Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Seychells
April 24, 2009, 02:55:06 PM
Does anyone have any info on charters that accommodate the GT fisherman.  Can find plenty of fly charters, interested in fishing
cosmoledo atoll.  I know there is a bit of info on here, would be good to hear from anyone with any knowledge of the area

cheers

Brad

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Seychells
April 24, 2009, 03:00:37 PM
I got invited on a trip there a couple of years ago. I suggest you do your sums carefully when you cost it out because I got scared off by the total cost!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 05:03:45 PM
Any particular reason you choose Seychelles Brad, plenty of other locations for a cheaper cost with more potential.

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 05:10:29 PM
Havnt chosen seychells mate

just getting ideas for next year

want to plan something?

im sure your keen

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 05:58:11 PM
Brad - I've fished both Cosomoledo and Farquhar Atoll on an exploratory Swoffing trip in 2005... Over 200 GT's landed between 8 guys in a week... all wading on the flats and sight casting on fly.... the biggest fish puching the 40 kilo mark....

1000's of Bonefish, Snapper, Grouper and a bunch of good milkfish too..... in all 39 species for us...

It is the Jurassic Park of the Fishing world.... Its NUTS!!!
But that being said, it is mainly catered for fly anglers by the better operators, on the live aboard trips to the outer atolls like Cosmo, Farquhar, Astove and Providance.... Most operators are not so keen to get the conventional anglers on to the flats as they reckon its too easy and will mess the fly fishing up for the fly anglers who come in huge numbers( relatively of course, very limited access ), and carry huge cash....

When I fished Cosomo and Farquhar, there was no need for throwing teasers etc for the GT's on the flats, the GT's were everywhere.... Now its become the norm for the guides to throw hookless poppers and bring the GT's into casting range on the flats..... And they take some MONSTERS....

I still don't think  that anyone with the right gear and tactics has really explored the Atolls on Poppers... alot of guys get to fish St.Josephs, and such, but all boat based.... for me, the ultimate would be wading the flats and channels with popping stick in hand as you could experience the very best  GT fishing on the planet, and you would be land based, wading after the dinghys drop you off.....

Get hold of Greg Burt and see if he can burn you a copy of the DVD I sent him....

I am meeting with Gerhard of Flycastaways ( The BEST GUIDING Operation in Africa and Indian Ocean ) who I did my trip with to discuss possible conventional options with him.... he knows the Seychelles like the back of his hand, and is the right man to speak to...

Hopefully I'll be able to shed some light on further possibilties in the near future....

But as has been stated above, its not a cheap place, and you guys do have some pretty amazing options alot closer, but I can promise you that Seychelles is like nowhere else on earth.....

GT's, Doggies,Bones, Milkies, Snapper, Sailfish, Yellowfin.... endless...   

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 06:22:52 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6025197.ece

Look out for pirates! AARRRGGHHHH!!!!

Was taken somewhere south of Cosmo a couple of weeks back. Only crew on board.

Went to St Jo's last year and although our fishing was slow there was a lot of potential although more for numbers than true leviathan size...

Would give my left ball to fish the Southern Attols but don't fancy a year in a bombed out shell in Mogadishu.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 06:27:28 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6025197.ece

F*ck me David, thats the boat I was on for my trip.... Sheeeeeit!!! Farking bastard pirates!!! Damn thats a serious shame....

I'm gonna chat to Gerhard tonight, I know he is really good mates with the skipper.....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 08:34:59 PM
Andre

id be pretty keen to find out more, id be happy wading the flats for some landbased action

i could at least take my fly rod with me, wonder if they would mind me taking my GT gear as well

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 08:43:52 PM
It's a worry and much as I hate being risk averse I really don't want to spend any time in the capture of khat chewing maniacs with AKs and RPGs.

I don't think they're around the Amirantes but hey who knows where they are...

I really don't know how they haven't sorted this situation out. When it starts to interfere with fishing then its serious.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 08:59:55 PM
each to their own but why would you take a risk wth personal safety just to go fishing when there are options that are perfecty safe..........
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 24, 2009, 09:25:14 PM
I am off to Denis Island (far far far North Seychelles) and taking popping and fly gear with me - been lure fishing for years but finally making the step up to man sized lures!

looks like there is a mix of fish and getting a couple of days out on a skiff - hopefully chasing some reasonable GT's - will post a report when I get back in June!

steve sims

April 25, 2009, 12:17:23 AM
Brad - I've fished both Cosomoledo and Farquhar Atoll on an exploratory Swoffing trip in 2005... Over 200 GT's landed between 8 guys in a week... all wading on the flats and sight casting on fly.... the biggest fish puching the 40 kilo mark....

1000's of Bonefish, Snapper, Grouper and a bunch of good milkfish too..... in all 39 species for us...

It is the Jurassic Park of the Fishing world.... Its NUTS!!!
But that being said, it is mainly catered for fly anglers by the better operators, on the live aboard trips to the outer atolls like Cosmo, Farquhar, Astove and Providance.... Most operators are not so keen to get the conventional anglers on to the flats as they reckon its too easy and will mess the fly fishing up for the fly anglers who come in huge numbers( relatively of course, very limited access ), and carry huge cash....

When I fished Cosomo and Farquhar, there was no need for throwing teasers etc for the GT's on the flats, the GT's were everywhere.... Now its become the norm for the guides to throw hookless poppers and bring the GT's into casting range on the flats..... And they take some MONSTERS....

I still don't think  that anyone with the right gear and tactics has really explored the Atolls on Poppers... alot of guys get to fish St.Josephs, and such, but all boat based.... for me, the ultimate would be wading the flats and channels with popping stick in hand as you could experience the very best  GT fishing on the planet, and you would be land based, wading after the dinghys drop you off.....

Get hold of Greg Burt and see if he can burn you a copy of the DVD I sent him....

I am meeting with Gerhard of Flycastaways ( The BEST GUIDING Operation in Africa and Indian Ocean ) who I did my trip with to discuss possible conventional options with him.... he knows the Seychelles like the back of his hand, and is the right man to speak to...

Hopefully I'll be able to shed some light on further possibilties in the near future....

But as has been stated above, its not a cheap place, and you guys do have some pretty amazing options alot closer, but I can promise you that Seychelles is like nowhere else on earth.....

GT's, Doggies,Bones, Milkies, Snapper, Sailfish, Yellowfin.... endless...   

Gee Andre, You make it seem as though it is the GT mecca despite the threat of being overtaken by pirates, I'm nearly
 sold!!! Sounds like you not only have to worry about your gear being up to scratch, but the pirates as well !!!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 25, 2009, 12:30:17 PM
Havnt chosen seychells mate

just getting ideas for next year

want to plan something?

im sure your keen

Of course  ;)

Catch up this weekend if your not busy.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 01, 2009, 08:41:01 PM

The boys at Fish Head are drooling over the DVDs at the moment Andre, Gordon [fly chucker] has them at the moment and he will burn some copies.
I recorded them on to HD as I watched them but then the HD-DVD unit sh-t it self >:(, Oh well ::) start all over again.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 01, 2009, 09:48:31 PM
I think i had better chat to Gordon tomorrow about this DVD