Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
popper add ons
April 01, 2010, 09:36:12 AM
I notice on some poppers the addition of a triangular tail .My question is does it add much to the poppers action?Are they weighted? And you dont seem to see many in the mouths of GTs. I notice that blades are used are there any other add ons that are used.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: popper add ons
April 01, 2010, 11:56:40 AM
G'day Gary, someone more knowledgeable in this area can probably answer the triangular tail question more adequately than me, but I was under the impression it's a float for lure action purposes.

Regarding other add-ons though, I have tied fly material onto singles and trebles at the back end of my lures, with some success, and this has 2 benefits: (a) it helps stabilise the action of the lure a bit, acting like a mini drogue in the water, and (b) it also adds some flash and sparkle to the tail end of the lure. I am now just speculating, but I wonder if some flash on the tail hook also helps if there are toothy critters around, to encourage tail bites which in turn minimizes the chance of the entire lure getting snipped off (there's also a chance I might be talking completely out of my a###, and tying fly material on the back hook makes no difference whatsoever ;D).

Cheers
Angus

Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:58:16 AM by Angus Hulme

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2010, 01:09:00 PM
Swivel blade at the tail helps to keep the popper in the water instead of cartwheeling , in certain conditions .

Jon .
Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:01:45 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 08:22:34 PM
Thanks John and Angus but my question re the triangular add on .I was looking through a site at hammerheads and some were rigged with what looked to be a back to front cup with an eye to attach a hook to. I just havent read anything on this or other sites that eludes to what they are. Am I missing something god I hope this is not a stupid question

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 08:30:11 PM
sorry Jon Li

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 08:52:33 PM
I had to have a good laugh at what you posted, Gary - especially the bit about "God, I hope this is not a stupid question!"
I assume what you're referring to is lures like the G Cup short? This additional float segment add to the presence of the lure and help make the poppers considerably easier to pop. Most people don't rig an additional hook on the back of the float segment.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 09:01:56 PM
Its always going to be a measured enquiry Brandon if you dont know what your talking about. I have seen these on pencils as well but you never read of anyone discussing them or in the limited time I have been searching this forum you dont see photos of them.Do most GT fishermen take them of the lure.
I breathed a great sigh of relief after I read your reply thanks Brandon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 09:20:43 PM
Gary, there are very, very few questions we ever regard as stupid although I will admit we have had a couple in the past. We tend to get most of these by PM though.

By and large, if someone feels the need to ask the question, then they obviously want to know and we'll respond.

Of course, I won't deny we get the odd chuckle from time to time!  ::)

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Le Vi Hua

April 03, 2010, 04:24:12 PM
The triangular tail add on on the back of some hammerhead lures are floats. And do make the rear of the lure sit higher in the water.  They pop much like a normal popper (probably even easier) glide just under the surface while swimming with a slight wobble and creating a bubble trail. It's a deadly action and works awesome. The lure only uses a front treble as well but hook ups weren't affected too much. I'm taking one over to Fiji this month can't wait to see it get smashed.

Also hammerhead make a shakura which doesn't have a tail add on. But has a slopped cup which makes it dive under the surface about 20cm while leaving a bubble trail with a slight wobble. Also deady. On the last morning of our Cairns to Cooktown trip no one hooked anything. But with the shakura I got busted off twice in 15min (+20kg mori wrasse and a +30kg GT) and later landed a smaller mori wrasse. Expensive morning but well worth it.

Not a big fan of the huge hammerheads but the small to medium ones certainly have a place in my popper box.

Le Vi Hua

April 20, 2010, 03:32:17 PM
Just returned from my Kadavu GT trip. Here's the low down.

Buy one! Or more!!!

There brilliant.