John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Whitsunday Weekend
December 15, 2009, 11:58:37 PM
hey guys  just thought i would post a quick trip report of some popping action in the whitsundays
last weekend.

myself and a few friends decided to spend a couple of days cruising and throwing poppers around the
whitsunday group covering every where from Hayman in the north to Lindeman in the south with a ton of islands in between creating current lines every where we looked the scenery down there is amazing !!!

The first day we had an early start which was extremely quiet with only a couple of follows, and the odd strike from mack tuna and some spanish mackeral, that afternoon though things really fired
up with the fish coming on the chew with the turn of the tide and one corner of an island we could see the fish cruising hard up against the rocks 2 poppers go in and all of a sudden 20 fish come from everywhere to attack the lures and a double hookup results on 2 fish about 15 kg, this one corner produced 5 fish before they went quiet from that spot but we only had to find the next pressure point to get another strike or a fish, we had some bust offs from small fish but we also had some massive wipeouts on fish we estimated at well over the 30kg mark.

After a great nights sleep in the boat and waking up to such a beautiful back drop it was'nt hard
to get excited about another days popping, although today was'nt as crazy as the first but we managed to find some nice fish with one estimated between 25 and 28 kg, the spaniards gave us a bit of a towling on the second day and we found some greedy little mack tuna with eyes bigger than there belly's attacking 150 cuberas and 140 ebipops.

overall it was a great trip with some good fish and also seeing a few things i had'nt seen before
like a pack of 20 or more gt cruising the current lines and pressure waves which was amazing and we even had a comp on who could catch the smallest fish when we anchored up for the night. most of the fish caught were between 16 and 25kg with the one bigger fish, and also seeing a massive gt
follow a popper back to the boat only about 30 meters from were tourists were snorkelling near
a major resort.

We will be back !!!

cheers

Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:04:38 AM by John Campbell

Aaron Concord

Re: Whitsunday Weekend
December 16, 2009, 07:50:23 AM
Hi John,

Sounds like you had a great trip!
Another GT fisher who is giving more cred to the Whitsunday fishery.

Love the current shots.....gets me every time when I see current like that!

Cheers

Aaron.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 08:27:37 AM
Oh my god bro that rocky island looks like game time!

haha nice conditions and sounds like a sweet trip mate, good stuff

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 09:11:49 AM

Hi Aaron yeah there is some good fishing in this area for sure, i had to be very vague in the report of
where we caught the fish as some of the locals down there would put a bounty on my head if i devulged too
much information, but i think most gt fishers would just have keep there eyes open to see the sign posts !!

Hey Scotty there is a multitude of outcrops like that there bro, the current lines were insane and these were
on fairly small tides for this area and some spots we had the boat doing 4 knots just hold position
i am keeping an eye out for the weather for x mas mate  fingers crossed its flat  ;)

cheers John

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 10:17:14 AM
You've got my mobile, I will be in brisbane from 23 Dec to 4 Jan just waiting for your call. Apart from xmas day and new years eve the period is open to fishing as far as I am concerned

Not sure what wife's view on that is, but with any luck I can be on a plane to Townsville before she knows I am gone... ;D

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 10:52:06 AM
Sensational work John. Great pics and report. The place is absolutely loaded with fish holding structure, isn't it?

Even though I can't actually identify any of the locations in the pics, the general area has a special identity, I reckon. Top stuff, and thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Angus

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 11:43:53 AM

Thanks Angus  your dead right so many places to throw at i reckon we only covered about a quarter
of possible locations that would hold fish, some spots were not the most obvious spots but still held
fish.

Where we spent the night it felt like we could have been a hundred mile from civilization, it was definately
the right place to enjoy a couple (maybe more  :) ) beverages as the sun went down.

would love to do some more exploring to some of the islands north of there next time

Peter Agapiou

December 16, 2009, 11:58:10 AM
Nice work, but where was the phone call?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 16, 2009, 02:59:13 PM
Mate nice work,love the ripple fisher in action!!

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 17, 2009, 12:09:40 AM

Hey Pete  i called your place and spoke to your wife and she said you had carols by candlelight

and you couldn't make it  ;D :D

Nathan the boat never leaves home without the ripple fisher  :)

Peter Agapiou

December 17, 2009, 09:24:31 AM
she  would say that,i was down home jack fishing.

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 11:54:49 AM
you made it down there.. looks like a great place to spend afew days, good to see you found some nice fish. pete was on a promise to go to carols that night.
PoPpInG mAd

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 21, 2009, 11:12:02 AM
Great stuff, that place will be home again one day!