paulymassy

Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)
June 03, 2010, 06:40:13 PM
Hey all GT Popping members,

In the June/July holidays i am going to a remote place called camp island more commonly known as silver shoals fishing lodge.
I have heard from a number of people that the GT popping there is exceptional
I am just wondering if anyone has been there or had any experience in the area.
The island sits in abbot bay in between Bowen and Townsville.

Cheers

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)
June 03, 2010, 09:10:37 PM
Hi Paul

I live in the area and have fished the spots you will be likely to fish a fair bit and there is definately some excellent GT fishing to be had, there is the Abbot point coal loading jetty that holds plenty of fish and Cape Upstart has some rocky headlands
that hold fish although sometimes they can be downright stubborn but thats GT fishing !!!

there is another island out wide of Camp called Holbourne Island that is pretty good also,  should be plenty of Mackeral around that time of year too at all these places

most fish we catch around these areas are between 6 and 20kg with the average being about 15kg   but have hooked and seen much bigger fish ( especially around the jetty )

We usually fish  Pe 6 with poppers like the 100 and 125g Cuberas and that seems to do the job on 99% of fish
Pencils should work nicely on the Mackeral if they are hungry and there are some monsters caught around the jetty at times

Cheers John

paulymassy

Re: Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)
June 03, 2010, 10:09:51 PM
thanks for the information mate.

by the jetty do you mean the camp island jetty or the coal mining jetty.