how they are now. They also did me up some high floating ones, lighter, which were theoretically going to be good for lagoon country, but in practice weren't required, so we scrapped that plan.

This is a link to some of our stickbaits. About the end of the month we'll also have Wahoo 125s, which are physically sized between the 100 and the 150, not just a heavier version of the 100.

We've been experimenting as much as time allows with using singles on Dyneema/Kevlar cord, instead of singles on split rings or trebles on split rings. Results to date have been very encouraging, at least on big fish. Jobus and SJ-51s for extra-heavy lures, and SJ-41 Owners for most things, seem to be the go.

Hal Harvey

April 04, 2007, 11:31:44 PM
The Wahoo 125s arrived yesterday, fills the range rather well.
http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1388

If you got to http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/products_new.php you'll also find some new poppers including GT Manias and the very cool Skipjack 90, a lovely size lure.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2007, 08:24:47 AM
Hal - that GT Mania sure looks the goods!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 07, 2007, 08:51:43 PM
Found one of the gillies stickbaits, but doesnt appear to be the new one that Hal has..but still looks good to try out.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 11:20:25 AM
Artical on stickbaits by Scott Bannerot with Damon, in Apr/May BlueWater mag. Some lures wearing singles.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 02:41:13 PM
Artical on stickbaits by Scott Bannerot with Damon, in Apr/May BlueWater mag. Some lures wearing singles.

we've had the discussion on singles versus trebles a few times now, including on this site. I think the general consensus is that you get a better hookup with singles but you get less hookups. Like Neil, I also firmly believe that singles work bettter when trolling. The Nomad boys swear by their singles (they use Owner Jobus off split rings) but I don't know how much of this is driven by the inaccessibility, price and performance of the top trebles. While it hasn't happened to me, I certainly know a number of GT fishos who have seen their trebles compromised, including those hideously prices Decoy GTs and Gamakatsu Recorders.

A number of guys who have gone to singles are running big assist hooks like SJ-51s and tying them on.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 06:52:45 PM
Here is a Carpenter stickbait with 9/0 SJ51s attached with split rings.