PeterD

Re: Finding poppers in Sydney
June 23, 2009, 09:38:32 AM
Compleat Angler at Villawood has a few popper's in a glass cabinet. I'm not really sure what they are as i get most of mine online so i never really bothered looking at them. I know they are over the $100 mark so they are the quality u are looking for.

Give them a call and see what they have first.

I take my popping outfit on every LBG mission i do. I found popping to be more productive on the kings then live bait. Just make sure your ready at all time's. Its a long time between strikes but when they hit it makes it all worth it. If you not ready however it can scare the absolute crap out of you.

I was popping off the Tubes earlier this year nothing had happened on the ledge for about 2 hours it was real dead i had been popping for about an hour and a half and i was thinking about taking a break. I was looking at my feet day dreaming then 10m infront of me a 20 odd kg king jumps clear out the water my popper in its mouth then dove down into the deep. Problem was with me not concentrating i almost went in with it!!

Scott Anderson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 23, 2009, 11:22:36 AM
Hi Guys first time poster as Im new here. Sorry for the hijack question

What style of popper/stickbait do you find the best for Kings?

Peter good to here that someone is hooking Kings on poppers off the rocks as there are a lot of guys doing it but not many catching.

Scott

PeterD

June 23, 2009, 11:59:50 AM
lol i never said i landed it.

I'v hooked heaps of smaller kings on popper's they go ballistic for them. Biggest one i have landed off the rocks on a popper has only been about 8kg. That was with a halco roosta, stradic 4000 and a cut down shimano shorespin and 20lb line.

Been dusted plenty of times but with bigger poppers that make a hell of a lot more noise using heavier gear.

I find i can land more of them with the lighter tackle.

Its weird even with live baiting i find 15kg to be perfect when ever i have hooked a king on 24kg its dusted me but hook them on lighter gear and they seem to play a bit nicer.

PeterD

June 23, 2009, 12:12:05 PM
Hi Guys first time poster as Im new here. Sorry for the hijack question

What style of popper/stickbait do you find the best for Kings?

Peter good to here that someone is hooking Kings on poppers off the rocks as there are a lot of guys doing it but not many catching.

Scott

Sorry Scott i didn't really answer your question.

I found pretty much any of the popper's that the GT guys rate seem to work on the kings as well.

Fishing the rocks every second or so weekend makes it a pricey exercise so i mainly take cheaper popper's and they get flogged hitting the rocks and what not.

R2S Dumbell's 150 and 200 work well
Halco roosta's 135 although i'v never had a touch on a haymaker
Heru Cubera 150
Predator Research Lab's Razor
Williamson Jet popper's

They seem to be my go to popper's when i first get to a ledge.

Also i have found they don't seem to like the bright fluro colour's they seem to prefer the darker colour's. Although they love the gold roosta's.

Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:14:58 PM by PeterD

Scott Anderson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2009, 12:22:04 PM
Thanks Pete

Just seems to be alot of talk about guys trying to popper kings of the rock (me to) but you dont here about to many being hooked/landed. Ive been thinking are we using the right style of popper or are we just using what works on GT's and hoping for the best.
You would see more than me as you know Im over seas now, but just thinking about next month when Im back in Oz.
Thinking about making some up but just trying to work out the style

Scott

PeterD

June 23, 2009, 12:29:26 PM
How long are u back for? As u know there has been some big king's landed during the winter month's. Let me know if your heading down there while your back.

You moving back or just visiting?

Scott Anderson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2009, 12:39:44 PM
Just one week for a best mates wedding

Will be trying to get down the rocks for a morning or two as the whole family is coming back.

There are a few good popper shops here in Hong Kong so will be looking into the different styles to mix it with a winter King.

Scott

Dick Sweeney

July 12, 2009, 09:22:24 AM
I pop for kings ( jig and plastics too ) in Sydney off a kayak. Yes the gold Halco Rooster is a good one. Ive also had them take flouro green / and red. The comment about landing them on light gear could be down to how you play the fish. Early in the mornings I find that sometimes the puppy dog can be sleepy - so If you gently easy him up from the deep instead of crazy yanking and pulling - then he sometimes can quietly rise up without realising whats going on - when he sees the yak though that can be a different thing - but when he's close to the surface your job is half done - you just need a tight drag and take no prisoners and dont give him chance to head back down to his rocky bed. I find that the poppers work well early in the morning, plastics for the rest of the morning on the surface and a little deeper - when the sun gets too high you can get a few on the jig........... good luck.