• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Exploring New Territory
September 09, 2007, 09:12:00 PM
We all know about some of the more reliable and well-serviced locations that provide some great GT action.

Next year or sometime in the future, i would like to suss out some new frontiers, just think about all the islands, islets, cayes, flats etc... that exist in the Indian and Pacific Oceans that haven't seen even popper.

It may well be very difficult and could end up being a total dissappointment but there are definately VW sized GTs just waiting in that perfect location, somewhere.

So, what are people's thoughts on where to go?

Plenty of water around the Solomans, Kiribati (Phoenix Islands), Chesterfield islands (East of New Cal) .... islands off Africa etc...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Exploring New Territory
September 09, 2007, 09:17:36 PM
my personal opinion would be to give the Solomons a miss until things settle down over there. It's isn't the safest place in the world these days.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

MikeOsborn

September 10, 2007, 07:03:54 PM
Some friends just got back from a surf trip to the solomans and said all was good as long as you are not in Honiara(sp).

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 10, 2007, 08:43:02 PM
Mike - it's true that Honiara is the worst spot to be but I wouldn't be wandering around the rest of Guadalcanal either. I'd also be pretty careful if I was going to Malaita as well considering all the trouble in Honiara was started by Malaitans.

There are safer places in the world you can go fishing - or surfing. The problem with the Solomons is that while islands like Choiseul, Makaira, Santa Isabel etc may be reasonably safe, they are difficult to access without going through Honiara.

Current DFAT travel warnings are in place:

Civil Unrest / Political Tension

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in the Solomon Islands because of the risk of civil unrest. Australians in the Solomon Islands, particularly in Honiara, should maintain a high level of personal security awareness and closely monitor the media and other local information sources for information about possible new safety or security risks.

Some elements of the security situation remain fluid after significant civil unrest and allegedly politically-motivated violence in Honiara in mid-April 2006.

Parliament resumed sitting on 7 August 2007 for a three week period. During this time, a possible vote of no-confidence could lead to civil unrest, particularly in the capital Honiara.

You should avoid protests and large gatherings as they may turn violent. Such events could become catalysts for violence and civil disorder, and Australians could be targeted or become victims of violence directed at others.

There remains some potential for further ethnically-targeted violence.

Crime

Criminal activity is of concern, particularly in Honiara, and has sometimes involved violence. House and vehicle break-ins occur, with expatriates particularly targeted. Some episodes have involved violence, including rape, and the use or threatened use of knives, rocks and sticks. The access by some elements of the community to firearms continues to be a concern. There have been some isolated incidents of stoning of vehicles. Motorists should be wary of such incidents, particularly at night.

Isolated incidents of harassment of expatriates have increased in Honiara since the civil disorder in April 2006. Staff of the Australian High Commission have been advised to take additional practical security measures, including exercising a high degree of personal security in their residences and to avoid walking, running or cycling after dark or in the early hours of the morning in Honiara.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 10, 2007, 09:02:03 PM
Gentlemen,

Well I would definatly give that joint a miss, Thanks for the great info B

but hey Luke-, I like the thought of seeking out new frontiers, going in search of GT's where no popper has splashed down - of course I have absolulty no idea of the best destination and would only be their in a "tagg along" capacity but I bet we catch some big trevors with our collective knowledge......... Name it - let go !!!!!!! 

8)