jay currie

Crimping Leaders
May 10, 2009, 07:26:38 AM
Hey I was just wondering if you could just crimp your leader back on it self rather then do a nail knot? and if so whats the disadvantages?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Crimping Leaders
May 10, 2009, 08:53:15 AM
Jy, I assume you are referring to the finish on a twisted leader? I use crimps for my single strand leaders to create a bite leader.

I have no expertise in crimping so maybe one of our guys who has experience on heavy leaders in gamefishing can comment. My only concern would be what impact it has when you're crimping across the twists and whether you damage the mono in the process.

The old nail knot whch has been super glued is a pretty good method.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 10, 2009, 08:56:25 AM
Hi Jay

There's no problems crimping a leader... but here's some rules I stand by to minimise having failures when on the water.

Rule #1 - Use the correct size and style of crimp for you particular leader material... you would be surprised how much crimp strength varies between differnt brands of leader. Some leaders prefer aluminium sleeves and some prefer fig 8 copper crimps and some just prefer a uni knot(or whatever your preferred knot is). Also, make sure that when you slide you crimp on, it is a snug fit well before you start crimping.

Rule #2 - Test everything! I use a set of Shimano 45kg scales and every leader/crimp/knot gets tested, ie I pull a rigged 120lb leader to say around 35kg to test for weak points. This is also how I know which crimps/knots to use on which leader material. It also tells me which material prefers a thimble - flemish eye - line guard etc.

Rule #3 - Crimp with the correct technique and the correct tools. Always leave the ends flared and dont over/under crimp... as in, use enough, but not too much pressure. Finally, make sure you use the correct tool for the job... I've had the Jinkai crimpper for years and it's been great.

Hope this helps
<*///><

jay currie

May 10, 2009, 05:50:21 PM
Thanks heaps for the advice. I personally have more faith in crimping then my knots.

Brandon, I finally purchased a couple hammerheads they are very nice lures just hope I don't loose them straight away. I see what you mean about size and usability for a whole day, I think I better hit the gym before the next trip. I still haven't settled on a rod yet , my local tackle shop is getting some hots rods in for me to have a look at.
Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:57:31 PM by jay currie