NathanMcNiece

pe4-5 setup
May 07, 2010, 07:12:09 PM
hey guys,

I am currently looking at buying a sw8000pg and matching it with a rod that will be able to handle some jigging off SEQ but also be able to back up as a heavy soft plastic rod. I have been considering the saltiga s-extrime combi jerk 64 which seems to fit the bill, but besides that I havnt been able to find too much else.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Nathan

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: pe4-5 setup
May 07, 2010, 07:23:39 PM
Been on the hunt for a similar combo myself for use with PE4 line on mainly demersal species. Really considering the Yamaga Galahad 58/7, looks like a very respectable rod at a nice price.

NathanMcNiece

May 07, 2010, 07:36:37 PM
thanks jay, seems like a very nice, light rod. Although one thing that has made me think the combi jerk is the length at 6"4 it is more usable for big soft plastics and bay rubbers etc. But then again rods such as  the yamaga would be a better option for jigging, so I guess there is a trade off for each rod. Have you had a look at the maria steady jigging range of rods? They seem very nice in the hand.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2010, 07:51:47 PM
6'4" sounds way too long for me, although I must admit I don't really use soft plastics very often. I'm used to jigging with rods around the 5'3" mark so the Yamaga which is 5'8" sounds like a reasonable option for the bigger bay rubbers and fluttering jigs. I haven't looked at the maria jigging rods, where you can you buy them?

NathanMcNiece

May 07, 2010, 08:13:53 PM
yeah I agree 6"4 definately is a bit long. The maria range of rods are currently in stock at tackle warehouse in brisbane, and I know fishhead have them in stock on occasion. The maria steady jigging pe3-5 is 5"7 and rated to 100-250g.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 19, 2010, 10:22:08 PM
I recently swapped over my T-curve deep Jig 200 for a Fin Nor Ahab 30-50 lb rod. Both are great, I only gave the T-curve to my brother in favour of the Fin Nor for the extra lenght to toss lures around when I want to. Apart from the length they have an identical action. I figured the extra 6 inches or thereabouts would make a difference. Both are worth a look and in the line class you are looking at, another rod would maybe be the Saltiga Hiramasa 63B? I held one the other day and it was awesome and rated to 19 kilos so a little less than the previous 2.