Kurt Carlson

Bail closing during hard casts
April 03, 2009, 06:16:09 AM
Hey all,

I have been having trouble with my bail closing during hard casts.  On one occasion it took the rod out of my hand and over the side.  You never seen a guy jump off a boat so fast.  My son almost busted his gut laughing so hard. 

The reel is a Saragosa 18000 with 80lb powerpro braid on a Daiwa 8'3" Monster Mesh rod.  If the braid breaks, it always breaks at the bimini twist.

I have been taking a bit off the casts, but would sure like to get that extra distance.  Any technique advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bail closing during hard casts
April 03, 2009, 06:23:08 AM
I look forward to hearing reply's aswell, As I have just bought myself the same reel.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 08:00:53 AM
When starting out we had the same problem with our stellas.  It was caused by the force of the cast throwing the bail arm back to it's return position.  It can only do this if the motion of the cast is in the same direction as the bail arm normally closes (the bail arm loop is up near your top hand when open and ready to cast).  We solved it by after flipping the bail arm you rotate it around manually so it is sitting on the underside of the reel, basically facing away from you, so that the force of the cast is effectively trying to open the bail arm.  No more problems - it's a thing you have to consciously do though, you'll still get it snapping shut and the lure flying back into or around the boat on the odd occasion when you've forgot  :D

Hope that was clear.  How's the Saragosa go on the GT's?
Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:02:24 AM by travis heaps

Kurt Carlson

April 04, 2009, 05:00:08 AM
Thanks for the tip Travis.  Your explaination was very clear.  The other day was the worst yet and now I know why.  I was consciously stopping the reel with the line at the top placing the bail arm near the top.  Usually I open the bail randomly and I was trying to get into some sort of habit to stop the bail closing thing.  Appearently my habit was about 180 out.  Soon as this rain stops I will go out and purposely place the arm at the bottom.

I have only gotten one GT on the Saragosa so far, but it did really well on it.  Drag was smooth and it felt really solid.   

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 04, 2009, 05:57:44 AM
After you open the bail and grab the line, turn the rotor so it is comes to a stop on the bail trip.  No more inertia to close the bail.  This should work.

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 04, 2009, 06:30:36 AM
Yet to use mine yet...

Heading to Exmouth next month, So hopefully give it a run then.

Jarrad

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 04, 2009, 01:28:46 PM
i have the same reel but running 80pnd jiggmans braid and a fibre lite rod, i have been using this set up for over a year. i havnt had a prob with the bail arm once. the reels seen many fish and is still holding up great. have just put a stella 18000 on laybuy tho as i am going to use the saragosa on a xzoga jigging rod.
PoPpInG mAd

Kurt Carlson

April 12, 2009, 06:24:02 AM
Went out and did some more casting after cyclone Lin left and it seems the best approach was what Mark said.  I turn the bail to the stop and I have not had a single close of the bail arm and got a 15kg GT off the rocks while testing.....BONUS

Thanks for the help. 

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
April 12, 2009, 12:22:09 PM
Mmm weird..My mate just got back from the solomons and his Stella 18000 was doing the same thing the hole trip as well!!!

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 13, 2009, 06:16:51 AM
[quote
Mmm weird..My mate just got back from the solomons and his Stella 18000 was doing the same thing the hole trip as well!!!
quote]

That's unusual.  All my larger Stellas bails have to be closed manually.  Plus no inertia on the cast due to that rotor/bail stop brake thing.