Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leleuvia Island Fiji.
September 30, 2010, 08:08:23 PM
G'day guys,
 In november I'm heading to Leleuvia Island off the coast of Fiji for 8 weeks.  Predominantly I will be doing marine conservtion volunteer work (dive surveying, fish population estimating) with south pacific projects. But there will be some scope for a bit of fishing! Both landbased and out of the dive boat. I'm not really sure what to expect so I was just wondering if anyone has been there, or been to some of the neighbouring islands such as Wakaya and Batiki.

Im planning on taking just the one rod (because I will be pretty restricted due to my dive gear) which will be either an Illex or a Calstar and my 1800 Stella SW packed with 100lb braid. Any suggestions which lures I should be taking or additional gear?

Thanks Guys.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Leleuvia Island Fiji.
September 30, 2010, 08:45:45 PM
I have fished VERY close to Leleuvia on several occassions.

Landbased from the island itself you will very likely catch nice bluefin trevally with the possibility of a GT.

You certainly dont have to travel far by boat to find nice GT's.
There are bommies,reef edges and passages that have really strong current flow when the tide is moving.

You should have success there and the bonus is it can handle some bad weather over on that side.

100lb Braid is Good.
Skipping poppers work well over there (skipjacks do the job) as do bloopers and stickbaits.

Pete

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2010, 10:22:28 PM
Thanks Pete.

Any info is good information. Im still a novice, only have a few fish to my belt. Good to hear there will be enough there to keep me occupied when I am not diving! What else would i expect to encounter on the surface there? do they have any pelagics pass through there?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 01, 2010, 02:07:27 PM
I have caught mack tuna there before along with Red Bass.

Mate to be honest on the outer reef edge you can get anything from Mackeral,Dolphinfish,Wahoo,yellowfin etc etc....

The fringing reef and deep water is right near by.

Pete

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 01, 2010, 11:30:58 PM
Sounds promising! I cant wait!