Simon

TuffTackle reels questions answered
March 18, 2010, 11:32:24 AM
Eg. Parts + Labour

The material content is less than 50% by number of parts, made in AU, so it is labeled correctly.
" Made in Australia from imported and local components"

If it was 40% imported parts it would be labeled
"Made in Australia from Local and imported parts"

If the final appearance of the imported parts significantly looked different to the product once put together in AU with 50%+ imported parts, then It would be simply "Made in Australia"

Now the reasons we make some parts here and assemble here is quite simple.
- Most component manufacturers (contractors) , are in China and Korea
The tolereances are world standard.

The main problem with these imported parts is they do not cost in reject % of manufacture (every part they make must be sold)

For example: When I make something in AU, I cost +30% for error = actual cost.
This is a reality that can't be ignored, if high level of quality is to be delivered to the client.

So reels manufactured in China have a 20 - 30% fault rate (they do not reject faulty parts after assembly (which is done on a continuous conveyor system, where assemblers sit in booths and add one part to each sub assembly as it passes by them, so it's time limited)
At the end of the assembly line there is a 'De-bugging team' They check the reels. If it is not right they agriculturaly fix it.

So for the explanation above, you can see why Chinese assembled reels have a bad reputation for failure.

So for my designs, we do our own assembly and use some of our own parts to ensure it's done properly, for obvious reasons.

For some Japanese brands, the brand has it's own employees watching every step of the Chinese assembly and manufacture (this is done for mid to low range reels.)

Most Highend reels are assembled in their own factory, and will import a % of components, same as what we do, to ensure a consistant level of quality.

As for what and how we manufacture in AU, parts are made by local manufacturers to our spec with the certificates to verify the materials have been tested for necessary specs. eg Hardness.

If any of the parts are faulty (out of spec) we send them back for replacement or credit.

If we send parts back to OS for credit or replacement, then we will be made to pay for it down the line, OR THEY WILL BE USED AND SOLD TO ANOTHER COMPANY

For all of our local contractors they sign confidentiality agreements, for good reasons. I am not about to give away 1000's of hours of R+D info for anything.

Photo's and write ups of TuffTackle reel building will be published, but not online, leading into next season.

Local contractors we use are :
Plating company
Gear cutting company
5 axis mill machining company
CNC turning company
Automation design company
Carbonfibre component manufacturers
AU sole distributors of imported USA materials
2 x Assembly contractors
Engineer
Fitter/ machinist company
Laser cutting company

Now that we have a considerable content of local manufacture abilities, we can now move on with the intended manufacture of a 100% AU made reel, which should be released in August.
Proto-type testing will start in May.

If you have a question I can answer, just ask. I will answer it.

If you have a comment to try and stir the pot. I've got too much else to do.

Also one of our original reel testers was removed from our website, at the reel testers sponsor's request.

Simon

Re: TuffTackle reels questions answered
March 18, 2010, 11:48:15 AM
Sorry,
Missing from the top of the first post is:

The Snipers are made from 40% locally made parts and 60% imported parts.

Production cost for building a Sniper reel in Australia is more than 50% of the final cost.

Therefore it is correctly labeled "Made in Australia from Imported and local components"

Simon

Re: TuffTackle reels questions answered
March 18, 2010, 01:06:30 PM