Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hollow mainline
December 18, 2009, 07:25:01 PM
I realised the other day that im not real sure about using hollow mainline - this was after ordering a 600yd 130lb spool of the stuff.                                                  So here is what i think i know. Please correct, add, modify or ask additional questions...im all ears!               -the main advantage is that you can splice a length of single strand mono into the hollow giving you a very smooth connection with near 100% strength.                       - This ideal for swimming subsurface sticks.                  - With this connection compared to a twisty you lose abrasion resistance and impact absorbtion.                - Is hollow thicker in diameter than same rated non hollow?                                 - To rig it you would use a rigging needle to feed 30cm or so of the mono into the hollow. Do you need to feed a tag back out of the hollow? Do you need to glue, whip or secure this tag end? If so whats the best way? Also whats the max size mono you could fit into 130lb jb hollow? What size do people run and how do you rig it?                                 So at the moment the only time i see hollow being an advantage is when you want to use a single stand leader and the only time id want to do that is for a subsurface stickbait?   Please excuse the poor formatting, i typed this on my pos mobile phone out here at work:) 

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Hollow mainline
December 18, 2009, 09:53:28 PM
Hi Travis,

I've been using hollow braid for my last few trips - but not in the way you are looking to run it.  Ive been splicing it back into itself to form a loop, which I then catspaw to a twisty.

The way you are looking to go should work well.  I think you might need to run more than 30cm of mono up inside the braid - around a meter should be enough.  To get the mono up there you will need one of the JB needles designed for the job.  You will need to serve the end of the braid where the mono exits. You shouldn't need any glue.

The only downside I can see is if you get busted up and need to re-rig...but then again if you get good enough at making the connection (or carry some spare spools !!).

Hollow braid will cost you a little casting distance.  But does give a very,very strong connection...

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 18, 2009, 10:11:06 PM
I have been playing with using a uni onto the leader and and then shoving the leader tag up the hollow by punching a hole in the hollow next to the uni. Is holding up great on the scales but yet to try it on the water.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 18, 2009, 10:12:15 PM
Thanks Dave, so do you sacrafice casting distance simply for the no bimini loop?  Also what do you mean by serve the braid where the mono exits?  Unrelated but any luck in the kayak yet? 

Doug Mcleod1

December 18, 2009, 11:28:22 PM
Hi Travis

I have been using JB hollow for a while now and use a similar system to Dave , I also splice a small end loop and make a loop to loop connection with a twisted leader. I have tried splicing leader into the main line and finishing it with a serve (binding the connection between the hollow and leader)the same as you would finish a wind-on ,but found after repeated casting the serve began to wear pretty thin , so I prefer the loop connection.
The diameter of JB 130 hollow is 0.662mm and the JB solid 130 is 0.687mm , so there is not alot in it with the hollow being a touch finer.
You can splice approximately 60lb to 200lb mono leader into JB 130 hollow without any problems. I use a loop needle to form my end loops , but it can be done with a piece of doubled over single strand wire , and to run mono up the inside of the hollow I use pipe needles , the same as you would use with Dacron.
The other advantage I have found with JB hollow is if you happen to loose or wear the top section of line you can just splice a new section of line back in as needed , it's a 100% connection , no more half empty spools.(very handy if you are on a long range charter)
I hope some of the above info helps

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 19, 2009, 07:49:49 AM
I have been playing with using a uni onto the leader and and then shoving the leader tag up the hollow by punching a hole in the hollow next to the uni. Is holding up great on the scales but yet to try it on the water.

Not sure I understand you but a simple effective way is to insert the mono into the hollow then tie a double overhand in that section of mono and braid so that it is 'locked' - pretty cool and simple connection. Coat it on friendly flexi glue to avoid wear on the knot profile.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 20, 2009, 12:22:38 AM

Not sure I understand you but a simple effective way is to insert the mono into the hollow then tie a double overhand in that section of mono and braid so that it is 'locked' - pretty cool and simple connection. Coat it on friendly flexi glue to avoid wear on the knot profile.

What I worked out is having a tag and mainline side on the hollow braid free allows me to tie a uni onto the leader with a lot of pressure very easily. Then its very quick and simple to insert the leaders tag up the hollow by poking a hole into the hollow next to the uni. I picked up a flyline accessory nail knot tool that comes with a tubular piece and a needle. Replacing the uni with a nail is even more effective. The effect is that the mainline itself is used to create the serve and there is no mucking around with floss or similar. I only have dacron to play with atm though as the JB 10lb hollow is taking forever to arrive

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 20, 2009, 09:06:48 PM
Hi Trais,

Doug's answered the bit on serving the end of the connection.

The JB hollow doesn't cast as well as Varivas in the corresponding breaking strain - just a function of diameter.  But I think you get a stronger connection with the splice and I seem to get fewer wind knots or ring-wraps with this way of connecting leaders.

Kayak - Wrong Dave mate !!  Not been out in a yak for years.  Great weather for it in the UK today - about minus 5 outside right now with 4-5 inches of snow and more falling as I type.  Just the weather for MARMITE on toast  ;D

Tight lines   Dave

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2010, 12:33:13 AM
I finally received the 100lb JB hollow and not have any joy at all getting 200lb black magic up it. Tried the splicing needles as well

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 07, 2010, 12:34:48 AM
Interesting Rohit...have just received my 130lb and am just waiting on the needle to arrive..fingers crossed I can get the 200 spliced

MikeOsborn

January 09, 2010, 02:26:26 AM
I used a lot of Hollow JB in mexico, we would often have to re rig 5-10 topshots/leaders per day.

Silp a a blunt rigging needle up the braid and slightly singe the end so it wont fray.

cut your mono or f/c straight  and round the edgeds using some light wet and dry sand paper or an emery board(dont use the bosses wifes nail file though!!!! ::) )

slide the mono up the braid inch by inch, after 6 or so inches it should become quite easy. keep going for as long as you want.

When its up as far as you want smooth the braid over the mono and at the end of the braid slide it up the mono 6 inches and apply a small amount of clear bond or similar flexible glue and slide the hollow braid back down and smooth out.

I finish it off by using a top shot tackle bobbin and whip the connection and seal with a bit more clear bond.

You can also use sato crimps but they are no good for casting purposes.

We got this one on the first topshot I ever did so that gave me a bit of confidence in this connection

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 09, 2010, 04:32:40 AM
I used a lot of Hollow JB in mexico, we would often have to re rig 5-10 topshots/leaders per day.

Silp a a blunt rigging needle up the braid and slightly singe the end so it wont fray.

cut your mono or f/c straight  and round the edgeds using some light wet and dry sand paper or an emery board(dont use the bosses wifes nail file though!!!! ::) )

slide the mono up the braid inch by inch, after 6 or so inches it should become quite easy. keep going for as long as you want.

When its up as far as you want smooth the braid over the mono and at the end of the braid slide it up the mono 6 inches and apply a small amount of clear bond or similar flexible glue and slide the hollow braid back down and smooth out.

I finish it off by using a top shot tackle bobbin and whip the connection and seal with a bit more clear bond.

You can also use sato crimps but they are no good for casting purposes.

We got this one on the first topshot I ever did so that gave me a bit of confidence in this connection

Did you try 1.4mm 200lb leader? How did that go?

MikeOsborn

January 09, 2010, 07:58:00 AM
up to 220lb moimoi FC into jb hollow 130. mostly 150 and 180 though

Doug Mcleod1

January 09, 2010, 11:17:06 AM
According to the data sheet I have, you can splice 30-80lb mono into 80lb hollow, 30-100lb mono into 100lb hollow or 60-200lb mono into 130 hollow. I would post the table , but I don't seem to be able to get it to work