Leigh Freestone

Ono Island
October 07, 2009, 07:47:10 PM
Hi All ive just booked a trip for 5 days popper fishing at Ono Island, If anyone has been there would appreciate some info on the place ie, What i can expect,most successful poppers ect. cheers.                                                                                                 

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ono Island
October 07, 2009, 08:43:16 PM
From what i can tell its a pretty new destination. That recent modern fishing article is one of the few (only actually) trip report ive seen from the ono lodge i think ur booked into, should be great. Cant wait to see the report, its probably our next trip as well. If you cant get a hold of that article i should have it so i could scan and mail it if you like.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
do you mean Ono island Fiji, Travis?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 07, 2009, 09:42:40 PM
yeah Jay, Oneta lodge, Ono island, Fiji. You thinking about it too?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
Yeah it has crossed my mind  ;D Looks pretty awesome.
Just got some other trips to do beforehand.

Dan Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 08, 2009, 01:08:39 PM
Hi Leigh

You'll be fishing almost the same waters as you would be out of Matava on Kadavu. My experience there was that big dark bloopers are a must-have in your tackle box. I fished PE8 with a 120lb twisty without any serious damage, alhtough we did fish mainly on the outer reef (no bommies). Large centre weighted jigs (Smith Nagasama 400's) fished nice and slow did the damage on the doggies - and some very large grouper.

I had some HECTIC sessions there, so eat your Weetabix in the mornings.

Cheers

Dan

Leigh Freestone

October 08, 2009, 05:21:09 PM
Ive got that mag but thanks any way Travis. Thanks for the info Dan, Pretty excited about getting a chance at some doggies, caught Gts before but no Dogs so far. How many and how big did you catch on your trip? Any special colours i need to get with the smiths? Any preference for brands of poppers? Any other Fav jigs?

cheers,

Leigh

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 08, 2009, 07:28:58 PM
Leigh, I think you will find that the GTs and doggies there will probably react the same way as they do in most other reef-based locations.

A range of poppers and stickbaits in a mix of colours is a good idea. I'm not sure colour does much - I've fished for GTs for a long time and have no more idea on colour than when I started! In fact, my personal colour now is wood - just varnished with no colour and I suppose that is a reponse to having drawn no conclusion on colour over time!

On doggies, the most effective jigs proven over time are small jigs fished very fast. Sevenseas Hookers have a legendary reputation. I have also had some success with big sliders fished slow for big fish like the big Nagamasas Dan referred to. Generally though, they react well to fast jigs.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2009, 12:17:05 PM
Leigh

You'd obviously be well served taking Brandon's advice on lure colour - 'jewellery for boys' and all that.  I was there almost exactly a year ago and it was generally overcast; the solid outline presented by the dark poppers might have meant a better silhouette/profile for the fish to latch on to.

Dave Noble (Ocean Blue) fished there recently and would certainly have his opinions....Dave?

I've got a week in the area in Feb, so let us know how you go.

Cheers

Dan

John Westcott

October 09, 2009, 04:12:46 PM
Leigh,
I did a trip there in march this year, and apart from being am awesome trip, which I am sure you are glad to hear!
I can tell you that none of us brought any green Poppers home they are all now decorating the reef. I am certainly no expert but as a report on what happend for us, Green was a standout colour. In fact I waited two days before pulling my first green one out, and smash first cast!!!