Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guys,

We aren't pointing the finger at anybody - merely reminding members of the purpose of this site - which is GT popping and stickbaiting. We also have jigging and tuna casting as they share a lot of similarities in transferable equipment, rigging styles and techniques etc

The reason why the content quality of this site is so high is due to our highly specialized and specific subject matter. We do not want to be everything to everyone - there are other forums out there for that.

We are prepared to be flexible in some cases but let's not push it too far.

As a sign to the members that this is merely a reminder - we will keep this thread open.

Please continue to enjoy the site!

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Hey Scott, for what it's worth, and without wanting to upset the masses, I remember a little session popping for GT's on the back of the Odyssey at Bugatti (after a hard day popping from the dories of course), when one of the guys jagged a fusi on the popper quite by accident.  Sure enough the fusi was subsequently pinned onto a live bait hook and sent back off the back of the boat directly into the middle of probably 6-10 circling GT's.

Y'know what....the GT's would not touch it!  We went on to take a further 2-3 GTs on the poppers whilst the fusi swam quite happily unmolested around the back of the boat in full view of the circling GT's.  It wasn't until the guy holding the rod finally got bored of everyone else catching the fish that he wound the little fusi in to swap over to a popper rod.  Out of pure sympathy and part interest I offered to dispatch the fusi for him whilst he re rigged.

I clocked him over the head (the fusi that is) partially butterflied both sides so the fillets were flapping in the current and sent him back over the duck board for another swim.....would you believe it was snapped up by a 25kg GT before I could even open the bail arm to lower it deeper into the water.  My curiosity satisfied, I retreated to the bar for another cold one.

I'm not sure exactly what it was that set them off, whether it was the blood coming of the bait or the seductive wiggle of the fillets in the water....one things for sure though, the poppers were much more successful (and fun) than dunking the live fusi  - and a lot less stressful, I would imagine, for the fusi!       
Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:19:08 PM by Peter Childs

Peter Agapiou

i like to use a small dog or cat,lol

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Settle Peter!

Andrew Pennisi

I know I'm a little  late commenting on this post, however thought it was worth noting the largest Gt (50+kg) I have seen landed took a live bait footed under a balloon.  It was caught off Dunk island over a ship wreck in approx 80 meters of water.  Must also say we got smoked by several other fish that day on the poppers and jigs.     

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Live baiting is a very proven lbg technique however there is at least one other forum that is well known for its  lbg and is mainly concerned with live baiting so i advise others to check there firstly i think its not really appreciate for this forum .
Personally I find it as an angler boring I prefer to cast whether its high speed spinning for tuna or mackerel , using tuna hardbodies such as tackle house/souls for both species and  poppers and stick baits for gt,s but also for all three .

South of the border there has been a shift in attitudes and kingfish is being regularly targeted from land using Gt rods, poppers and stickbaits successfully however the majority still live bait .

What i like about this forum is that apart from the jigging section it is dedicated to casting lures for Gt, Tuna and kingfish  all done by casting the techniques used for Gt fishing share similarities to casting for tuna and same with kingfish and all can be done from land if you have the right spots and experience. no disrespect to anglers who live bait for Gt's  from boat or land but i agree with both Luke and Brandon's post   live baiting discussions should be done in a forum that is dedicated to that and its not hard to find . No disrespect to south African anglers probably the best lbg fishos around not to mention the amount who are directly involved by working for gt popping charter operators 
Personally just love to cast (hate game boat trawling as well 8)
Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:37:03 AM by Gareth Branicki